Sign in to follow this  
StainlessDeal

Omaha May Get a New Woodie!

Question

OK, so maybe I'm not really a "Woodie" with a capital "W" yet, but this spring, I'm getting more chances to bid wood.

Here is one I did for my buddy's retired mother, no great money maker, but great fun to do.

These are all before shots. Old finish was TWP opver a terrible wash performed long ago and at high pressure by the afore -mentioned buddy.

post-1043-13777215729_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772157295_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772157301_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

I used Sunbrite's Remove, downstreamed, with a short ~ 10 min. dwell. This is cedar in daylong sun.

First pic is rail close-up, the others show Reomove, well, removing I guess.

post-1043-137772157308_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772157313_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772157318_thumb.jpg

Oxalic does the trick, a few fuzzy spots, but nothing too awful.

This thing is eight or nine years old, TWP was ~ two years.

She regularly cleans it with her electric 1750 psi washer, but the son did the last couple with a more potent rental.

Still, not as shot as it might have been, by a long way.

post-1043-137772157324_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772157329_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772157334_thumb.jpg

Sealed with RS Natural Cedar, after some light sanding and defurring.

Short, sweet job interupted by days of rain. I don't get many wood jobs to bid, but I enjoy them when I do.:)

post-1043-13777215734_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772157345_thumb.jpg

post-1043-13777215735_thumb.jpg

Scott,

Well, well, very well done. Put the capital "W" back into the "Woodie", you have earned it. You 'aint StainlessDeal, you is the RealDeal! Terrific work on a sometimes difficult wood. Especially from one that is fairly new to the trade. Almost afraid to ask, but what are you going to stain the cedar with?

You're flying in to help me work on your B in L and sister's job, right? Just let me know the flight # and I'll grab you at the airport!

Storms are past, the sun's out and the forecast looks good. I'm emailing Eric with a proposed schedule. Book the flight for next Thursday or Friday!

Scott,

We cross posted. You just made my day.

Put some more oil into that cedar puppy later on, it will look richer and last just as long as any premium oil stain on the market.

Again, another scary question. The wood was dry enough when you first applied the oil, wasn't it? This is the RealDeal with Ready Seal!

OK, so maybe I'm not really a "Woodie" with a capital "W" yet, but this spring, I'm getting more chances to bid wood.

Nice job Scott :cool:

The more WOOD you get to work on the easier it gets!

Not a bad job for a Cornhusker,Tom Osborne would be proud of you ;)

Just curious folks - how much do you all think a job like that is worth? Even though it's small - you still have to come back multiple times, causing logistic problems. I'd think $500 would be too little - what do you all think?

-Dan

Just curious folks - how much do you all think a job like that is worth? Even though it's small - you still have to come back multiple times, causing logistic problems. I'd think $500 would be too little - what do you all think?

-Dan

$300 to clean and $300 to seal...you will be lucky to use 4-5 gallons of stain for a deck that size,

This was done as a favor for my buddy, he has been a real help in the last couple of years, and had stored up some substantial referalls, plus I needed the practice.

Shane was within $100 of my estimate, before credit and discount. Three gals of Ready Seal, and three windy, over 70* sunny days after three rainy ones before I stained.

I did this one on the way home from other work, and it really is less than a mile between her house and mine.

Like I said, no great money-maker on its own, but a good retraining exercise.

Thanks for all the compliments, I picked up the great bulk of the theory here, so I certainly couldn't have done this without you all.:)