Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

I am so sick of the Gas whiners

Question

I am so sick of hearing, the gas prices this and the gas prices that. We can't afford $500 for this and for that because of the gas prices.

Yes, I think gas is expensive. I hate paying $3 per gallon, I hate paying $2 per gallon. Yes I think the gas game is pathetic and we should seak alternative energy sources. But I am sick of everyone using a nickle increase as an excuse.

Case and Point. My truck uses about 20 gallon per week for my commuting to from the staion, errands, pw, etc. At $2.5 a gallon, thats $50, gas is up to $3 per gal and so I pay $60. A ten buck difference. Yes this adds up, I get it. But a $10 a week increas for some has given them this excuse as to why they can't afford so many other things. It's not that much of a difference.

And what really gets me mad. Two stations across from one another have a 1 cent difference. And the cheaper station has lines down the road. so while I am paying the whole extra penny per gallon which totals a whole whopping 20 cents on the final tab, I can't help but to think. How dumb are some people to not be able to do the math and realizing they are waiting in line for 20 minutes to save a quater. Are we all that caught up in gas prices that we can't figure out the actuall monetary difference.

Then there is my grandfather who will travel 3 miles to save a penny, well, thats o.k. because he is family and he's old.

Thanks for letting me vent.

34 answers to this question

I don't know, Mike...Having lost my job, and trying hard to make a full time deal out of my pressure washing business, trying make ends meet, pay a mortgage, 2 kids, etc...that $40-$60 would certainly mean a LOT to me and my family. I certainly won't be silly enough to drive too far to save a buck, but it hurts my wallet to not have that money. When I was making $70k a year plus pwing part time, I may have agreed, but that money buys extra groceries now...I think it's all perspective.

- John

Perspective, I agree John. When things are $70 tight, then $50 does make a difference. I agree with you there. I am talking about people who won't pay $350 to have their house washed because they spent an extra $10 in gas that week.

I agree with this gas thing but the problem is when Gas goes up everything has a way of going up..except peoples salaries. Case in point when Gas goes up so does the gas that goes into your house to heat it. To process alot of items in your house there was gas engines used to get that done so now the consumer pays more...last but not least we have to charge the customers a little more to offset our cost..so in reality that extra $10 it cost them to fill there car is really costing them alot more in the big picture of things..

But the complaining about it is getting old cause we all feel the pinch..

Nuke Them, Blow up the whole Middle East !!! It will solve at least 2 problems we blow it up and we move in and make The USA of he Middle East, we get our oil for cheap when theres no more Arab oil Kings and we get rid of most terrorist too.

Guess we can't nuke them , then we couldnt go in for like 99 years. Oh well guess I'll have to come up with another idea

John G......I know how you feel my friend. When I first started I made sure to plan my schedule very carefully not to waste any time or money. I've been going for 2 years now and I still treat my time the same, even though I'm making more money I'm very careful to not waste gas. I pay more every month in gas than I do my mortgage. It's my largest bill actually.

Jeff...it's already been thought of....drill in our own territory :) We have plenty of oil, we just need to get it.

Nuke em Kill Kill Kill Drill Drill Drill, lol, just losing my mind, its all the gas fumes from siphoning gas

It's basic economics. We're seeing a drop in disposable income, which means some things will get cut out of the budget or people will go into debt to get them. When fuel rises everything rises. Food, clothes, other things in the stores, everything. The housing market is also starting to soften a little. (at least here) Consumers have less confidence.

Beth

Gee, funny how the amount of money people have left over in their pockets equates to confidence?!?!

OK, commiserating over, now all of you get your rears back out there and raise your prices .20/week and reclaim those lost earnings.

Sheesh@! :rolleyes:

Rod!~

Disposable Income??? Are trying to say you'r suppose to have money " After" you pay the bills? :) Whoda thunkit!!

This is what pisses me off one station will be 3.06 then 2 miles down the road its 2.84. I feel if people keep going to the higher stations it sends a signal that we (americans) are willing to pay the high prices so Ceo's can have $80 million dollar a year salary's

Think about this...the other fuel e85 comes in at 2.35 a gallon. The oil companies said they would drop their prices to compete with them, problem is that there are so few other stations offering it they cant compete yet…But this is even worse, oil companies are so powerful that they dictate the price of e85 by that I mean they have said if alternative fuel ever wanted to go toe to toe with them they would drop there prices so low that they will put other alternative fuels out of business.. they also said they could do it for years till they do go bankrupt. So that means we will still be paying much more than we should…

Did you all know Africa make e85 out of sugarcane and can manufacture it and deliver it for pennies on the dollar, but you know what happens when it comes to our boarders, It gets taxed ten fold to export it here.

We make e85 out of corn they make it out of sugar…Neat little facts I hope I was correct if I was wrong I will stand corrected.

D

As gas prices increase, so too does inflation, and our economy softens.....

Beth

Yep. It isn't so much that people have that much less disposable income, it is that they perceived they have a lot less...they see themselves paying $60.00 to fill the car up rather than the $25 it took 3 years or so ago and they feel like they can barely afford to drive to work...nevermind that they only fill the car up 3 times/month and they spend more at Starbucks that month than they did on increased gas prices. It's all perception.

And as you said, the economy softens...which is one reason I believe things are so slow right now for so many. It's never been this slow this long, at least for me. Two calls in two weeks.

Alot of people dont understand that oil price is set by the market. Yes the oil companies make large profits beacuse they have large sales. No one bitches when OJ goes up beacuse of a winter freeze and the CEO of Tropicana still makes millions. Im one of the few people that thinks if the Oil co's make money and they pay there execs very well - good for them. Would you like someone to come to you and tell you how much you are allowed to charge and in return make? I wouldnt. Do oil co's lobby to hold back compitition? You bet. Welcome to politics in America. Not their fault. I pass on all my fuel cost to clients. Its just part of doing buissness now. We will all hurt until the market corrects itself. If it doesnt it will spur invention to solve the problem. It still hurts though.

ANWR....

off the coast of California....

Just to name a couple.

I know about ANWR, and from what I understand, there isn't enough oil there to make a significant difference.

As far as drilling off the coast of CA, they already do. They want to drill off FL, but FL says no way. I don't see that changing, and I hope it doesn't. I'd rather pay $3.00+/gallon than see oil rigs off the coast every time I go to the beach.

$3 is nothing compared to what it will go up to. We are depleting the world's oil reserves and our usage is not declining. In fact it is increasing.

There is a lot of oil up there. Most estimates place it around 10 billion barrels. That's 20 years worth of Saudi Arabian imports. The problem is, we only export like 10% of our oil from Saudi Arabia. Even if ANWR drilling were apporved tommorow it would be 7-10 years before we started seeing any oil from the region.

Are we in Iraq fighting for world peace or so some country 5000 miles away can enjoy democracy? I think the last proponents of that altruisitc dream have been shattered. Bush will go down as the scapegoat for lost lives initially and then may well be the hero who began the "liberation of the world's oil supply" when our grandkids are reading the history books.