Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

State of Affairs - Gas Prices etc

What are your thoughts as to why gas prices are dropping so dramatically? Election time or other conspiracies or is there a sudden supply surplus that nobody knew about?

I of course believe its a vast right wing conspiracy lol, big oil companies want republicans to stay in office, so they lower prices for a few months. BP has their major Alaskan pipe line shut down and are losing 4 or 400 million barrells a day and they are lowering prices just doesnt make sense. When oil was in the 60+ $$ a barral range before it was costing more at the pump than now. That just my liberal Democrat mind thinking

Also it sure does help that there hasnt been any or much wild weather. If they could get it down to a dollar a gallon I might even vote for W for a 3rd term. George W. Bush in 2008 & gas for $.98 Go George

What ever the reason its nice to be paying 72 cents less than I was a month or so ago YAY

Im glad the hurricaine season hasnt been that bad for Florida & the rest of the south

I am not one to jump on conspiracy theories. It is hard to believe that one man can push a button and lower the price of a commodity unless you could offer petroleum companies hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidy for lost profits). Prices are driven by supply and demand. I also have a real hard time believing in this world of super high tech detection that surplus oil reserves were suddenly found. Even if futures traders could dictate a market (and it would not be this dramatic off a change in my opinion) what indicators would drive the price down by 30% in 4 weeks?

It honestly has me baffled. I have heard the theories and explainations but they just don't sit right with me.

I am not one to jump on conspiracy theories. It is hard to believe that one man can push a button and lower the price of a commodity unless you could offer petroleum companies hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidy for lost profits). Prices are driven by supply and demand. I also have a real hard time believing in this world of super high tech detection that surplus oil reserves were suddenly found. Even if futures traders could dictate a market (and it would not be this dramatic off a change in my opinion) what indicators would drive the price down by 30% in 4 weeks?

It honestly has me baffled. I have heard the theories and explainations but they just don't sit right with me.

I dont think one man is controlling it. I dont think W asked them to drop prices, I think the oil companies want a republican congress so they dropped the prices. Their thinking ahead, they lose a little money now but gain in the long term with a republican president & congress that side with large corps, compared to the perception that dems dont. Even know thats not true Clinton = NAFTA

Thats just one of my thoughts, I do believe no real tragadies hurricaines etc has help , but not 70+ cents or more, theres things that go on we may never know

I was browsing through this and seeing the prices had to wonder what is everyone upset about. Then I saw the date. Diesel high is $4.99 here today and the low is $4.20. Unleaded is $3.50 and up for 87 octane.

Will it ever stop?

Circa 1993 at a US base in Germany, and unleaded was $4.00 per liter, so I guess we are still doing pretty good here. I would hate to see what is is going for over there right now.

I was browsing through this and seeing the prices had to wonder what is everyone upset about. Then I saw the date. Diesel high is $4.99 here today and the low is $4.20. Unleaded is $3.50 and up for 87 octane.

Will it ever stop?

Circa 1993 at a US base in Germany, and unleaded was $4.00 per liter, so I guess we are still doing pretty good here. I would hate to see what is is going for over there right now.

With a quick searck I found this from november last year.I'm sure it's higher now.

"price for diesel fuel in Germany topped today at 1.289 Euro per liter, which equals to 7.15 US$/gal"