Sign in to follow this  
EnviroClean

Who is going to PWNA throwdown in October?

Im going to go. Id like the wood certification, but I think it would do more for me to get the concrete course. Still debating, but will definately be there.

I never sleep well on business trips

I don't either, although I have found that earplugs work wonders.

Along with a pitcher of margaritas.

I would like to go but my wife has a work commitment that weekend and I have to play Mr Mom.

For hotels make sure you use www.sidestep.com. They search tons of hotel sites and usually have the best rates. A great little search engine that many poeple dont know about.

Ive talked to Jay in the past. Hes very knowledgable in concrete science. I also used the V-seal on a driveway. its nice stuff. Im not sure the info would translate well to realworld business building so Im curious to see what the class is about also. I think Ill call him again.

The Science of

Sealing & Coating

Concrete

with regards to:

Preparation, Sealers, Coatings, Care,

Marketing the Service, Expectations & Repair

in October 2006

Just stuck my head in here Sat. and saw your message. Thanks for taking the time to help and clarify for the board.

We now have probably talked to over 10,000 Power Washers, and we have picked up over the years many common threads.

Topics like how do you really prep different substrates, identifying them and their state. What are the sealers out there, how are they different, why use one over another. When do I use a coating as opposed to a sealer or none at all. How do I apply. What are my costs. What are realistic expectations from sealers and coatings and how do we explain to the customer what that is and how to maintain them. How do we get the word out, what are some of the buzz words the customers need to hear and what motivates them to buy the product and continued service. These are just a few.

Big transition you will see from the class is a comfortable knowledge of what sealers( & types ) are out there and what they do or were originally designed for, increasing your credibility and ease to speak convincingly to the customer, no matter what level, home owner to architect. An example of this is, when we speak to customers and have their ear for 10 minutes, we have a closing rate of appx. 90%. That's high, it is because we are killing them with common sense, not sales. You know some people just aren't going to get it, no matter what you say or do.

So here is a start. We really want to open the room to many questions so all of you can hear each others questions and concerns as well. We want to be equally reactive as opposed to totally proactive. We are here for more questions.

Thanks for your intervention Jon. Spread the word. We will probably cut the class off at 30-35.

take care,

Jay Tarantino

Jason,

I'm not sure you got correct information.

Here's an excerpt from a newsletter I got via email.

Kitchen Exhaust Training and Certification

PWNA is now offering kitchen exhaust certification at the Fall Technical Seminar in conjunction with Phil Ackland Holdings, now accredited by the International Standards Organization (ISO).

The training will familiarize kitchen exhaust cleaners with a consistent and definable set of responsibilities and limitations that outline the obligations of competent exhaust cleaning companies and Crew Leaders. Phil Ackland's Kitchen Exhaust Cleaners Certification ProtocolT and corresponding Training Curriculum is a result of years of research and consultation with fire inspectors, legislators, insurance companies and exhaust cleaners.

Cost: $799.00

Purchase PWNA manuals here.

This is what is being offered in Florida.

Hope this helps. Try not to label PWNA as a whole in a negative way. PWNA is made up of volunteers who lead the org, and of the members who support it. We are members. It's not a perfect org, but the goal really is to help the contractor. Maybe you just got bad info. I don't know....We are not into hoods.

Beth

p.s. please review the Forum rules. Thank you.

Jason,

Look at it this way....If you are getting 5 days worth of material jammed into 2 days, it's going to be intense. Rod and I have sat through the two day class. (we did hoods briefly a while back - wasn't for us) It was quite a bit of info to digest. You also have to remember that hood cleaning has a whole other level of liability attached to it - fire. To get the most out of the instruction and to help ensure you are thoroughly trained and able to work safely, I can see why for this particular class there might be tougher guidelines.

I know you are chomping at the bit to learn and get cleaning, but sometimes it is prudent to slow down and think about why things are being done the way they are. The topic you have chosen to study has perhaps the highest amount of liability of any in the power washing arena. It is certainly the most heavily regulated in my opinion.

Lastly, it is to your benefit to be a member in addition to being certified. You may not see that yet, but it carries weight and that leads to jobs.

Beth

Jason,

In our area it does carry some weight, in part because local members market it as a part of their doing business. Perhaps it doesn't mean as much in PR, but then I have said for years now, that you get out of PWNA what you put into it. And yes, I did say what I did with a straight face.

I'm only trying to be helpful. You might want to remember that.

Have a better day.

Beth

Jason, don't bother joining the PWNA, it's not worth it for exhaust cleaners. Southern California has more restaurants than any other area of the US and not once have I been asked if I were a PWNA member by a customer. Your Phil Ackland certification is EXACTLY the same certification the the PWNA uses so in essence you will be PWNA certified once you are Phil Ackland certified. The Ackland Certification is the best out there right now. GO with IKECA if you are going to join an organization, they are starting to make a difference and more and more exhaust cleaners are joining. If you are looking for a Pressure Washers organiztion, you might look at the *****, the guys running that look like they have their stuff together.

if I were certified by Phil Ackland who is the most knowledgeable in the industry.

I don't know if I agree with that statement Jason.....Phil Ackland has never once cleaned a hood or been BS certified :) But, I see your point, anybody in the business knows who Phil Ackland is.....

Jason I did not do my research (LAZY) but can't you take the test on the pwna site and get certified? or is that IKECA? If it is pwna then I think if you pasted the test you are qualified to attend in my opinion. but hey I didn't ride the short bus to school.

Spanish or no Spanish Jason, I am advising that you stay away from the PWNA and there are many who will back me up on this. You can search this and other boards for information on the PWNA and you will begin to see the light.

I have been looking in to the ***** and it looks like the have it all, use your money there, I don't think you will regret it. In fact if you join the ***** instead of the PWNA and you don't like it, I will personally refund your money, hows that?