Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

First Deck for Elite Powerwash LLC

Question

Well, here's the first deck for me. It started out with some horrible solid crud in the first picture. I stripped it twice with fairly strong mix, then oxalic but there was still a lot of this stuff embedded in the wood. I was leary of over dosing the wood with chems so I opted to sand the rest of it out. 60 grit and a good orbital got it in about an hour, second pic. Because of all the sanding and on the recomendation of Shane (my mentor) I did another oxalic rinse. Let dry for two days. Masked off the area and used a 1.8g/min sureflow and some back padding. Customer, a friend of mine, was very happy with the results. In the last picture there are a few shiney spots that I padded out after I took the pic. I used two coats of Super Cedar Grey Away about 40 minutes apart, the first coat soaked in very fast.

I learned that even the slightest wind will cause very fine over spray which came off the railing very easy with a little mineral spirits. I also learned to cut in by hand further from the rails. In hind sight I might have been better off padding the whole thing.

post-1269-137772155564_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772155571_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772155579_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Pete,

Very nice work, especially for your first exterior wood job. When I started out, it took twice as long to do work as it does now. A few more decks and you will just be humming along. It gets easier, faster, and better with experience.

Though I doubt any of us will ever match Shane's amazing 120 gals. of stain applied in 2 days, working alone no less!

That's a very sweet looking deck Pete great job dude!! :cool:

Now all you have to do is let him have you practice on that fence in the background :D

So you decided to used Super Cedar the color looks real good on that PT deck.