Sign in to follow this  
Don Phelps

For All Southern Woodies

Question

This question is for any of the guys/gals in the South that have advanced wood knowledge. If you were to have the deck of your choice built (money not an issue), what would be the preferred kind of wood and stain used for the project? I realize there will probably be varying opinions and that's fine, but just share your opinions for what materials and why.

Thanks in advance!

10 answers to this question

Ive seen only one Ipe deck and the wood is beautiful, but expensive. Put a bid in to stain it. but didnt get the job. I fave seen many trex decks. and would only use it if you like the look and feel of plastic. I have finished many a PT deck, and they can be beautiful if you do it right. I really do like the WTW product and will only use that in future unless old finish cant be stripped properly. For the money, Id go with PT. make sure some fly by night, lowballing handyman does not build it and youll have a handsome deck. Then Ill come over and finish it for you. (you stick to roofs.) :)

Redwood, Pt and Mahoganey are easier to care for. Ipe is a paine to maint a color and any filming product is going to be a paine to strip off (Wood Tux wet is still in the lab). But if you like grey ipe is it . Redwood is the easest wood I take care of. It takes hardly any oil and maintains the color!!! It also last forever. More costly than Ipe but less labor. Cypress is in the same boat but will take longer to maintain a color. This stuff is impervious to penitrating oils. In 5 years it will be ready to stain ? Pt is cheap and with RS will last forever. I have PT decks that are 10 years old that are soft to the touch because of the oiling process .

Redwood, Pt and Mahoganey are easier to care for. Ipe is a paine to maint a color and any filming product is going to be a paine to strip off (Wood Tux wet is still in the lab). But if you like grey ipe is it . Redwood is the easest wood I take care of. It takes hardly any oil and maintains the color!!! It also last forever. More costly than Ipe but less labor. Cypress is in the same boat but will take longer to maintain a color. This stuff is impervious to penitrating oils. In 5 years it will be ready to stain ? Pt is cheap and with RS will last forever. I have PT decks that are 10 years old that are soft to the touch because of the oiling process .

Are you saying Cypress is impervious to penetrating oils?? That's not been my limited experience (my own deck). an 8x16 2nd story deck with stairs took 10 gallons of RS the first time around... Needs another 10 gallons now, and a good cleaning.

The cypress I do would not take anything. Then I tried the Red wood only oil. That gave it a little color. At 5 years its starting to take some. The deck was sanded to remove a floor varnish?