Sign in to follow this  
krpalex

Cabot or Readyseal?

Question

17 answers to this question

I just received my first shipment of woodtux yesterday - and it gives a list of acceptable methods of applying the sealer - one of them is HVLP, but no mention of airless. Now when I use to spray cars - filling a quart canister is no big deal - but to spray a deck? Sorry to hijack thread - but can you go airless with woodtux?

I've also had excellent results applying Wood Tux with an airless. I have better results with the airless than I have with the HVLP (deckster) b/c I can apply a lighter coat with the airless & then apply a 2nd coat if necessary. Using the HVLP I tend to over apply and have to wipe away excess even after back brushing.

Ditto on using the lowest PSI on the airless.

We are a supplier of Ready Seal. Certainly the easiest of the product mentioned here to work with. You can find it on the above listed site, or you can call us direct. Our Gaitersburg, MD store also stocks it. (301-519-9274)

Plainpainter - A true HVLP works like you have mentioned, but most wood guys call an HVLP any sprayer that puts out less pressure, and more volume, than an airless sprayer. No refilling of qt jars with things like the Deckster; Sureflow; or even a pump-up sprayer. They still get concidered a High-Volume-Lo-Pressure spayer even though they are different from what you are reffering to.

Cabot solid color stain deffinetly has to go through an airless sprayer.

Also, as we get closer to the cold weather, remember that RS is not temp. regulated, only moisture content regulated. Please let me know how else I can be of help.

We've had no problems applying Wood Tux with our sprayer set up but after reading some of these posts, I believe we'll be trying the airless as well if we can get all of the dust bunnies out of it!

Celeste

Cabot and ReadySeal are completely too different kind or products . None of Cabots products are like RS. You need to do more research on what products do and the care of them. Many times on this board products get compared to each other but function differently. Once you understand how a product functions the choice is yours.

A true hvlp sprayer is an air sprayer as opposed to airless., and hv refers to high volume of air not product. these type sprayers produce less overspray than an airless.I dont think calling a deckster type sprayer an hvlp is entirely accurate. I also use an airless to apply woodtux. ive always liked my airless better than my deckster .Russell doesnt recomend an airless because he says it can heat the product causing flashing.Ive never had a problem, how hot does stain get inside the spray hose laying in the sun on a hot day? I cut the woodtux with about 10 % thinner and it is one of the best spraying products ive used with my airless, minimal drift, and multiple light coats soak right in with minimal brushing. frank

Cabot and ReadySeal are completely too different kind or products . None of Cabots products are like RS. You need to do more research on what products do and the care of them. Many times on this board products get compared to each other but function differently. Once you understand how a product functions the choice is yours.

Amen!!!!!!!!

where can I get some ready seal, those pics look great.

Yoy can go to www.readyseal.com and speak to Mike or Greg which are wonderful people to deal with, and they will direct you to a distributor in your area.

There is another product that is good too which Baker's Grey Away which you can get with Shane (Seymore) he will hook you up. If you look at some of his pictures, they look like it came from a magazine, its a great piece of art. I have seen both products and they are great. Everyone has diferent products that they use and depending on your preferences. :lgsideway

Most of the time when I apply a test stain spot for customers that want to see the product before chosing the color, they go with the Cabot's Natural Clear Solution. Ready Seal light brown some say looks too red, same with WTW and too orange/red for Sikkens.

Cabot's Clears don't last very long from my experience. I prefer WTW or Ready Seal or Sikkens.

Weird question: Sikkens does not make a clear coat for decks, too many of my customers don't like the orangey look of the Sikkens Natural and other reddish colors most sealers have.

As an attempt to make Cabot's last longer, can Sikkens car finish clear coat work on top of two coats of Cabot's Natural Clear Solution??????????

Too different to compare. This would be like asking, "I can't decide if I want to buy a car or an SUV", as opposed to a comparative question like, "do you like a chevy half-ton or Ford half-ton better". For just throwing out a random question, I'd say go with Readyseal in 90% of situations.

I think Cabots products have gone downhill since Lowe's started carrying it. A friend of mine runs a painting biz w/ 5 vans. He used to buy probably 100 gal of cabots a week. I've already had to strip 2 decks for him in the last month because of cabots new formula failure. It has the tendency to give many shiny/sticky spots on decks if even slightly overapplied. His guys do everything with 4" brushes and it still gets shiny spots. He stopped using it and is VERY UPSET with the rep and the company. I personally don't use it unless requested.