Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Weapons for protection

Question

I found myself in a rather awkward situation yesterday in the non racial city of Atlanta. I am curious as to what some on this forum do for protection for themselves and their helpers. Know that I have been "Color blind" towards different nationalities all of my life. My disbelief ( or stupidity ) was my downfall yesterday. Total shock was my enemy yesterday and caused me to stumble. Now unfortunatley I must recognize the ever changing times and come to grips that I do not ever want to be caught unprepared again.

Not just for me and my helper, moreso, I have a family.

Just curious

stun gun?

baton?

shotgun or pistol ( questionable in my world, but not totally out!!!)

star trek utility belt

RPG

Jet Li

Feel free to share your situations as well and how you handled it....... know that it could help me in the future.

..... and thanks to my new found Daylight I must come up with a new motto to go along with it...... something like Judas is everywhere and he carries a gun!!!!!

or ............keep your enemies even closer!!!!!!

or..... Trust no one , everyone is the enemy.........

There really is no Utopia.......... my bad!

I love my XJET........ ( just wish I had it hooked up at the time)

123 answers to this question

A .380 isnt enough 9mm or 45 is the ticket. But in that situation I dont think a gun would have helped unless he pulled one out on you. I actually had a guy in a 80's cutlass Big Rims tring to mess with me coming of the 10th st onto 75/85 on ramp He couldn't keep up with my Ram Air Trans Am.

Originally Posted by Jon Fife viewpost.gif

Re: guns--Mine's a .40 Sig Sauer, trick is to find the best gun for YOU. I'd have nothing but a Sig.

I like the .380, but I really feel like I should take the classes first and get used to handling a pistol.

and like I said, a pistol is not completely out of the question, because I know if that guy would have had a pistol I would not be writing this. But it certainly would be a good reasoning tool to have in situation like this.

I really do try to avoid violence, but i saw someone who didn't care whether I live or died yesterday and it could have been over for me in a second.

Personally I want to live.

so I guess that settles it.

Bigger truck with gun turrets.

Adrian,

Sorry you had to experience this and I'm glad to see that you are okay.

Luckily I don't live in an area where safety is my top most concern @ night. Maybe I should rethink my priorities.....the amish country scenario prooves that anything can happen anywhere.

When it comes to guns, I too am the type that is afraid of getting a gun b/c I will actually use it. However it would be foolish not to ponder what one would do with mace or pepper spray if you had more than one person approaching you at once.

ps: I'm going to send you some dog tags and a fake badge to hang around your neck....with all that equipment you're going to look like Dog the Bounty Hunter.:lgsideway

As an American,you have EVERY RIGHT to keep and BEAR arms,accorded to you in the Constituion of the United States.Do not EVER forget this.Unless you are a convicted felon.If you are not,research your state's gun laws,and obtain your right to carry permit,learn how to use the wepon of your choice,and understand the responsibility you bear as a law abiding citizen of this great country.It is not to be feared.Your right to keep and bear arms is NOT to be infringed.Not by the flippin' UN,not by Ted Kennedy,George Sorros,not by any group that seeks to destroy the soverignity of this country.The "world spin" of guns are "evil",is straight from the pit of hell....

Do not be deceived by the "do gooders" that don't want you to be able to protect yourself,from savages that grow bolder by the hour,be it some crack head,a school shooter,insane fundamentalist,the list goes on and on.

Check out the massive attack on the citizens of D.C,after the miscreant city gov banned hand guns,as opposed to what happens when a community serves notice to the animals of our modern day "society",that they are armed and prepared to defend their communities.Criminals are cowards and prey on the weak(unarmed,in this context).I am not fear mongering at all,but we don't live in our Daddy's world anymore.How far do you think the pieces of s%$# that killed 3,000 people on 9/11 would have gotten if we were still actually free.Do what you must to protect yourself,your biz,your country,and do not fear.My humble .02 .

A legally concealed weapon story:

A friend of mine in Houston (70sih and health problems) was accosted outside a convenience store. Several young gentlemen with dreadlocks started walking up on him saying, "You got some money for us, old man? Where's that money you got for us?"

He placed hand in the small of his back under his jacket, informed them that he was armed, and assured them that he would shoot until he felt safe if they continued.

They backed off and he went back in the store and called 911.

When the cops showed up these geniuses were still hanging around outside the store. Every one of them had warrants in New Orleans.

He didn't have to use force, but was capable and ready if it was necessary.

A weapon can be whatever is handy. An employee asked me once what we would do if someone came into the resturant wher we were working & asked for money. I replied we would be nice and pleasant and do exactly as told to do, right up to the point of endangering ourselves or others. We would help load up the money in the till, carry out all of the candy bars, give them the keys to the van, anything to not get hurt. All the while working on a description to give to the cops and always looking for a weapon if needed. I was asked if I carried, and told him that was not a question to be asked in Eastern Oregon. I told him he might find something in the closet in the van, but by the time "something" was retreived was retrieved, it would be too late. I said we were already armed with our wit, tools, pressure washer wand and more importantly, the Sodium Hydroxide. He asked if the SH would hurt someone and if I would feel bad about squirting someone. I said if I was worried enough to use SH for defense, I would not worry about anyone besides myself. I did feel the need one night to call the cops in Walla Walla, I had cops in the parking lot in 3 minutes. End of problem. I have written down the dispatch phone number a coulple of times.

In Oregon, your driver's lisence is cross-referenced to your carry permit. When you get pulled over, the cop knows if you have permit and are to hand the cop your driver's lisence and permit together. Soem cops get real nervous if you have a permit, I would be more concerned about someone who does not have a permit. In Oregon, you have to attend a class, get fingerprinted and have a LEDs run before getting a permit. Teh permit costs $50.00.

David, can you give us another view on this subject?

Nice post Don and Russ and Thad and lets see...who else posted..

We must protect ourselves and I wouldn't think twice about protecting my life or any other innocent person's life for that matter. The last thing in the world that I would want to do is shoot somebody, but if it came to it....shoot first ask questions later.

Also, I would not protect my "stuff" with deadly force...I would not shoot somebody over a pressure washer or money, or even my Titan :D...but if you are going to hurt me or my family, there is a bullseye that I see right between your beaty little evil eyes and I am one heck of a shot. If I may say so myself.

Just ask these guys...heheheh

post-1756-137772167577_thumb.jpg

I carried a gun with me when I was at Tech in Atlanta. I used to get there sometimes around 2 in the morning to sleep in the car and study before classes (worked 3 jobs at the time, so not much time to sleep at home). There was only one time when I actually had my hand on it in the car but I never had to show it. It was easier to just run the red light than to show the guy slobbering on my window my weapon....I could see his hands at all times and wasn't concerned about him having one. I rarely carry it now as I feel I can take on pretty much any attacker out there. Just remember....a strong kick to the knee cap will take down pretty much any assailant. As for your crazy guy situation, a gun would have been the best bet since you were sitting and had someone approaching your vehicle. The dangers with carrying in your vehicle though are that when you are away from it there is a possibility of it being stolen.

Do they have a conceal and carry permit in Atlanta?

It is legal here to conceal a firearm in a vehicle evem without one, if you're over 23. I own several firearms. I like the 9mm best. As far as getting stopped with it, I figure I'll just tell the cop that I have a loaded so-and-so, and where it is. He's got mothing to fear from me.

Do they have a conceal and carry permit in Atlanta?

It is legal here to conceal a firearm in a vehicle even without one, if you're over 23. I own several firearms. I like the 9mm best. As far as getting stopped with it, I figure I'll just tell the cop that I have a loaded so-and-so, and where it is. He's got mothing to fear from me.

Yes, we have CCW permits here in Atlanta. The law here is that you can carry it in your vehicle even if you don't have a permit. It's considered an extension of the home. With a permit, you are allowed to carry it waist and above. The rest states that you can't have it at a public gathering, places that serve alchol, churches, etc. The min. age is 21.

I find it interesting that some people though say they can't carry because of their temper. I couldn't see getting mad enough to pull my weapon on anyone unless it was acting in self defense solely. I have had to pull mine twice and both times it was necessary. Both times in downtown, but trust me downtown isn't as bad as Bankhead Hwy. right around 285. Unfortunately, Atlanta has a lot of bad areas that weren't so bad 3 to 5 years ago. For more info on every state's laws, you can check out www.packing.org , a very good site for questions on what's legal in each state. While most of us are talking about carrying local, you have to think about when you travel as well. When I went to New Orleans, a month after Katrina, I felt it very necessary to take my gun with me down there for obvious reasons. The place we were working on, was completely deserted for at least 7 to 8 miles.

Remember with a gun, if you pull it don't be fraid to use it. Don't just pull it as leaverage (sp) Some people will see it and not think you got the guts to use it so be prepared. I have never had to pull mine, if I have to I will use it if necessary. I have a temper too, but with a gun a cooler head will have to prevail in some circumstances. Like some people out there will want to shoot someone that cuts you off on the interstate right before the exit ramp. You cant do that. I know every one on here has had that happen and you want to run the idiot off the road, but a cooler head prevailed.

Atlanta has a lot of bad areas that weren't so bad 3 to 5 years ago. When I went to New Orleans, a month after Katrina, I felt it very necessary to take my gun with me down there for obvious reasons. The place we were working on, was completely deserted for at least 7 to 8 miles.

Thats where Atlanta went bad letting the New Orleans degenerates stay in Atlanta. Thank Shirley Franklin for that.

I was thinking what I would have done. I would have probably would have droped the F350 in low gear and pushed that P.O.S cutlass into the closest wall or flipped it which ever came first. But he picked on a little truck so its not apples to apples.

I carry a .380,small concealable and still packs a punch.

We have been approached more that once and usually my size is deterent enough.In Ga.the new laws allow you to protect yourself,family and property anywhere.

I am in law enforcement and understand the need to defend your self.

there are very few instances where i have to go hands on but I rely on my verbal judo skills . Just about any situation can be talked down .I live in Macon Ga.which means that there is a pretty good chance of someone coming up wanting a dollar or having plans of walking away with your equipment. Just remember that all of it can be replaced and just be a good witness for the police .