Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

For bleach heads only

Question

Shane and I have been trying to help Roger Oakley of Great Britain obtain and mix chemicals for wood restoration. We all should appreciate the great source of commercial suppliers we have here, the Brits have virtually no manufactuers of wood strippers, cleaners, and brighteners.

Anyway, ran into this article.

Found some interesting info on bleach. This study indicates that adding an acid to a bleach mix is much more effective in killing microbes and such. Wonder if it would help on mold and mildew. Go to:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-02/asfm-vik021306.php

Any microbiologists out there or anyone know one?

13 answers to this question

Not a bona fide BH, but I'll add my peanut gallery comments. I remember some other touching on this topic in a previous thread. It's interesting. I wonder how you buffer the two to keep from reacting? To any newbie reading this, do NOT add bleach and acid together haphazardly. Inhaling the gas released is fatal.

Ken,

I'm no chemist but wish I had found this before. Spent last Wed. through Sunday visiting my best friend in Maine who has a PhD. in Chemistry.

If it is as effective on microbes as stated, the question is if it is transferable to mold and mildew. Don't know, biologist stuff.

Either from what I have read, or maybe on this board, I seem to recalll that sodium hypochlorite is not able to be neutralized. So not sure if "buffers", whatever they are, is applicable.

Maybe someone can help.

Ken,

You know, I think thats right. No wonder it kills stuff, maybe even you! But again, if you read the article, they are advocating 1 cup of Clorox and one cup of vinegar mixed in a gallon of water.

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

Rick,

That link was dead i couldn't read that article??

I'll tell you for sure you SHOULD NOT mix Oxalic acid and bleach ! Yes you are right Ken that combo fo chems puts off one killer smelling gas!

Rick,

The new link worked thanks:cool:

That's an interesting article i might just have to try that in my recipie sometime.

Yeah Roger is becoming WOODY Royalty huh i guess the queen is gonna Knight him soon! :D

According to the chemical reactivity worksheet, Acetic Acid (Vinegar) and Sodium Hypochlorite (Chlorine Bleach) when mixed, the 2 form a strong oxidizer. BUT!!! the process of mixing them does release gases one of them being toxic.

Rod!~

It's more for kiling germs. Try this? Drink some German Beer then eat some pickeled eggs and any Mexican dish for desert. This will kill any bacteria with in 20 foot radius. But you may be lonely??

It's more for kiling germs. Try this? Drink some German Beer then eat some pickeled eggs and any Mexican dish for desert. This will kill any bacteria with in 20 foot radius. But you may be lonely??

Now thats funny..who ever was to try this you'd better be wearing a diaper..