Sign in to follow this  
Thad

Why pay a professional wash your house?

Question

27 answers to this question

Mr. Executive Homeowner and his nifty new zero degree tip!

:lgbounces

The wife had no idea that he had done that. I made sure that she saw it before I did anything.

dont blame it on h.o's, QVC did it.....hey you can buy a karcher and save money and do it yourself, buy it, after all look at the money saved by doing it yourself...a smart h.o.

just goes to show that some people are wiser than others...our beloved customers that have common sense.

it sure is great to meet ho's with the smarts to let a pro do it, great biz that lets you meet great people.

after all home depot sells lawnmowers so why not buy a pwer to wash the house, drive and deck?

What burns me is that the company I subbed this from has been doing this house for three years, PW and clean all windows in and out without any complaints. The guy just decided to try to dave a couple of bucks on the PW and still have us come do the windows.

The house wasn't even that dirty on the parts that he didn't laser.

Mr. Executive Homeowner and his nifty new zero degree tip!

:lgbounces

The wife had no idea that he had done that. I made sure that she saw it before I did anything.

What in God's name possesses these idiots to put the zero tip in??? Are they really that stupid? And then not to see the damage????? LOL

I have been to a few homes this year and found vinyl siding with these Zorro signatures from a job gone bad a few years ago. Sometimes these marks are hard to see on dirty vinyl. You can only see these marks at certain angles, so be warned of the traveling Zorro, so you don't get blamed for this mess.

I don't like to come behind these disasters, because it will appear that you caused this mess.

1. At 2200psi/2.0 gpm a green tip just doesn't do that well.

2. Without proper chemicals one must use FORCE to dislodge the dirt. If the dirt isn't coming off, increase the force.

It this really that far of a stretch from a homeowner hammering their siding with water at 1.5" from the surface as they "blast" the dirt off?

Now, let me show you what a real pro can do with a zero tip!

post-576-137772160097_thumb.jpg

2. Without proper chemicals one must use FORCE to dislodge the dirt. If the dirt isn't coming off, increase the force.

It this really that far of a stretch from a homeowner hammering their siding with water at 1.5" from the surface as they "blast" the dirt off?

Great pic example.

Great pic! It would be REALLY effective as a video. THAT would be cool!

I forgot to mention that the lines are much more visible than they came out in the picture and that the screen is from a second story window.

I guess the owner forgot he was supposed to fill in between the lines! Perhaps he figured it was too much work and just quit.

I really don't understand why they would even put a zorro nozzle on an HD machine anyway??

Great pic! It would be REALLY effective as a video. THAT would be cool!

Yea, but in the video you could see my hand turning red and hear me telling the washer to *hurry up!*. Soft enough not to cause tissue damage, but not soft enough not to sting like he**... Not something I'd do to impress house guests...

And for the kids in the audience, this was not a 6 beer stunt. We tested my hand at ever decreasing distances to judge pain levels, the risk of injection, etc. and to determine the actual safe working distance. Then we chemed the deck and did progressive test patches on the deck to determine the status of the wood. Finally, when wood and staff were ready we began. The tech worked around my hand moving in to make actual skin contact only to get the last margins. We did it three times and took at least 20 photos. What you see is the best of the bunch...

Based on my experiences on this one, I am of the opinion that just slapping down your hand and going at it with a #12 tip would be a good way to get yourself hurt.

work around my hand making contact only as neccessary.

And for the kids in the audience, this was not a 6 beer stunt. We tested my hand at ever decreasing distances to judge pain levels, the risk of injection, etc. and to determine the actual safe working distance. Then we chemed the deck and did progressive test patches on the deck to determine the status of the wood. Finally, when wood and staff were ready we began. The tech worked around my hand moving in to make actual skin contact only to get the last margins. We did it three times and took at least 20 photos. What you see is the best of the bunch...

Those MythBuster guys have NOTHING on you, Phillip. You know, the six beers may have had value. They did when I decided (at age 19) that shooting bottle rockets from every hole in my belt (while I wore it) would be amusing. The human roman candle trick cost me a week's worth of ointment and a nice little scar.

Hello everyone, figured I would share this one as well.

I wish I had taken pics of a job I did a couple of weeks ago. My cust has had a few eggs thrown at his house LAST YEAR, and decided to wait until this spring to go & try to clean it himself, again w renting a Home Depot special....

Needless to say, when I got there, Zorro had come for a visit, almost did a complete cutout of the egg in a few spots, plus lines ALL OVER the house. When I asked the cust which tip he used, or course the answer was "well the red one, HD said it would work the best & the quickest"

Love rental places, and people that try to do this themselves....

putting my kids through college :)

Cheers,

Dave - Oasis PowerWash

Hello everyone, figured I would share this one as well.

I wish I had taken pics of a job I did a couple of weeks ago. My cust has had a few eggs thrown at his house LAST YEAR, and decided to wait until this spring to go & try to clean it himself, again w renting a Home Depot special....

Needless to say, when I got there, Zorro had come for a visit, almost did a complete cutout of the egg in a few spots, plus lines ALL OVER the house. When I asked the cust which tip he used, or course the answer was "well the red one, HD said it would work the best & the quickest"

Love rental places, and people that try to do this themselves....

putting my kids through college :)

Cheers,

Dave - Oasis PowerWash

Here's one from another board, posted by a former PW contractor who went to work as a manager at a dealership...

Hello all, long time no see. I took a phone call early at work this morning and instantly though of you all. I thought you would enjoy this.

Steve if this needs to be in a different forum feel free to move it

Those of you who know me know I am a Finance MGR at a Ford Dealership. I always get to work pretty early in the mornings and have to catch the phone some times. Here is the dialog from a phone call I got early this morning.

Me: Its a great day a Two Rivers Ford, How may I help you?

Him: Body Shop please

Me: I am sorry sir we do not have a body shop.

Him: Well maybe you can help me.

Me: I will try

Him: I just bought a new GT Convertible Mustang from you all 2 weeks ago and this weekend I was washing it with my "new pressure washer" and I burned a hole in the rear bumper cover.

Me: (Biting toung trying not to bust out laughing) Wow no kidding Sir, how in the world did you do that?

Him: Well I had no idea this thing had so much power, I guess i should have known anything with an engine on it should be strong

Me: What tip were you using sir.

Him: I was using the one that shoots the straight stream, I was getting bird **** off.

Me: Hmmm well Sir I am not sure what to tell you except that if I were you I would throw the one that shoots the straight stream in the trash can before you do more damage.

Him: I wish I would have got that advice earlier, you should see what I did to my deck. Hey do you know how much a bumper cover will cost?

Me: Well Sir I don't work in parts but I would guess for the cover painted to match and installed you are talking about $300-$500.

Him: Wholly $%&* my wife is going to kill me. Well thanks for your time

Me: No problem sir, BTW if you need help getting your deck back in order call me, I have a friend that that does that for a living

Him: Oh thats OK I am going to pick a book up and figure it out

Click

Moral of this phone call......... Some people never learn

[ATTACH]4961[/ATTACH]

I visited my mother-in -law up in Maryland several months back. As we walked into her front door I noticed that Zorro had been. Not with the zero tip, but definitly with too much and too close.

She lives in some very expensive townhomes ( IMHO all property up there is expensive), that are brick with cedar shake roofs. All th ebrick was badly marked up and she asked me if she should get the roof done????

I asked if she would mind that I take a pic of the handyman work, She asked, "Why is there something wrong???? Is it really that bad?"

post-1486-137772160572_thumb.jpg

Do you guys mind if I print a couple of these out and use them for my book? They are really incredible.

I just quoted a deck yesterday that was done by a "pro" and it was chewed up quite a bit. I'd guess he used a 15 degree tip to remove the algae. I'll try to remember to get a pic or two before I start.

The homeowner knows the damage is there, and said that my web site citing "low pressure" promped him to call. I had the job locked up before I even gave the $1300 price!