Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

How do I combat this?

Question

I have submitted a proposal to do a 95 unit condominium complex. I have met with the property manager, who took my proposal to the community board meeting for approval. All of the condo units are 2 stories. The building rep suggested to the board that they NOT be cleaned from the ground (ala X-Jet) because it will damage the siding or go behind the siding. Using a cherry picker is out of the question because of the terrain, plus I've never used one, so I'm uncomfortable with it (it will also increase my price significantly because I would have to rent one). I want to sell them on the XJet...any ideas or literature that will help make the sale? Thanks folks.

- John

9 answers to this question

I have submitted a proposal to do a 95 unit inium complex. I have met with the property manager, who took my proposal to the community board meeting for approval. All of the condo units are 2 stories. The building rep suggested to the board that they NOT be cleaned from the ground (ala X-Jet) because it will damage the siding or go behind the siding. Using a cherry picker is out of the question because of the terrain, plus I've never used one, so I'm uncomfortable with it (it will also increase my price significantly because I would have to rent one). I want to sell them on the XJet...any ideas or literature that will help make the sale? Thanks folks.

- John

Downstream the chemical at low pressure and rinse with low pressure. Try to sell them that.

Thanks Dan - but the perception would still be that I shooting chemicals at 8 billion psi under the siding whether I'm using an Xjet or downstreaming...My goal is to keep my feet on the ground. They are under the impression that it MUST be sprayed perpendicular to the siding to avoid having water go under it.

Using a downstreamer you will be able to get much more perpendicular to the siding than you will an X-Jet. Offer to do a demonstration at your cost. Point out that your pressure and attack angle would be comparable to a wind driven rain.

If worse comes to worst, then tell them you will honor your estimate plust the additional cost of a lift.

They are very easy to maneuver and operate. The company that delivers it will show you how it works and in five minutes you would be a pro.

Every once in a while I have a home owner with the same concern. I explain that I am not spraying in a upward pattern but standing 20 ft or so away from the structure and spraying at a angle toward the siding. I also tell them that if they get some one to wash their home that uses a ladder then chances are they too are using too much pressure and are risking damage to the siding more so.

If they're only two stories, then downstream and rinse 10' to 15' back from a 10' step ladder. I do this all the time on houses and it's pretty much perpedicular to the siding.

We've had a couple complexes that had the same issue about doing it from the ground . Ive offered sample cleaning and I ve given them 2 prices from the ground or from lift or ladder. One took lift , 1 took it from the ground and one we didnt get, give them options and show them the price difference and explain your safe procedure

If they choose you doing it from a step ladder charge for it , its a PITA going up & down a step ladder. A lot of people think we are really PRESSURE washing so they think your going to blow the siding right off, explain you are back off the building and your chemical/building wash does a great deal of the work.

Like I said a lot of people think your pressure does the work, I tell them the chem does the work. Most/many people just dont know.

JL