Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

The Good The Bad and the OH S**T

Ok the Good - used the xjet for the first time and man alive thats the coolest thing ever.

The Bad - Carryiing a stupid bucket with chems on a 2 story house( xjet no reach)

The OH S**T - got to the back of this house and My unit goes down, nothing just stops, full gas oil and everything else, got white smoke coming out of exhaust when trying to start, sooooo had to brush the rest and use a garden hose to rinse, man alive ....whats the problem you think? >>>

16hp cold water vanguard with briggs engine key start also pull start. 4-5gpm no to sure and got it from my bro in law ran really good for 2 yrs since i had it but all of a sudden .....

My unit goes down, nothing just stops, >>>

Do you need a mechanic or a urologist? LOL.

White smoke is usually an indication of h20 entering combustion chamber i.e., a blown head gasket, but being an air cooled engine, I would suspect a bad valve, piston, rings, cracked head or cylinder. Have a compression check performed on the engine for starters. Hope everything works out for ya.

First thing to check is spark.

Second if you have spark, check compression.

If you do not have spark, check the key switch by disconnecting the kill wire and try to pull start.

The white smoke could have just been gas entering a hot combustion chamber without spark to ignite it.

Those engines have two coils. I have not seen them go both go bad at the same time. There is a diode in between the two coils that goes bad but one of the coils would still have spark enough to make it run but badly I do not feel this is what you problem is though.

If it has spark the engine is in bad shape. The compression test will tell that.

If you have a low oil shutdown (by the oil filter) try disconnection that. sometimes a piece of dirt will get stuck in there and tell the machine to shut down.

On a more obscure note, look on the back (shaft side) of the main block. Up near the top center there is a bump out in the casting about the size of a nickel. If it is cracked or you see what looks like a ball bearing sticking out your cam busted through the casting. If this happend your valves are not opening properly and the motor will not run. This happend to me with 3- 16hp vanguards in the past. I was told I ran them out of oil BS. It was a casting issue and they eventually gave me a new short block for each. The engines were probably manufactured about the same time as yours about 2-3 years ago. I found out from some local briggs employees this was a semi common problem, about 1% (thats me). Hope this helps, if not feel free to call and I can give you some more ideas.

well first i'll do all the little things and then just start the process of elimination as i go so i thi nk i may be out of biz for a week but no prob, i can make it up. someone looking for a good used machine lol.....

Jeff, Give a a shout if you want some help tomorow afternood or evening. As of now I'm not doing much. Recooperating from today is all.