Sign in to follow this  
PLD

This summer is slow...

Is it just me, or is this summer very, very slow. Mar-May were record breakers for me and I was looking forward to a banner year (i.e. on plan growth). But, once school got out the calls just stopped. For July/August, I am running 2x last years marketing (several thousand $/mo) and doing about 1/3 of the business. It's so slow, that checking that my phone in operational and that my ads are actually printed is a 2x weekly regimen now. This time last year, I was a 3 man crew with problems making all the quotes. I subbed many jobs out to members of TGS because I just couldn't work 'em. Presently, I am a one man crew and finding jobs for my helper to keep him from quitting. I just do not get it. I should be BURIED in work. But I'm barely convering advertising/fuel expenses, and not even covering overall expenses.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I need to get this fixed, and I'm obviously too close to it to see what's happening. I welcome any comments or criticisms you may have not matter how frank they may be.

FWIW here is my present ad campaign.

My present ads:

Local newspaper: 40k circ 2 issues a week. Ads in two locations, and a FULL PAGE interview about our company on the July Home & Garden section. Artcles about our companies work (charity, restoration) at least 3x/year.

1/2 page in both local yellow pages.

Money Mailer: 50k homes. New this July. 2 calls.

Buzzin - bound advertising book. 20k circ, higher income homes only. Very effective historically.

Postcards to 5000 homes. Over $350k, owner occupied. 1st batch of

1500 late july. 1500 more every 2 weeks, repeat when done.

Flyers 2-400 at random intervals to keep helper moving.

Lettering on my trucks, wifes truck, logo tshirts. Free estimates. Printed quotes. Sheets about "why quality", "Why powerhouse" with every bid.

Maybe you do crappy work lol

Maybe they dont like your political views lol

Only kidding!!!!!!! a lot of people are over extended nowadays and the turmoil & uncertainty in the economy & world affairs may have people being tight with their pocket books.

Hope it all picks up for you

JL

We learned years ago that July and August were always slower than other warmer months. It's vacation season. We used to advertise in those months, and stopped when we realized there was a cycle. March, April, May, June, Sept, Oct - yes....July & Aug....nope.

You might try to book people who are not in a rush into those months, book your "rush - I'm having a party" jobs in the earlier months. We have seen companies offer discounts for those two particular months.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Maybe you do crappy work lol

Maybe they dont like your political views lol

Well, I keep my political views pretty hush-hush around customers (no, I don't have Libertarian bumper stickers). And I certainly don't call any of them fascists... :)

But business is so off that I have considered my workmanship. I am quite meticulous about my works (and the boys), and get lots of attaboys. I think it looks great. But with business down 70%, you doubt everything. So I'm now doing follow up calls to survey, etc. So far, so good.

I've even done random phone checks, and triple checked my ads for right phone number, etc...

Business is good for me now but I have had to get more agressive with marketing. Had I stayed with the same budget I originally laid out for '06 I would have not achieved the projected growth I had hoped for. Most economic indicators are dropping so now is the time to plan for staying power. You know what you are doing, Phillip. Hang in there it will balance out for you.

Phillip do you just do residential or do you go after commercial, condos or other types of work, I cant gauge my residential, i just dont advertise residential anymore. But maybe you have to expand your type of work you do. We are staying busy with our condo work and other commercial and I think I spend less $$$ than many on this board for advertising.

Good luck

Jeff

Dead thanks to cancellations all this week.

I'll go throw dirt on resi's in your area if you throw dirt on mine. jk.

It will soon be booming for us.

Honestly, I think that is just the price you pay for being in a year-round work zone. People in Michigan and New Hampshire are fretting in August, people in the Durty are chillin'. When Feb. comes and Ken Fenner is complaining about eating beans and cornbread at every meal because he is broke, you ATL guys can smile and show him the new platinum fronts you just got from all the housewashing you've been doing, :) It's all a cycle, be happy, this is Darwinism thinning out the herd,

Forgive a couple of thoughts from a newbie...but how was the heat in July and August there, compared to the last few years? Betcha it was as sweltering there as it was here (mojave desert area)...but with mucho humidity.

Folks don't do anything when that happens, much less consider having windows cleaned.

What Jeff said also holds much weight. Being an independant thinker (G-d Bless You!) you already know that you're paying 33% more for gasoline this year, and that (regardless of how the Gov't spins the numbers) real inflation has to be keeping pace with both energy costs being passed on to the consumer in all other industries...and the unbelieveable rate of printing of fiat money.

Folks are zapped by the heat and tapped out...not a great combination.

On the bright side...Sept. is around the corner and the stock market is perking up.

Bruda...I know how you feel.

John D.

Ceaseless City Cleaning

661-874-7532

Honestly, I think that is just the price you pay for being in a year-round work zone. People in Michigan and New Hampshire are fretting in August, people in the Durty are chillin'. When Feb. comes and Ken Fenner is complaining about eating beans and cornbread at every meal because he is broke, you ATL guys can smile and show him the new platinum fronts you just got from all the housewashing you've been doing, :) It's all a cycle, be happy, this is Darwinism thinning out the herd,

I undestand that, my concern is the degree to to which it has dropped off this summer season. This time last year I had 2 guys working as hard as I could work 'em. 25+ jobs/week. This week I have 3 jobs booked and none looking forward. Doubling your adv budget and still running at 10% of last year is a dramatic change. And I'm not talking about doubling from $50/mo to $100/mo. I will spend over $25k on advertising this year, and I'm barely grossing enough now to cover that expense

Someone later in this thread mentioned activity was really rolling for them and they were now taking 4 calls/day. Just for a little perspective; a normal summer day for me is 10-15 calls, booking 50%, and working 3-5 jobs/day.

If I had to live on what the late fall winter months pay in pressure washing I wouldn't even make it until February. I put my machines in storage from Nov 15th until April 15th.

What do you do during the dead months?

Pressure Pros focus switches to interior painting. I have two union painters I use to do the work. I personally use the time to evaluate marketing efforts, fine tune my budget and business plans, travel and pursue my other business interests.

phillip, dont feel bad its dead slow for me too.

slowest august ive ever seen. ive only had 6 jobs this month so far only made 900.00. last aug made 3200.00

thats a big difference. think im gonna call people back from last year and year before.

I personally use the time to evaluate marketing efforts, fine tune my budget and business plans, travel and pursue my other business interests.

Ditto. Unfortunately, my online business follows the spring/fall seasons as well...

phillip, dont feel bad its dead slow for me too.

slowest august ive ever seen. ive only had 6 jobs this month so far only made 900.00. last aug made 3200.00

thats a big difference. think im gonna call people back from last year and year before.

Last August I made $14k. This year, It'll be about $2.5k

August has been so so for me this year. I haven't had the big job at all this August where like in the past I would have. I think besides July and August being generally slower Months here then the other in season Months with People going on Vacations and the Gas prices going no where but Northwards its been a tougher then usual summer to make the big bucks.

I do have one Building job to do this Sunday which can be banged out in about 10hrs. Its to bad that I couldn't nail that other building job this Month also because Sept for me things pick up again..

It seems to me that one of the way's around this slow month crap is to make those cold calls especially for commercial work cause that goes continuously all year...Just ask Ron **********. Even though I don't mind doing Residential work it such a pain to try to get Money out of people when they just don't have enough of it to spend for Powerwashing services.

We are holding our breath but we have been doing okay so far this year.

Steady amount of residentials (alot of repeat customers that we do annually). Did not add any commercial accounts this year!!