Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Who is John Galt?

Question

* MOVED FROM BUSINESS TOPICS *

Do we really know him that well????????? Hummmmmmmmmm CIA NSA Alien

1st a picture, then your brain, then the world. I smell conspiracy, where's Oliver Stone and Micheal Moore

Mike knows that I'm a libertarian. And IIRC, he is as well. And the #1 tenet of libertarianism is private property rights. Hence, Mike understands that stealing in an anathema to a libertarian.

Now, if I were a liberal I'd suggest that since your business is doing much better than mine it's only *fair* that you share your pics with me. After all, isn't that what the founding fathers meant by "promote the general welfare"? And if you refused, armed men will take your liberty (or your life) unless you decide to "volunteered" your property.

Welcome to our present tax system. From each according to their ability, and to each according to their needs. And if you elect not to participate in our little game of Robin Hood, we will kill you.

The Fair Tax must be passed!

17 answers to this question

* MOVED FROM BUSINESS TOPICS *

Mike knows that I'm a libertarian. And IIRC, he is as well. And the #1 tenet of libertarianism is private property rights. Hence, Mike understands that stealing in an anathema to a libertarian.

Now, if I were a liberal I'd suggest that since your business is doing much better than mine it's only *fair* that you share your pics with me. After all, isn't that what the founding fathers meant by "promote the general welfare"? And if you refused, armed men will take your liberty (or your life) unless you decide to "volunteered" your property.

Welcome to our present tax system. From each according to their ability, and to each according to their needs. And if you elect not to participate in our little game of Robin Hood, we will kill you.

The Fair Tax must be passed!

Alien!!!!!!

I was called about my pics on your sight and I told them I really didnt care that much, just thought it was weird. I'd help anyone out and if you did need a picture or 2 (which I know you don't) go for it, Id prefer to be asked but, little **** doesnt bother me to much. Just my liberal democratic upbringing

Robin Hood , Fair Tax ??????? Do you really think any politician cares about us. It is so sad nowadays. Fair whats fair sure not taxes or our elected officials. If librarians were a major party in our country and had some control, they would be just like the other bums, believe it!

Alien :yoda:

a fair tax as I read it would boost the economy imensely after an adjustment period. the politicos do care about that. they care about more money coming in to dole out. With the fair tax, everyone, illegals and otherwise would pay tax. no more cheating the system.

Illegals aliens actually contribute about 20 billion dollars a year to our tax rolls and they won't get a penny back via Social Security. They use illegally obtained SS numbers of minors and others who are out of the workforce. You can buy the number here in the states easily or even in Mexico. They hand that number to their new employer who has a vested interest in not checking it out. Cheap labor, has SS number, no problemo, your hired!

I should add that our government is fully aware of where this 20 billion comes from and as you can see they aren't in a mad rush to deport all illegals. Have to pay for a war somehow.

If librarians were a major party in our country and had some control, they would be just like the other bums, believe it!

True. But they are not. And in tight races, they make for the deciding votes. So, the politicians in those races better "pander" to the libertarian ideals or face defeat.

We're not a powerhouse, but were not a lame duck either.

If librarians were a major party in our country and had some control, they would be just like the other bums, believe it!

I won't live in a country run by librarians! I'll never submit to the Godless Dewey Decimal system!

"Alphabetize or begone!" is my battle cry!:lgsideway :lgbounces

Philip, are you that big a fan of Ayn Rand? Maybe I'll have to dig Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead up again. I read them years ago, but revisiting them might be nice this winter.

I have to disagree that Libertarians, if they had power and control, would use the power of government to serve themselves. Sure, there would be some of that, but for the most part, if they are truly Libertarians, that type of thing would not happen on the scale you see it now in the two main parties.

It is bugging the heck out of me...Who is John Galt??? It triggered a memory but thanks to all my college lifestyle in my early 20's the memory cells are not serving me on this one.

Some might think of it as a bad case of tenesmus.

:lol:

Rod!~

It is bugging the heck out of me...Who is John Galt??? It triggered a memory but thanks to all my college lifestyle in my early 20's the memory cells are not serving me on this one.

Some might think of it as a bad case of tenesmus.

:lol:

Rod!~

John Galt is a character in Ayn Rand's book "Atlas Shrugged".

I'm not down with the old fat ones, but the smokin', hair up, intellectual ones with the glasses can run my country anytime!

Always ask for a book from the top shelf.

:lgbounces

Thanks Mike,

I read the reviews and it sounds like a book I'd like to read.

In a world full of dogma, egoists, pragmatism and moral stagnation it is nice to find a mind not afraid to break the status quo and help the world consider there is other ways and possibilities. Like a favorite lyricist of mine said "what if all we learned is wrong?" [Geoffe Tate-Queensryche]

Rod!~

John Galt is a character in Ayn Rand's book "Atlas Shrugged".

John Galt is far more than just a character... And as the characters in the book expereince, the search for the answer to the question is much more important than the answer itself.

For those who have not read Ayn Rand's book "Atlas Shrugged", trying to explain John Galt is much akin to trying to explain the color green to a blind man, or the Beethovens 5th to a deaf man (yes, I know...). Once you understand it, it seems quite simple and you can easily discuss it with someone else who understands it.

Do a google search (I can't say "google it" anymore for fear of being sued) for "francisco money speech" and read on. In a one page write up you will get the general gist of Atlas Shrugged. Then, look at my signature line and you'll understand where I got it.

Philip, are you that big a fan of Ayn Rand? Maybe I'll have to dig Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead up again. I read them years ago, but revisiting them might be nice this winter.

I am a big fan of the ideas she tries to communicate in AS and TF. Granted, they are presented in a utopian framework, but they are still great ideals to base ones life on.

Excellent source. I've never seen AS excerpted, but I guess that I have never tried that hard.

One point I would make is that the journey and introspection that the characters make as they search for John Galt (culminating in d'Anconia's speech) is just as important as the object of their quest. Hence, despite it being an excellent synopsis of the idea behind the story, I would argue that one cannot merely read the cliff notes and firmly grasp the concepts.

Do a google search (I can't say "google it" anymore for fear of being sued) for "francisco money speech" and read on. In a one page write up you will get the general gist of Atlas Shrugged. Then, look at my signature line and you'll understand where I got it.