Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

dealing with child injury

Question

Today my 6yr old was over his friends house playing with him and another kid and I got a call that I needed to come over NOW and when I got there I saw my son being cleaned up from all the blood, turns out this other kid accedently threw a peice of fencing that slpit my boys head open about an inch wide a fairly deep shaped like a v on the top of his skull. well off to the E>R where he gets 5 staples in the dome and on the way home wants to go back and play lol. Needless to say moms shopping and when she finds out she almost cries but was thankful she had not had to deal with that ( very very emotional) so alls well. I say to my wife with 2 boys get ready this is only the begining of E.R visits.

16 answers to this question

Jeff - Sorry 'bout your son's noggin...but make no mistake, I've got one of each, and my girl has spent far more time in the ER than my son! Hope he's OK.

- John

All three girls in ER for one reason or another but my son's the only one that broke an arm playing on the monkey bars at school.........

But the horror stories I can tell about a certain trip to Missouri......get your wife some Valiums :)

Celeste

Jeff,

FWIW, I was about 6 when I was the "throwee" in that same scenario and busted my friends head open. Anyway, whenever something like this reminds me of it, I still feel guilty... Kids and the ER just seems to go hand in hand...

Daddy,Angela watch!

As we turn from the counter at burger king to see my 5 yr old son do a complete flip over the hand rail and face plant into the floor.

It took Me lying full body across him,Angela and nurse holding to hold his arm to get the 3 stitches in,but all was good after that.

He is fearless and I know someday it will stress me out as much as I stressed my parents out with my stunts.

Jeff,

"It's a mere flesh wound"

Actually that sucks, My son is 4 and I'm suprised he hasn't been to the ER yet. His time is coming because he has no fear. I caught him standing on the frame of his bike as he went down the sidewalk 3 days ago. He hasn't taken a good fall yet so he has no idea how it feels. On the other hand my Neighbors' daughter went off a chair she was standing on at the top of the basement stairs and went down the entire flight. luckily she was wearing her bike helmet. I never want to here her mother screaming like that again. I thought someone was shot...

Glad to hear your child is going to get better.

Reminds me of a time when I was around that age, a friend of mine and I were goofing around and taking stuff off a shelf (various pipe fittings and elbow joints) we wanted to climb and I was just chucking them over my head towards the ground behind me. Unbeknown to me, my friend decided to walk behind me for something and after chucking an elbow fitting I noticed it didn't make the same sound as the other pieces before had and turned to see why and saw my friend holding the top of his head grimacing. I quickly took him to his mom who sent me home and took him to the hospital. He got a number of stitches and we both got a scolding for doing what we were doing in the first place.

When your'e a kid, stuff happens and fortunately, it didn't kill him.

You must be going through some real worrying though. Head injuries can be dangerous as you may well already know. Hope the little guy is ok.

Rod!~

Escaping with a few stitches is great, lucky he did not get hit in the eye.

I had a friend that was waiting for his dad to fix his bike. Dad went inside for something and my friend took the bike thinking it was done. When he did a wheelie, the front tire came off, as dad had not finished tightening it up.

When my friend came down, the forks hit and screeched to a halt while he went over the bars and plowed into the concrete. 2 black eyes, a broken nose and a fractured arm were his trophy's.

I had a few of those trips myself, and my son, now 17, has made it through those years with a few trips himself. Glad to hear the little guy is okay.

I got AFLAC when my son was about 9, and was glad to have it in addition to Blue Cross. I recommend the accident policy for anyone with small children. I think you can get it for about $15.00 a month.

I'm glad to hear your boy is going to be OK. Luckily we heal well!

By the time I was 18, I had broken: 2 toes, 2 tarsals (foot bones behind the toes), ALL of my fingers and 1 thumb, 4 knuckles, 3 ribs, numerous teeth, both tib and fib in my right ankle, and my nose (5 times).

I had never broken a bone or been stitched before turning 12. Seldom did any two of these injuries happen together, I can't even remember the times I've been sewn.

I got to know one doctor at the nearest emergency room so well, that we fished together.:rolleyes:

All that, and look how well I've turned out. (insert joke here) LOL

Listen to the AFLAC advice.:)

I'm glad to hear your boy is going to be OK. Luckily we heal well!

By the time I was 18, I had broken: 2 toes, 2 tarsals (foot bones behind the toes), ALL of my fingers and 1 thumb, 4 knuckles, 3 ribs, numerous teeth, both tib and fib in my right ankle, and my nose (5 times).

I had never broken a bone or been stitched before turning 12. Seldom did any two of these injuries happen together, I can't even remember the times I've been sewn.

I got to know one doctor at the nearest emergency room so well, that we fished together.:rolleyes:

All that, and look how well I've turned out. (insert joke here) LOL

Listen to the AFLAC advice.:)

You sure we arent related Scott?

Broke nose 6 times,8 fingers,4 tarsals,both eyes sockets(2 different occassions),Hair line fractures to upper and lower jaw(2 seperate occassions).Left thumb servered and reattached,both hands behind the fingers and right arm.Countless sprains,bruises and abrasions.

I stuck my hand in an old hand crank coffee grinder while my friend started cranking. Still dont know why I can use my hand.

My boy went over handlebars on bike when he was 5. Like Scott, had to put my full weight on him while they stiched up his lip. If they hadnt covered his face he probably wouldnt have fought so much.

Glad hes oK Jeff. Kids heal quickly, thank God.

You sure we arent related Scott?

Broke nose 6 times,8 fingers,4 tarsals,both eyes sockets(2 different occassions),Hair line fractures to upper and lower jaw(2 seperate occassions).Left thumb servered and reattached,broke both hands behind the fingers and right arm.Countless sprains,bruises and abrasions.

Oh yeah,titanium implant at c-4/c-5 in my neck 4 yrs ago.

This was no fleash wound it was wide open and after some motrin and ice cream he's ok little sore but fine. Thank s

This is not true everywhere, but it's worth looking into in your area. Here, Paramadecs live at the firestation. They also get service time credits for anything they work. If you go there with an "medium" injury, they will treat it for you at no cost. They get an hour or two credit for 15 min work (and no drive), you get good top notch first aid for free. They won't do stitches, but they will clean it up and put on butterfly bandages and advise whether they think you need to go get stitches.

When I was a kid, we lived about a mile from the fire station and I got 4-5 sets of butterflies there over the years.