Sign in to follow this  
FCPWLLC

Credit

Credit cards are the #1 way for people in power washing to finance their business. I'd guess that everyone does it. I've been in business for 4 years and still to this day I have credit cards. They're essential.

There are other ways to get money for your business though. Some good ideas are posted on www.entrepreneur.com

I never owned a credit card until last year when I started the biz. So my limit is very low and I normally use it for chems and pay it off before the end of the month. My start up cost was all cash, so I owe nothing as of now and that's fine with me, I don't like having payments. I want a hot box right now but I will not put it on credit and dig a hole before winter, I'll wait till I have the cash.

Mike, barter your services with an ad agency. There are also barter services on craigslist.com and other websites that can get you rolling.

I have been lucky. I just rolled the money over from other businesses I have sold so I remained capitalized. I have not had to use a dollar of my own money or any loans to stay afloat. My trucks are both ten years old (clean and paid for), my equipment is decent but not all that impressive and if the business cannot pay for it in cash, I don't need it.

The theory "credit" is rediculous. My parents have never paid a bill late in their life, never had a card balance, paid cash for their home, etc......and for that.......their credit score is "good". The trick to a good credit score is that you need to borrow lots of money, pay it back, and have lots of unused cash available on credit cards. Craziness.

I feel for ya Kentucky. One of the wealthiest guys I know personally, was bankrupt at about your age, and at 50, was a multi-multi. The one thing bankruptcy cannot ruin is YOU; meaning, in my friend's instance, he had people that NEW he could make it, and investing money in HIM was a wise decision. Paid off for him, and paid off for investors. Anyone that feels that way about you?? (not family, friends, IMO) I went to college with this guy's kids, and he was a well-known alumni; I'll see if I can find a story about him and I'll email it to you.

You might read "Guerrilla Marketing" and "Guerrilla Selling" lots of stuff in there to do for free. My advice would ALWAYS be to go for networking. Realtors. Painters. Etc.

I started slow with no real intensions of going fulltime so I just bought the basics to do residential. Then as i grew I bought more equipment and rented as i needed. Most or all was cash. I use a credit card daily for gas purchases and some equipment/parts, but I usually pay it off 100% at the end of the month althou one winter I used over 5K in credit card but paid off in the spring

If you use credit use it sparingly, you dont have to have all the best at 1st and you dont want to dig a hole for yourself

Good Luck

Michael

With very little cash, I think direct mailing jumbo PC's or flyers to a specific audience is the best bang for the buck. Other ways to generate work with little to no cash are: Word of mouth, free demos, follow up with existing customers, community involvement, tie-ins with other contractors, public relations, newsletter, bartaring, take-one box with biz cards, and even smiling and being enthusiastic can generate work.

Just remember most marketing does not work instantly. You have to stay commited and consistent in your marketing, give it time to work. A lot of business' run an ad or do a mailing and wait for the phone to ring. But nothing happens, so they change their marketing. Again nothing happens. The more they change it, the more nothing happens. Then they stop believing in their efforts and then go out of business.

I have credit cards (1) but I have never used it for business or personal.I have it just in case I need the extra money. Ive been in biz for 4 years and had the card for 5years.

Michael, if you haven't already included PR and media relations into your mktg mix, you seriously need to. Find you local media folks, print media mainly. Not the anchorperson at the 6p news, but the assignment editors, business and community section editors of local papers, and PR firms. Make this weeks goal to get 30 minutes with the Assignment Editor of the paper with the largest distribution in your target market. Pitch an education piece around one of your services. A good editorial placement far far outweighs any and all paid advertising.

Give it a shot! It's free.

/neil

FCPWLLC,

Bra,the world will sing about credit.Extoll it's virtues endlessly.It is a tool.It is also something that should be wielded by those that can pay off the monthly balance,every month.Credit is fine until the note is called.Then you're are screwed.The odds of a note being called in our current circumstance is slim,but still exists.Do not be deceived.Our world is a dangerous place.Position yourself, so that in the immediate future, you can be solvent ,no matter what.Consider credit mgm't ,AFTER you have established a solid revenue flow.Only ,in my opinion,can someone that is debt free can truley manage "debt",in it's truest sense.

I do not have an MBA,nor do I care to comprehend the minutia of accountancy,but debt is a foundational disease.

We don't use the "card" for the power washing expenses as much as we use it for the concrete and landscaping work that we perform.

We never used our card to pay for bills and/or household expenses.