Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

loyalty

Question

If you were subbing a job and the people you work for were playing some minor games with money and "the check is in the mail" story, would you go after the accounts to make them your own?

There is no contract, non-compete or anything else. Just a verbal do this job and get this much? .

I have all the contact info for the Property Managers, and know what they are getting paid.

9 answers to this question

The way I would look at is this. If agreed upon terms (especially those involving my payment) are not honored, all bets are off. I can understand you may be having a moral dilemma from an ethics standpoint and it is a fine line. Can you elaborate a bit more or are the details something you don't want in a public forum?

How would you feel if it were you trying that was the prime contractor? Here is what I would do, especially since they are giving you the check is in the mail routine. Keep in mind, I hate being lied to...

I would go after the PM and get the account. They will not be happy knowing that their vendors are not paying their bills, because in reality, they are potentially liable for payment. Ask any contractor, that is why they all insist on lien releases on all of their projects. So, it is totally justified and a service to the PM to take the account. I am not sure if I would let the prime know that I was taking it from him. He has already demonstrated that he is dishonest, so there is no telling what kind of lies he will tell about you...

If they are having trouble paying, or are delaying payment, there is a possibility the parent company could go under or become unable to manage the accounts. Notifiying the client of your availability in the future should the other company be unable to fulfill the customer's needs is the responsible thing to do. that's how I'd justify hijaaking someone else's work. I did in the janitorial field....two months later they called me and I had the new contract.

Preferred Pressure,

How long have they been playing around with you? Are talking a couple of weeks or has it been 3-4 months?

Based on the answer to the above I'd have to agree with everyone else here.

I expect to be treated as I treat. I've promised to do the work and the quality is there.......now I want to get paid. Period.

the larger the contractor, and the larger the contract will dictate how fast they pay. some contracts require submitted invoices by a certain date, say sept 20, for all work done up to that time and checks are issued on the 15th of next month. just an example but there is 3 weeks their and if your contractor submits late, it will be another month before they get the check to pay you.

even though you dont have a contract, they may and are bound by it.

its a tough position, but if say if its been more than 6 weeks, go for the customer!