Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Johnson

New Competition

Question

37 answers to this question

" Power Washing can also help point out problems that are just starting

to show in the painted surfaces of your home or commercial building."

Yeah, or it can allow the pressure washer--who just happens to own a painting service--to cause paint damage to a dirty but otherwise undamaged finish. Beware of the pharmacist who also engineers bugs.

My thoughts exactly. Cold water, no soap, 3500psi. Wow, look at all that failed paint peeling off.

Before I started this biz, I had a PW'er strip the paint from a door frame to the wood. 1yr old paint, new primed wood for a base. Oh yea, that was a low pressure soap wash.

Matt it doesn't bother me that there is alot of new competition because I'm still here. I advertise twice a year spring and fall one ad sometimes two.

I pulled up to a quote today driving my 1987 Toyota panel van . Still had my oily clothes on from yesterday. Fell a sleep in the van last night! On the way over I didn't have any breakfeast so I picked up a quart of Colt 45( in a paper bag of course). Gee , I thought the home owner's wouldn't be home? But I was measuring up the house and had to take a leak. So there I was peeing and the curtain swung open and up came the window ! Who are you? the owner said; the Power Pee'er, I, I mean Power Washer you called. I gave the name of the other Power Washer who had and Ad in the paper and got out of there pronto !!. Went home showered changed got my nice truck went back and got the job and they told me about my competitor. LOL

Matt it doesn't bother me that there is alot of new competition because I'm still here. I advertise twice a year spring and fall one ad sometimes two.

I pulled up to a quote today driving my 1987 Toyota panel van . Still had my oily clothes on from yesterday. Fell a sleep in the van last night! On the way over I didn't have any breakfeast so I picked up a quart of Colt 45( in a paper bag of course). Gee , I thought the home owner's wouldn't be home? But I was measuring up the house and had to take a leak. So there I was peeing and the curtain swung open and up came the window ! Who are you? the owner said; the Power Pee'er, I, I mean Power Washer you called. I gave the name of the other Power Washer who had and Ad in the paper and got out of there pronto !!. Went home showered changed got my nice truck went back and got the job and they told me about my competitor. LOL

Thats funny right there I don't care who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!:lolsign:

Interesting. The average consumer may actually like the look of that picture where they apparently took a turbo nozzle to a fence but when they get a close look at the fur that is thicker than a Brown Bear they will wonder what happened.

Yikes!

You guys wouldn't believe how many of these scrubs are around me. Just a point too, that really gets under my skin. (I DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE BY STATING THIS FACT.) Sears created the name "power washer" so I always say pressure washer or pressure washing because that is the technical phrase. When I see locals using power wash I tend to think that they did not do their research. When my ad's graphic designers put out an ad for me they sometimes slip in power wash and I get a little upset. I just prefer the correct terminology and when I see a competitor's ad stating "power washing" I automatically think that they are inferior because I did such a tremendous amount of research into this biz and they apparently did not.

no no no no, I respect everyone on this board times 10, and there are guys on here that are 1000 times more experienced and basically better than me. In my startup research learned the origin of "power washer" and every time I see a company in my area that uses that terminology they are in a dodge caravan with the seats torn out, ladder racks and a 2600 psi washer. Thanks for bustin chops though, I enjoy a good bust!

I know exactly what you mean bro....(see pictures above) Anybody can be a power washer, just stop by Home Depot, pick up a pw, lowball some bids and BAM...you're in business. In the meantime, people like you and I put together business plans, researched to best products and methods, thought about our ways of advertising, planned everything down to the last crossing of the T, get insurance, get business licenses...etc, etc.

I cleaned a McDonalds kitchen exhaust system about a month ago and they told me that the last guy was working out of a Toyota Celica.....wth?

I went with "Power Washing" because here in KY, that term is used more often and when I would google it, it produced more results. I think that different areas use different terms.

That said, "Pressure Washing" is still my top keyword for the web site. LOL

Actually, we don't use much pressure for anything these days except for flat work. All low pressure here at First Choice Power Washing LLC.

...You did not....now THAT was a tall tale... funny too! Nah...you couldn't have done that....

Beth :cup:

Ok, now you done it James, I'ma gonna haf ta tern you in for impersin8ing a perfeshonal. 'hic!' Thats the one offser, lock im up!

:lol: Too funny James. I call shenanigans!

Rod!~

James,

I didn't know you were only joking! As I have always been a good student,

I always follow a god example. That said, I followed your lead this morning and got shot... Twice! I ran, and the cops got me. I had the bottle of Colt 45, and they arrested me. Thankfully, my wife brought my laptop to the jailhouse, so I could warn the other newbies not to try this marketing campaign. Excuse me a moment, gotta run... Here comes Bubba!

Scott- Fayette County Jail #334569875

I dont know why painters cant just stick with painting. I get request all the time to do painting and I have some cards in my wallet of a local painter I deal with and pass the jobs on to her.

Diamond Jim,

Last time I let you in on my modus operandi! For the record, Colt '45 is dishwater. Its Heineken or better or no beer at all.

Might be a fun poll. What do you do when the enlarged bladder needs relief on a job site? I'll readily admit to finding the most hidden site, preferably away from the house!