Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

8gpm XJET

I've had the same failure problem on all three of my M-5's, the little plasitic pieces that squeeze the metal tabs together get weak and eventually break off. To me, it's a flaw in the design, and should be looked into by X-terrior.

Lance,

You can buy the whole upper piece the black piece w/ everything in it, the metal tabs etc. from Xterior for $17.00 I've bought several and keep spares because of the metal tabs that can break and also because over time & a lot of use the fan width decreases down. Now other dont sell that whole pece and others that do sell it for a least double the money call Xterior and tell them others have bought it for $17.00 and they will get it to you for that price.

With all the use & abuse I give the M5 I change them out every 4- 8 months

As for psi vs gpm If I remember I'll call Ron today and see if he can come & explain all this

JL

I've had the same failure problem on all three of my M-5's, the little plasitic pieces that squeeze the metal tabs together get weak and eventually break off. To me, it's a flaw in the design, and should be looked into by X-terrior.

Agreed, though my problem was the metal keeper falling out and the entire outer plastic housing falling off and getting lost. Once that keeper comes out, it won't stay in. I've had success using a piece of 12 guage wire, but I really shouldn't have to jury-rig a nozzle I paid $160.00 for!

I just got off the phone with Mike from Xterior Sales, the PSI chart will work 80% of the time, but orifice size is dependent on the machine its used on. You HAVE to factor PSI & GPM not just one or the other. For instance A 3 gpm 3500psi would use a 6 up to a 9 at the most, but a 5.5 gpm at 3500 psi should use a 13 orifice and 8 & 9 GPM machines should use a 16 usually or larger.

Also over time machines can lose pressure, if they arent repacke and the orifice size you using may not work the same on a worn out machine, fix the machine or use a smaller orifice until you fix it.

I also talked to Mike about some of the problems with the M5, like the clip falling out, the fan decreasing or the metall fan breaking. They are working on getting replacement parts made, A lot of the M5 is Italian made and is not easy to get replacement parts , but they are in the process of getting them. As for the clip no great answer from Mike. I use piece of coat hanger and cut & bend it and it doesnt fall out any more. I buy the upper black section off Xterior for $17 and change them out as fan decreases or metal breaks

So for the PSI vs GPM debate we are all right & wrong, it depends on the machine. The distributer that sell the Xjet usually just go off the PSI chart. If you want o know for sure what size orifice you should use call Xterior then buy from who ever you want.

JL

5.5 gpm at 3500 psi should use a 13 orifice

As you can see from my previous post, you and I agree. But, I do want to clarify somthing AND disagree with Xterior.

First, the clarification: a 5.5 machine using a #13 orifice will not be running 3500 PSI. It will be running at about 500psi. In fact, a 5.5/2000 and a 5.5/3500 will both operate identically with a #13 orifice.

Now for the disagreement: Xterior, PLEASE stop marketing the xjet based on PSI. Anyone who understands positive displacement pumps and changing pressure with tip sizes knows the PSI rating of your pump means NOTHING. What?!? That's blasphemy!!! No, it's not. Here's why:

The PSI rating of a pump is only significant as an upper boundary of the pump's capability. As long as the orifice is not so small as to over-restrict the flow, for any given flow (X gpm), the line pressure will is dependent only on the orifice size. i.e. a #9 orifice would perform IDENTICALLY in a 4gpm/10k PSI machine and in a 4gpm/2k PSI machine. They would both be moving 4gpm with a line pressure of about 500psi.

As you can tell, I am pretty confident in my assessment of the situation. However, I was not involved in the design nor have I made any attempts to reverse engineer the unit. Hence, my observations are somewhat anecdotal. That said, if anyone from xterior wishes to correct me, I would love to hear what you have to offer regarding the subject.

As you can see from my previous post, you and I agree. But, I do want to clarify somthing AND disagree with Xterior.

First, the clarification: a 5.5 machine using a #13 orifice will not be running 3500 PSI. It will be running at about 500psi. In fact, a 5.5/2000 and a 5.5/3500 will both operate identically with a #13 orifice.

Now for the disagreement: Xterior, PLEASE stop marketing the xjet based on PSI. Anyone who understands positive displacement pumps and changing pressure with tip sizes knows the PSI rating of your pump means NOTHING. What?!? That's blasphemy!!! No, it's not. Here's why:

The PSI rating of a pump is only significant as an upper boundary of the pump's capability. As long as the orifice is not so small as to over-restrict the flow, for any given flow (X gpm), the line pressure will is dependent only on the orifice size. i.e. a #9 orifice would perform IDENTICALLY in a 4gpm/10k PSI machine and in a 4gpm/2k PSI machine. They would both be moving 4gpm with a line pressure of about 500psi.

As you can tell, I am pretty confident in my assessment of the situation. However, I was not involved in the design nor have I made any attempts to reverse engineer the unit. Hence, my observations are somewhat anecdotal. That said, if anyone from xterior wishes to correct me, I would love to hear what you have to offer regarding the subject.

Thank you, Phillip, for making what I have been trying to say much more easy to understand!! :lgjump:

Lance,

You can buy the whole upper piece the black piece w/ everything in it, the metal tabs etc. from Xterior for $17.00 I've bought several and keep spares because of the metal tabs that can break and also because over time & a lot of use the fan width decreases down. Now other dont sell that whole pece and others that do sell it for a least double the money call Xterior and tell them others have bought it for $17.00 and they will get it to you for that price.

With all the use & abuse I give the M5 I change them out every 4- 8 months

As for psi vs gpm If I remember I'll call Ron today and see if he can come & explain all this

JL

Thanks for the info Jeff. But I do have one question, whenever I have removed the whole black thing off the end of a broken m-5, I've always had to break it off. It doesn't seem to unscrew or anything, it seems to be like it's actually fabricated around the end. How do you replace it? is it a different than the original piece that must be broken off? Thanks.

I wasn't saying that a larger orifice will give you more pressure. I was using the numbers to show what orifice corresponds to what psi range. In order to get those max psi rating, you would also have to run the same gpm as I have under each orifice number.

So using this as an example,

#13 3000-4000 psi

You would need between 11.26 and 13.00 gpm to obtain max pressure of the pump with the #13.