Sign in to follow this  
Jhignutt

Impatient People

Question

How do you guys deal with homeowners that call you to give them a price and they say ok you have the job schedule it everythings fine and in a few days later they call you and tell you so and so can come this week and do it. Im tired of wasting my time and money giving estimates and scheduling them only to find out I am not quick enough for them. So far this year i have lost two jobs worth $1100 together to homeowners not wanting to wait my services.

17 answers to this question

Before I even get into particulars, one of the first question I ask is "What time frame were you expecting to have the work done?"

If they need rush service and I have to adjust my schedule to service their expectations then I will charge an emergency fee.

(It's along the lines of charging a fee to a client who neglected to call you through the gate and now you can not do your work)

Don't forget that the people whom have cancelled on you got a better deal somewhere else. This means you are probably better off not having them as clients.

If to a potential client you were highly recommended, or they were impressed with your knowledge and presentation then chances are that they would wait as long as they have to.

How do you guys deal with homeowners that call you to give them a price and they say ok you have the job schedule it everythings fine and in a few days later they call you and tell you so and so can come this week and do it. Im tired of wasting my time and money giving estimates and scheduling them only to find out I am not quick enough for them. So far this year i have lost two jobs worth $1100 together to homeowners not wanting to wait my services.

I never give prices over the phone. I try to do estimates within 24 hours and I always try to sell the job when I'm there so I walk away with a signed proposal. If they say they need to think about it, or want to get some more estimates or whatever and they end up calling me a few days later saying that they want to accept my proposal, I try to set up a time to go there to meet with them again, get the proposal signed and set up a cleaning date. It may seem like a pain and waste of gas and time to go back just to get the proposal signed instead of waiting until the cleaning, but I haven't lost any jobs due to someone changing their mind either. Once the proposal is signed, it's $ in the bank.

I never give prices over the phone. I try to do estimates within 24 hours and I always try to sell the job when I'm there so I walk away with a signed proposal. If they say they need to think about it, or want to get some more estimates or whatever and they end up calling me a few days later saying that they want to accept my proposal, I try to set up a time to go there to meet with them again, get the proposal signed and set up a cleaning date. It may seem like a pain and waste of gas and time to go back just to get the proposal signed instead of waiting until the cleaning, but I haven't lost any jobs due to someone changing their mind either. Once the proposal is signed, it's $ in the bank.

Barry, once you become the Pressure Washing King of Indiana you wont be going back for them just to sign a proposal. To much time involved

Barry, once you become the Pressure Washing King of Indiana you wont be going back for them just to sign a proposal. To much time involved

Don't you mean of the Midwest?

I see your point Jeff, but I guess it would just depend on how much the job was. If they called and said they accept and it's a couple thousand dollar job, or maybe even $1100 like stated, then I think I would still find a way to get there and get the thing signed so I didn't end up losing the job. But then again if I was as busy as you are....your right I probably would feel differently about it.

I also don't have time to do a signed proposal. I don't even wait to meet the homeowners. I do the estimate alot of times in between jobs or on the way home. If there home then I meet them if not I do the estimate and leave it for them either in the door or there mailbox. I'll call them on my cell to let them know where the estimate is.

As for Commercial I always get them to signed the work orders if I have them or have them signed one of my estimate sheets where it says they agreed for the contracted work to be performed by Clean County Powerwashing.

As for Estimates over the phone if there the typical Vinyl house I give them the estimate right there over the phone. Then I refer them to my website and give them a fast sales pitch about myself...I usually nail these type jobs a big percentage of the time because there basic jobs. Time for me is $$$$ so I deal with it accordingly. This is what works for me and 11 yrs of doing this business you learn what works best for yourself.

The days of driving a 1/2 hour to look at a Vinyl house are at most times a thing of the past for me.

Before I even get into particulars, one of the first question I ask is "What time frame were you expecting to have the work done?"

If they need rush service and I have to adjust my schedule to service their expectations then I will charge an emergency fee.

(It's along the lines of charging a fee to a client who neglected to call you through the gate and now you can not do your work)

Don't forget that the people whom have cancelled on you got a better deal somewhere else. This means you are probably better off not having them as clients.

If to a potential client you were highly recommended, or they were impressed with your knowledge and presentation then chances are that they would wait as long as they have to.

Bingo! Well put!

Beth

jhignutt,

I hear what you are saying and that can be frustrating. If the other guy can do it the same week than he must not be very busy and so probably does not offer the same quality of service. How much longer would they had needed to wait to gain your service? Anything more than three weeks and I know that I start to lose bids. I also charge extra for a rush start time.

I like doing the estimate on the spot while the customer is there. Often they decide then and there to go with the work so i get a signed agreement and 25% down. If they need to think about it then i leave the paper work with them and if they decide later to hire then they just send me a signed copy of the agreement with a check for 25%.

How long before we can start on the work if the contract is signed today, is usually part of the conversation (be it in person or over the phone). Normally the customer is told that there is about a 2 week wait. If they have a priority need, we try to accomodate and sometimes impose additional fees but not all times (there are times when the customer offers extra money). I figure if they are in that much of a hurry, they don't have time to get 2 or 3 quotes anyway so priority work calls for priority rates. I normally allow some float in the weekly schedule - this allows me to back customers into an earlier start date rather than sliding them out (brings customer much happiness). It can also serve as buffer when the weather turns against us.

As for contracts: No work starts without a signed contract.

It can be mailed back to us in 1 day; it can be faxed; it can be signed when we arrive; it can be left - signed - in the door for us to pick up prior to start of work. Our policy is "Contract not signed, work does not start."

A contract is not only for our protection but for the customer's - it spells out the specifics of the job - what gets done and what does not. It spells out when payment is expected (and what are penalties for late payments) and what warranty comes with the service. It provides the understanding between the 2 parties involved in the transaction of service for payment.

In most states even though you have a signed contract, the work can be cancelled within a period of so many days. I don't put up a fight if a customer wants to cancel - I try to understand the reason and work from there.

The only time I go after money is if I special order something specific for the job - there again, it's normally spelled out in the contract - so there should be no misunderstandings (famous last words) - but at least it is written and the customer can't deny that they were not told (double negative).

I don't know how many times a customer describes a surface such as a pool's apron or deck's size and asks for a price. In 10 out of 10 cases the railing, fascia boards or other areas are not included in their square footage numbers or they know not how to read a tape measure. A couple of months back a lady gave me the size of her pool apron as being 7 feet wide around a 20' by 30' pool. She had the pool size nailed, but the apron varied from 12' to 20' in width. The square foot cost didn't change but the overall price almost was over double.

I give general estimates over the phone (price per sq ft - range), and minimum - started with $100 minimum back several years ago (I think) and we're up to $175 on some while $250 and $500 on other services.

I also don't have time to do a signed proposal. I don't even wait to meet the homeowners. I do the estimate alot of times in between jobs or on the way home. If there home then I meet them if not I do the estimate and leave it for them either in the door or there mailbox. I'll call them on my cell to let them know where the estimate is.

As for Commercial I always get them to signed the work orders if I have them or have them signed one of my estimate sheets where it says they agreed for the contracted work to be performed by Clean County Powerwashing.

As for Estimates over the phone if there the typical Vinyl house I give them the estimate right there over the phone. Then I refer them to my website and give them a fast sales pitch about myself...I usually nail these type jobs a big percentage of the time because there basic jobs. Time for me is $$$$ so I deal with it accordingly. This is what works for me and 11 yrs of doing this business you learn what works best for yourself.

The days of driving a 1/2 hour to look at a Vinyl house are at most times a thing of the past for me.

DITTO !!

I do not charge anything upfront as my kind of work, I have everything on hand. If I did wood and needed to order stain, then I could understand getting something ahead of time, but gas and soap are regular items that get used on all jobs.

How many charge for residential houses up front say for supplies such as soap and gas? Do you think this would work?

I don't charge anything up front. What I do is that I get paid when the Powerwashing is complete. Then with that Money I buy the stain thats needed for the job. When the whole job is completed they pay me for the stain and the labor of putting down the stain. As for Soaps.Strippers,gas etc, I have all that with me at all times so all of that is always figured into the price.

Join the club! I do try to work people in if they have a time deadline, but I've had to turn work down...one very nice $900 job last year. She deserved it tho. I gave her the bid, she scheduled it, then called and cancelled saying her husband was going to try to do it himself. Called 3 weeks later on a Wednesday wanting to know if I could get it done by Saturday. I just told her no thanks, and good luck.

How many charge for residential houses up front say for supplies such as soap and gas? Do you think this would work?

I think it'd be more headache than it's worth figuring the cost, and tracking two payments. Most residential jobs for me don't use more than $20.00 in materials, so it's not worth it.

First off, telling them up front what your lead time for scheduling is, is paramount. Informing them of this and that you have other clients who have already signed with you and applied deposits who have been waiting patiently is next. Reminding them (by way of relating unoffensively) it is just like getting in line to order. No cutting allowed! Some tend to think they can get faster service by *****ing the loudest. This is abusive and you didn't get into business to be abused did you? Taking the time to lay out these conditions helps. Also, reminding that you are weather dependant and not just the rain being a factor. Heat can slow things down as well and even create temperature range conditions that are not favorable for application according to manufacturers instructions not to mention "The Human Element" which can also play into things and make the jobs take longer. Asking for their Patience and understanding beforehand assures that they have gotten the message.

Having a cancellation fee after the 3rd business day works too!

Rod!~