Sign in to follow this  
James

Wet weather in New England

Question

10 answers to this question

Diamond Jim,

I do not understand it. You are no more than ~120 miles from here. The past two weeks have been perfect weather for staining. Dry, sunny, only a few windy days, and pleasantly warm.

Our weather patterns should be close to identical. In all honesty, this has been one of the best springs here in my 5 yrs. in the wood trade. The next week does show unsettled conditions with possible showers virtually every day. We had monster thunderstorms dump 2.5 inches of rain overnight, but for the moment the sun is out.

Don't think cedar cleaned yesterday will be dry yet, but I could use the day off. Maybe my changing weather pattern will bring you good weather!

Jim,

Boy, your area is just getting hammered. Now I see, the lows are pushing moisture from the Atlantic NNW, and pounding New England.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/northeast_loop.php

Feel for ya, bad weather is one on the minus side of the ledger for exterior wood care. Hope the pattern just goes away.

I was in the middle of a cedar oiling 2nd coat. When the rain came in 12 hours early And a redwood maint. The next day the rain was to hold off till mid night. I waited till noon to let the decks dry off and headed out an hour drive. Got half way there and it started raining again. Drove there anyway ! It was misting and half the deck was done already. Did it (redwood old growth ). The cedar is a mess. 5 inches of rain today thru tommorow. I hate woodcare!!!

Diamond Jim,

The cedar is a mess. 5 inches of rain today thru tommorow. I hate woodcare!!!

There have been a few days when I have thought the same thing. You say the cedar is a mess. I'm assuming you are using RS. Care to elaborate on the problem and any fixes? I've got a cedar job to stain tomorrow and the weather looks iffy.

I was in the middle of a cedar oiling 2nd coat. When the rain came in 12 hours early And a redwood maint. The next day the rain was to hold off till mid night. I waited till noon to let the decks dry off and headed out an hour drive. Got half way there and it started raining again. Drove there anyway ! It was misting and half the deck was done already. Did it (redwood old growth ). The cedar is a mess. 5 inches of rain today thru tommorow. I hate woodcare!!!

I love Powerwashing..but not to keen on woodcare because the weather is such an unpredictable and important factor. I have 4 decks stripped and need to be stained and the rain is expected to be hear another 10 days!!

Jim, woodcare is great but the rain does suck! I was praying for a drought this year, started right in April now this the long range forecast (10 day) up here in NE does not bode well for woodies, I don't think we are going to dry out for a while. Time to get serious with playing the lottery or move to Texas, I just read that Shane can't handle all the decks there by himself! Go figure.

It's nice having several trades - at least I can go indoors and do some interior painting. Oh wait - nobody is booked for interior painting, damn!

Last summer was a washout if I remember correctly in the first half - hope this isn't a bad omen.

-Dan

This problem does suck in Newengland I gave up decks two years ago because of all the rain and schedualing problems I now market emergency gutter cleaning, guaranted to be there within 24 hrs with all the torential rain this year my spring gutter cleaning has trippled and it has led to other work ( fall gutter cleaning, house washes & roof cleaning ) This is why Cabots has invented SPF that can be applied to damp wood Joe homeowner can was and seal his own deck on the same weekend.