Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

What is most important in a deck restoration

Question

Lets say everything else is equal in terms of company professionalism, prep technique and work quality. What is most important to you and more more importantly your customers when judging a finished deck? Homeowner's reading this post, please feel free to respond with your thoughts.

40 answers to this question

Rick your goals are admirable. A big part of me agrees with you wholeheartedly. Thats why I need to turn over my woodcare to employees because this is not a paod hobby it is a company with people to answer to for profit (well for right now that's me and my family) You know as well as I do that that particular level of perfectionism may be overkill for exterior wood.

Ken,

My argument is not about perfection, after all we're often working on literally thousands of sq. ft. of exterior wood. Its not like refinshing some King Louie antique side table.

But that doesn't mean shoddy, incomplete, or inferior work is acceptable. I think most would agree that it takes little extra effort and time to do a superb, quality job. Its more a question of attitude. In any endeavor there is little satisfaction if you do not try your best. Customers and employees recognise this inately and in the long term I believe it pays big dividends for a small, specialized business.

I think if you properly strip, neutralize,defurr - and then put on a clear sealant as per customers request - then I don't think that constitutes as shoddy work. If I had a wife - and their was a mortgage payment coming up - and not to mention she was expecting a really really nice anniversary present - I'd have taken the 11k job and given them their clear. Not to mention - If I was married, with my luck - she turned down some lawyer or Doctor to be with me - but in return would expect me to really bring home the bacon. F - the reputation crap, life is too short - I would have done the job.

I wish I would get that offer for 11k to put clear on decks, it is easier to apply and maintain than tinted products. If after explaining the importance of tint in a wood sealer and the fact that it would turn gray they still wanted th clear, I would have signed them up for annual maintenance. I would have typed up a specific contract with a disclaimer about the wood turning gray and other stipulations. I have two customers who's decks I wash and seal with a clear every year. The clear I use has the very slightest of a tint to it though.

Jnoden,

This project consisted of all vertical western red cedar, no horiz. wood involved. We all approach and run our businesses differently. I'll try and explain why I turned the job down.

Virtually all my business is with homeowners. I do not pursue commercial or property management co. type of work. A good 75% of my jobs come from referrals. I'm now working on "3rd generation" referrals. In other words, did a job, was referred and did that job (1st generation). After completing that job, was referred by that homeowner to someone else who hired me and completed that job (2nd generation). Same thing again, making for a 3rd generation of referrals. Its a geometric type of marketing and takes time to establish. But referral business is in my experience the best business. You and your service are presold before you walk in the door.

At least in my area, to build and maintain this type of marketing, a reputation for reliable, honest, and quality work is paramount.

With the job in question, even though the contract was with the PM company, in my mind every resident in the community was my customer. Through maintenance fees, they are paying for the work. Who is going to be held responsible when their cedar looks bad in 12 or 18 months? Think they're going to be happy spending another big chunk of change so soon for maintenance? Logically, the PM company is responsible, but realistically, the contractor will take a large part of the blame.

These 50 or so residents are local business owners, professionals, etc., its a very high priced, exclusive community. They have many friends, families, associates, etc. in the area. It would be a bonanza if Windsor WoodCare provided an exceptional service, referrals from that outcome would be significant.

The opposite outcome may not be disasterous, but it goes against what I have tried to accomplish and build over the years. Certainly not worth it for my business.

I hear what you are saying and agree with you whole heartedly. We all run our businesses a little differently with different results. I guess I couldnt say for sure that I would have taken the job unless I was in that position. I dont want to come off like I would sacrafice a good plubice image to make money. I was just saying that I probably would have been willing to accept the job with certain stipulations. I dont know where you are from but I think that if you can make a deck look good for the summer and allow it to turn gray over the winter and restore it again in the spring, you are still providing a quality service if that is what the customer is looking for and they are willing to pay for it. It isnt any more money out of the individual deck owners pocket and they see you there every spring to make their deck look like new again.

I think the point of restoration is to give the wood integrity . Which is done with oils which in turn stops the aging process and gives longevity. Maintaining the surface and the integrity of the wood is a scheduling issue after restoration. I have restored many decks that are on scheduled maint.

The first finish is the most important so if you start out correctly it's a maint. issue. No need for restoration.

Jim,

The first finish is the most important so if you start out correctly it's a maint. issue.

So true. I've got to write that down and work it into the sales pitch. Says a whole lot with few words.

my business model is simple . Get in and out and get paid. I have been doing wash and stain in a day jobs for many years . I use water based stains and have good success [except deckscapes last year] with 2-3 yr repeat customers. my customers are aware of the finish that water based stains give. These stains simply fade over the years but don't turn gray. I make NO claims of warranty on the stains. I simply tell them my experince. This yr I am using olympic maximum. 2-3 yrs from now I will be able to tell them how it does. I can however, tell them of some of the experiences pros have had with this product and why I am using it. It fits my model that they were used to in the past. My performance is in the actual work, thats mainly how I am evaluated. Their decks looks great and no stain on their house. SIMPLE! Customers whose decks I used Deckscapes on were dissapointed in the STAIN not me. I'm prompt, professional, return all calls, and dependable. Thats what I sell. I don't pretend to be a "woodie" or expert of any kind but my repeat customers tell me their glad I'm still in business when they call. "me too !!!!"

RPETRY combine the network marketing of referrals and customers who keep comming back every 1-2-3 or so years and YOUR an established business !!! Toss in a few who call and" ASK " if they can give your number to a friend,neighbor, family member, and they feel like part of an exclusive club. It keeps me small time but low headaches at max profit with no advertising overhead. Finding your niche is key ! volume dealer vs high end customer service or something in between.

I've seen this thread comming to the top several times so lets see if we can revive it!?? what's your business model? Large company with multiple crews? wash crew and seperate stain crew? one man[woman] show? I mostly target deck wash and stain jobs. I do a few houses[vinyl sided] and a few fences and some concrete and brick. In the future I would like to have some concrete cleaning and gum removal commercial contracts but my time is limited now. I considered roof washing but a little voice says thats a young mans game .

I've seen this thread comming to the top several times so lets see if we can revive it!?? what's your business model? Large company with multiple crews? wash crew and seperate stain crew? one man[woman] show? I mostly target deck wash and stain jobs. I do a few houses[vinyl sided] and a few fences and some concrete and brick. In the future I would like to have some concrete cleaning and gum removal commercial contracts but my time is limited now. I considered roof washing but a little voice says thats a young mans game .

Well the thread comes up when people vote on the Poll.

Our wood restoration company has been around since 92 and it's mostly been 3 emplyoees at the most when i can keep the help.Wood Savers of Texas was built using the Gray Away exclusive from day 1 and that's how refferal customers have come to know us by.I think if your work and your product is consistant your work will be non stop.We haven't had to advertise in years with all the repeat biz! :cool:

Everyone certainly should have goals within their business. We're pretty much in line with Shane with regard to the size of our business. We have 5 employees putting 3 crews in the field working ordinarily. 4 workers and 1 sales guy plus myself whereever I'm most needed. I typically try to keep busy with the scheduling, operations and estimates but when the big homes come about I end up in my work bibs for several weeks throught the season. Haven't found THE guy that I can trust to manage the project alone just yet.

My goal is to grow the business much larger and branch out into surrounding areas as growth allows for it. Finding the help and the right people as usual has been the biggest challenge. Sales were good this year and fall has set us up real nice for spring of 2008 with about 2 to 3 months of work already on the table so next year should be great.