Sign in to follow this  
zapp

Mildew check

Question

Had a customer request a wash using mildew check by Pitsburg Paints, I applied with a sureflow setup and rinsed with garden hose, easy enough, great results , this stuff is expensive though $20 per gal I used 6gals, anyone know whats in this stuff ??can we get this stuff in bulk ??

21 answers to this question

Had a customer request a wash using mildew check by Pitsburg Paints, I applied with a sureflow setup and rinsed with garden hose, easy enough, great results , this stuff is expensive though $20 per gal I used 6gals, anyone know whats in this stuff ??can we get this stuff in bulk ??

62 views and noone knows anything about this stuff ???

Olympic makes the same thing. Mildew Check in my opinion is way overpriced and the last time I checked, the container's instructions are to add bleach. The bleach that is added is doing all the work and the $20/gal Mildew Check can stay itself on the store shelf.

Sodium Hypochlorite and you favorite surfacant will do the job just fine and cost WAY less.

Here is a click to the patent. From what I read it says "dilute with bleach"

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4806263.html

So I see oxidizer,some type of butyl compound and some type of thickening agent and surfactants. Sounds like my housewash (any everyone else's).

Zapp, is this your first time using a housewash detergent? If not, did you achieve superior results with this product versus your normal solution? Did you add bleach to this product?...water?

I actually make my house wash from bleach, tergitol, and tsp - and then add mildew check to it - only because I want that compound that will stick to the house and prevent further regrowth for a while. Jomax uses dowicide, or 0-phenylphenyl, a main ingredient in lysol - if I can get a hold of a drum of that stuff I will start using that instead.

Here is a click to the patent. From what I read it says "dilute with bleach"

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4806263.html

So I see oxidizer,some type of butyl compound and some type of thickening agent and surfactants. Sounds like my housewash (any everyone else's).

Zapp, is this your first time using a housewash detergent? If not, did you achieve superior results with this product versus your normal solution? Did you add bleach to this product?...water?

Far from my first time using a house wash mix/ detergent ,I was asked to try the mildew check because this house has a regrowth problem. I washed this home last spring ,by mid August I recieved a callback checked it out (full of mildew already)and re did the job (NO CHARGE) well I received a call 2 weeks ago same problem full of mildew again I was baffled I washed this house with my usuall mix 12% , citra clean ,rinse aid and foamer been using this mix for years no problems, well the home owner saw this Mildew check stuff , Mix as directed with bleach pump it on and rinse 20 minutes later with a garden hose , supposed to leave a film that retards future mildew growth , well it looks spotless lets hope for the customer it works.. I still prefer my mix , but for problem houses this may be the answer. Anyone else having problems with mildew coming back extra fast.??

Are there specific reason for the re-growth? i.e. lots of tree coverage, gutter problem, or a poorly draining yard? I'm sure you've looked at this, but sometimes there's not enough sun or breeze and too much water and shade?

Are there specific reason for the re-growth? i.e. lots of tree coverage, gutter problem, or a poorly draining yard? I'm sure you've looked at this, but sometimes there's not enough sun or breeze and too much water and shade?

Bruno I've checked all those possible problems, I also thought it may be a moisture problem from the inside out ,the weird thing is the growth isn't uniform ,for instance the south side of the garage (plenty of sun)isn't insulated or heated and on the left side of the window there is mildew right side none , this house was painted 2 years ago the customer said it was washed well I have found some mildew under the paint in places, my guess is the painter did a half arse job(diluted mix) washing the place and didn't get all the mildew off . I've seen painters using rental 2 gal per min machines downstreaming from a clorox bottle @ 10-1.After washing with the mildew check I had the customer keep the empty bottle and date it I signed it and applied my buisness card if this junk comes back were going to get the Pitsburg rep out and do a full FREE evaluation on the house ..

I have on of those 2 gal plus machines that I downstream at 10:1 directly from a 6% clorox bottle, but I add tsp and nonylphenol to that bottle of tsp and it knocks all the mildew right off every house I have ever done in minutes! I also add that mildew check to the bleach, never have any problems.

-Dan

Do oil based paints collect mildew faster than water based? Just curious as I have a reoccuring house that I have had to clean every year. A lot of shade, trees very close to the house, creek no too far away. He complains like crazy, but it is just the situation I think.

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior

678-360-2518

Jeff, oil (especially linseed) is a natural source of food for mold. Cheaper oil/alkyd formulations have inadequate amounts of mildewcide to prevent rapid regrowth.

This mildew check sounds interesting but I would want to see real world experience from other washers that have regrowth issues. Unfortunately anything that costs $20 per gallon and cannot be diluted with a fair amount of water has little place in real world housewashing.

I have on of those 2 gal plus machines that I downstream at 10:1 directly from a 6% clorox bottle, but I add tsp and nonylphenol to that bottle of tsp and it knocks all the mildew right off every house I have ever done in minutes! I also add that mildew check to the bleach, never have any problems.

-Dan

Dan, dude... :banghead: ... you are killing yourself. Invest in a 13Hp 4gpm 3500psi machine. You will get work done twice as fast and you can put a real chemical injector on it. A 20% high draw General. After four house washes it will have paid for itself with the time you save.

Should be on the label. I prefer to go back 3/6/12/18 months to clean again. It's amazing to me, I have customers who are obsessive compulsive, they get a complete house wash every 3 months. It's fun cleaning an emaculate home!!!

ISYHTRAH