Sign in to follow this  
Cleaner Image

Question on 2 and 3 story decks

Question

If You Get A Call On A 2 Or 3 Story Deck How Do You Charge? Do You Charge Normal Rate Times 2 Or 3 Or Do You Add On A Height Charge Or Percentage Or Normal Rate For Decks No Matter What?

Thanks In Advance

Jerry

Cleaner Image Powerwashing

8 answers to this question

It takes about twice as long to do the outside of rails that are above 6' off the ground. Most call it the PITA factor and I add 20%. In this case I would measure each tier individually and multiply by a PITA factor. With every rung I climb, it goes up.

These are the kinds of jobs you don't want - price 'em high as if you don't want to do 'em. And maybe you'll get lucky and they won't call back. I had to price a house to chemically strip the century old lead paint - and priced the total job close to 20 grand, because I really didn't want the job. And jesus christ - I got the job! Oh the fun of spraying on a slurry of Potassium hydroxide over a whole house - and then pressure washing it off a day later.

-Dan

8'0" to 13'0" = 1.3

13'1" to 17'0" = 1.6

17'1" to 19'0" = 1.9

19'1" to 21'0" = 2.2

Multiply your normal labor rate by the factor above to estimate labor on ladders.These are standards that an architect would use to budget a job. Now, the other guy won't do this and will come in cheaper. But the jobs you get you'll make money on. Or at least as far as high time goes.

These are the kinds of jobs you don't want - price 'em high as if you don't want to do 'em. And maybe you'll get lucky and they won't call back. I had to price a house to chemically strip the century old lead paint - and priced the total job close to 20 grand, because I really didn't want the job. And jesus christ - I got the job! Oh the fun of spraying on a slurry of Potassium hydroxide over a whole house - and then pressure washing it off a day later.

-Dan

What extra measures did the lead paint removal require?

We on average add 30% to the bid for any 2nd story decks requiring scaffolding or an extention ladder. We've never done a third or higher (thank god!). Your production slows big time so you have to justify the time. Scaffolding will keep you moving pretty quickly though. We just did a second story deck that was 12' in the air over a concrete pad and once the rolling scaffold is setup (20 minutes up - 20 minutes down) its as easy as a ground level deck.

Greg

Since it's hilly here, over 2/3 of the decks here are on the second floor, often above a concrete patio serving a walkout basement like the one below (both pics of the same deck). I use a telescoping wand if necessary to strip, and with a short (18") extension on my airless gun, I can stain by leaning over from the inside to shoot most railings and spindles, after doing the areas nearest the house by hand. Based on the decks construction, while leaning over the rail, I shoot the spindles from 45 degrees in one direction, then work back at 45 degrees from the other. Sometimes a horizontal finish stroke is required along the bottom rail or under the top. This coats each side once, and the outside twice. Of course, I tarp off the inside of the railing with the 4x10 disposable paper/plastic tarps when I'm doing that to avoid shooting myself with the stain. My helper then leans over with a stain pad on a broom handle to even those areas out while I move on to the next section.

I also have a 16' extension pole which can be used with a stain pad or brush to get the ledger board. I spend very little time on a ladder, no matter the height of the deck, and have never dreamt of using scaffolding. Since I am charging for the stairs and railings, I am in effect, adding to the overall price, but I do not add anything to my usual price.

post-1644-137772158732_thumb.jpg

post-1644-137772158738_thumb.jpg

Larry,

cool effect on the 2nd pic. :cool:

Jerry,

We have a great number of 2nd and 3rd level decks even on single family homes in addition to townhouses. We have to charge a premium due to the difficulty of working on a structure such as these especially the ones w/o stairs involving ladder use.

In townhouses where the decks are so close together that you have a great amount of difficulty avoiding the process impinging upon the neighboring ones, it involves a bit more time and masking to complete.

As others have mentioned, there are often paver's, brick or concrete patios below them and a garden of sorts with many plants to be protected and that is if they don't also have a pond or other furniture below as well.

Most homeowners tend to think just about the deck and don't know about the other factors (pita) that need to be taken into consideration as you work. Informing them makes a good impression and can bend their selection in your favor. But do price yourself higher to cover the additional time on the wash AND the seal visits you will be making to care for their property while you are working on their deck. Once the client knows more about why the price is higher, they may respect it more. ( then again some won't, money is money to them and therefore cannot respect the nature of the business, we let these go)

Rod!~