Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

vines

Question

11 answers to this question

I know the Bleach guys will not let me live this one down, but soaking them with a 5% bleach solution helps to degrade and loosen these if they are dry so they can be washed away.

On bare wood, I would not recommend it. But for use on brick and the surfaces you have shown, it is feasible. Some repainting may be needed depending upon the condition of the paint beforehand.

Rod!~

If you have ever heard the song "Signs" (60's tune remade by Tesla in the 80's) you can sing this version after a long day of inhaling too many VOC's..

Vines, vines, everywhere a vine

F-ing up the scenery.. wastin' my time..

Those remnants (roots?) are a lot like artillery fungus. You need a vine disclaimer clause.

Thanks guys, I told the homeowner they would be a problem,they're everywhere paint,brick,vinyl,walls,ceiling.sounds like tedious work,(scraping,sanding,painting)I'll probably go the clause route unless the price is right.

I remember when I was new and I had a stucco building coverd with thease. I cleaned a sample section and the came off pretty good but not completely. They were happy and I got the job. Well if a spray tip worked good a rotator will work better right.... After knocking off a few sections of stucco I discovered they don't come off. Now I always tell people they won't come off. Like Jeff ssaid they root into the surface. Luckily they were allready planning some repair work there and they didn't care. WHEW... That was close.

I did a test spot on a flag stone house with vines on it, like little suction cups attached to the stone. I soaked them down with my house wash and gave it 4000psi and I don't think one root came off. I was glad I did a test, and I gladly passed on it.

I did a test spot on a flag stone house with vines on it, like little suction cups attached to the stone. I soaked them down with my house wash and gave it 4000psi and I don't think one root came off. I was glad I did a test, and I gladly passed on it.

Barry how strong was your chlorine mix and how long did you let it dwell?

try some stripper on the stone?

Barry how strong was your chlorine mix and how long did you let it dwell?

try some stripper on the stone?

My mix was normal housewash strength, 1-2% chlorine. I let it dwell for 10 minutes and kept it wet with mix. I'll have to try the stripper next time.