Sign in to follow this  
Fredneck

Man that's steep!!!! Boomlift?

Question

We just got job in Deep Creek Lake with a roof pitch of 12 deg. there is no way we are walking it! It is just this one side( I will attach pic)We are thinking about using a boomlift to get the right angle. Would any of you do this differently?

And what would you have charged?[ATTACH]5419[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5420[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5421[/ATTACH]

post-1967-137772163744_thumb.jpg

post-1967-137772163747_thumb.jpg

post-1967-137772163752_thumb.jpg

36 answers to this question

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of X-jet responses but I'd walk the roof.

Granted, it's a very uncomfortable walk but with the proper fall prevention gear you'll be alright.

It's definately a two man job (minimum)!!

ps: charge accordingly

You've left us with a somewhat vague post. I'm assuming that you're asking about cleaning the roof since it's nasty, but for all we know you're asking about how to approach doing a house wash since it appears to be just as bad. Let us know what you're attempting to clean and what equipment you have for the job and we can help you.

Yes we are doing the roof I though I mentioned the pitch...maybe not. We are set up well with all the usual.

-Hydrotek 3550 5gpm

-x- jet

- climbing gear

etc.

etc.

Plus a 16ft trailer full of luck...haha

Just curious as to how most of you here would attack this project and with what? Me....I'm thinking boomlift!! It is too steep to walk.

I would probably walk away from that one but that's just me. Too much of a PITA, especially if I was an xjetter. It's pretty steep and pretty dirty for the xjet method in my opinion, I would need to use at least 6% on that roof and you just can't get that xjetting and you'll also have a butt load of run off.

If you're driving from Fredneck to Deep Creek its paying enough.

"chicken ladder", fall protection, good chems, right application with a rinse. don't waste $$ on a boomlift.

Where abouts are you in Frederick? I've got friends all around down there.

Good luck on the job it can look real good.

I wouldnt be using a boom lift to much $$$ for 1 roof. I'd climb & walk it and Id Xjet with my small 3 gpm machine to get strong enough mix. would charge them good it is a big PITA job

good luck to you

JL

We just got job in Deep Creek Lake with a roof pitch of 12 deg. there is no way we are walking it! It is just this one side( I will attach pic)We are thinking about using a boomlift to get the right angle. Would any of you do this differently?

And what would you have charged?[ATTACH]5419[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5420[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5421[/ATTACH]

We have done many like this in the past.this is where you make the big buck's.Trust me they already had a few people turn down the job because of the pitch.

We get on it with climbing gear and clean it.When you do them you will get everyone else in the area.For a pitch like that i would charge no less than .20cents a sq ft.

post-1950-137772163757_thumb.jpg

post-1950-137772163761_thumb.jpg

I've also done roofs that steep and its a two man job. You would need a Harness and it should be tied off somewhere or have your worker work the ropes but he must have it where if you where to slip and fall you don't go off the roof. Chorine attacking moss/mildew can get slippery. This is also a good job for the Pitch Witch attachment which I also have. http://www.pitchwitch.com/

Based on what you've stated so far, I don't think you have the right equipment or experience for the job. If you don't have a good feeling about it, maybe consider passing on this one. Putting money before safety can be costly.

I live about 45 minutes from Deep Creek. Just curious, how much fuel you will use up and back. If you get achance call me at 301-729-0450 or 301-6974875.

I say rent a helicopter and drop large quantities of cholrine on the house and have a helper ready to rinse. Did that help? I would walk it since I walk them in the winter to shovel them off before we tear the shingles off for roofing, but I have always walked these roofs. Now for you I would listen to Don

Why could this house not be cleaned from a ladder using a shurflo setup and a phelps type wand then rinse with a water hose? I think the mix could be shot to the ridge of the roof easily enough. The only problem I see might be damage to the skylites if they are plastic.

It wouldn't hurt the skylites, but many times a ShurFlo simply won't produce the psi and volume to shoot it like that.

If we were cleaning this roof, we would either walk it with fall gear or shoot it from the ground in some places and from a ladder in others. That being said, we use gas-powered diaphragm pumps that shoot quite a distance and deliver as much as 4 gpm. Most guys on this board and others don't use these pumps because they're expensive and hard to justify when they don't clean that many roofs.

Some of these guys that use x-jets on roofs consider themselves fast, but it's all relative. They have their routine down. Which is good, but they have nothing else to compare it to. They're not really as fast as they might think. :)

Don,

Can your pumps handle straight chlorine with harming them?? I ruined many shurflo pumps over the years running a watered down chlorine mixture thru it. Now that I have a Deckster pump set-up and soon to be buying another one I never run Chlorine thru them for the fear of messing up the pumps. I do have this sprayer in my trailer but I still need to hook it up. It came with the set-up that I bought last year. It has a John Bean pump which I think can handle chlorine. This is a diesel sprayer that tree companies use. Its just a matter of time before I set it up to do roofs. bldgs etc.

jbspumpr10.jpeg

I'd use a shurflo set up a phelps wand which I modified with QC fitting and then use the M5. It'll shoot the chlorine mix 20/25 ft no problem. My shurflo is 3.8gpm @ 45 psi. You'll have to use a ladder to get the higher roof, but if you set it in the middle you should be able to clean the entire roof without moving. Also with my shurflo set up there is very little runoff.

Ditto Howard.

The higher gpm sureflow will shoot pretty far, you can also use a high orifice 0 tip. or even a 1/16 barb fitting. another option is the roller pump, but youll have to buy an engine to go with it. With mine I could shoot 30-40 feet from the ground. or get on the ladder and do a good portion before moving the ladder. I dont like walking steep roofs like that. the fall equipment gets in the way, and if your using chlorine itll eat the ropes.

Have a good rinse man on the ground, and you can shoot 90% of that roof by walking the ridge (a little tiring on the legs, but I do it all the time). The little you can't reach from the ridge, you can get from a ladder.

We have done many like this in the past.this is where you make the big buck's.Trust me they already had a few people turn down the job because of the pitch.

We get on it with climbing gear and clean it.When you do them you will get everyone else in the area.For a pitch like that i would charge no less than .20cents a sq ft.

Yeah, I got the job for $2000 for just the dirty side. Based on results we have had in the past with 12% and chem called xterminater(citrus degreeser) for the smell and my x-jet we have had great results. However we just havent had one this steep to date. I have a four man crew so climbing gear and a rinse man are covered. Well thanks for all of the advise from all the vets here, thats why I love this site. Were gonna knock it out and I will be sure to post pics during and after completion for everyone to critique. Thanks again guys!!

Yeah, I got the job for $2000 for just the dirty side. Based on results we have had in the past with 12% and chem called xterminater(citrus degreeser) for the smell and my x-jet we have had great results. However we just havent had one this steep to date. I have a four man crew so climbing gear and a rinse man are covered. Well thanks for all of the advise from all the vets here, thats why I love this site. Were gonna knock it out and I will be sure to post pics during and after completion for everyone to critique. Thanks again guys!!

That'd be the easiest $1000.00/hour I ever made! You'll be fine Xjetting that with some soap for cling...may have to hit it a few times, but for $2000.00, who cares?