Sign in to follow this  
newlook

Geek Squad at Best Buy - Lost all my data!!

Question

Our business computer crashed last week. We have been hearing about how good the "Geek Squad" was at fixing computer systems and such so we thought we would take the unit in to have them (the experts) take a look at it.

I specifically requested for them to transfer all data over to the new 300 GB that they talked me into purchasing (I knew my old hard drive was full so a 300 GB purchase was a logical choice). All data meaning 5-6 years of contracts, budgets, Quickbooks, payroll data, payroll tax data, SSI data, Pictures of family vacations and etc. **oh they said our sound card was bad ~ so we needed a new one and don't forgot the new improved virus protector that your new hard drive would desperately need!!

Folks, did we ever get an eye full when my wife brought the computer back to the office yesterday. Not only did they NOT transfer any data whatsoever ~ they failed to reinstall any of the basic programs that were origianally on the computer. Programs such as Excel, Microsoft Word to name a few! New sound card doesn't produce any sound and I have things on my desktop that I never even heard of before!!

The wife went to the store today to inquire as to how such a mishap could happen. After speaking to three different people in that dept. that literally had no clue she finally was able to speak to the asst. mgr. The asst. mgr. admitted that it appeared that our computer was fixed rather quickly and that our original hard drive was corrupt. We explained that is why we brought the computer to them in the 1st place. Then the asst. mgr. did the unthinkable by telling us that their system was not equipped to retrieve data from corrupt hard drives BUT their sister company (no more than 5 miles away) could have fixed it. My wife literally went through the celing by this time after hearing this.

I am heading down there tomorrow with computer in hand and am giving them one more chance to come up with some answers that make sense to me. I am insulted that they want to credit me $99.00 after I have spent $700.00 with them and plus they lost 6 years of data which is priceless (I do have hard copies of my contracts).

I normally don't vent on the board but I tell you this one has me pretty upset. I most likely will be out of touch until this is resolved. Done venting!!!

31 answers to this question

Carlos...man that sucks...sorry to hear that. Take it to somebody who really knows what they're doing. My guess is that info can be brought back. My bro in law (computer genius) saved my stuff after my computer got hit by lightning...true story. It really depends on what they've done to it though....

That sucks! I called them recently, got a bad feeling over the phone and used someone else who I have been happy with. I will never, ever use them now. You better hope they have the old drive lying around somewhere...if they do take it somewhere else.

Beth

Carlos,

There are firms, may be one near you, that specialize in data recovery. A "corrupt" hard drive could be due to many things, but is often the result of a bad FAT or partition table. In all likelyhood, a good tech at a qualified company can completely restore all data and save the old hard drive.

Dependent on the drive condition, the service can get expensive. But six yrs. of business data cannot be replaced.

IMHO...never, ever, ever take any computer equipment to BestBuy. I'm computer literate (not a tech) and, after one discussion with their techs, realized they don't know what they're talking about. Even worse, I've had other home electronics screwed up by their service dept. and they don't take resonsibility for their mistakes. Talking to mgr. might get your money back (or some of it) but that's the best you can hope for.

Check out local technical schools. My wife teaches at a high school with a technical program and they've recovered my PC for free. Did a great job and were very careful. We have a local tech school that has a great IT program, they're always looking for "projects". Make sure the teachers are competent and understand the importance of saving the data before you let them dive in.

Last suggestion. BAckup data. Backup data. Backup data. Backup data. Burn backups of all files to CD or storage systems like zip drives. If your system crashes, you can always restore it from the backup.

kevinw

I agree Kevin, Backup, Backup, Backup. We all get busy and don't take the time to copy everything to disk, but sorry about all the headaches Carlos, but that is one of my fears, is what just happened to you. A few minutes today can save us all a lot of time and grief tomorrow. Of course we all know what hind site is----

Carlos,

Sadly, I am so completely not surprised. It's one of the reasons I got out of the business. We were making big $$ for offering expert advice. Alot of meagerly qualified people saw the $$$ we got (but not the training and experience behind it), and rushed to get 1yr certificates so they could be a technician, engineer, etc. Salaries plummeted as people got tired of paying $100-200/hr and getting horrible service from people who were often doing little more than guessing.

Today most professional "geeks" are little more than the guy who knows more than most of his customers. FAR from professionals....

I bailed when I saw my annual salary plummet to about 1/3 of what it was in just 4 years. I could have fought like heck to maintain the higher level, but it would have meant about 90%+ travel and other major concessions as the remaining skilled engineers fought for very few top level spots.....

Well...I made it back from Best Buy. I had a sneaking suspicion that they knew that they messed up and they were ready for me when I walked through the door. LOL.

Here is what they did for me after I raised my voice a couple of decibals:

*Sending my hard drive to the experts so that my data can be extracted ~ they are paying for it

*Gave me a couple of hundred of dollars of software as a gesture

*reduced the total cost down to $350.00 (it was originally $700.00)

*installed all the programs for free along with our Quickbooks.

Daniel,

My wife went throught 3 people and yesterday I went through 2. The store manager was the final person that we spoke to. My wife told me after we left that I was very loud in expressing my displeasure in their services.

Carlos, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I'm a full time PC Tech and the goons at Best Buy are usually nothing more than teenagers. I can't tell you how many times I've heard this same story. It's good that they are covering the costs for the hard drive data recovery for you. I know when we have to send hard drives out, it can run anywhere from $500 to $3000. It all depends on how hard the data is to recover by the company who does it.

I personally have an external back up hard drive. I recommend using the Maxtor One Touch system or a Western Digital backup drive, both are highly rated. I've never once had a problem with the Western Digital system I use. I'm also a big fan of the pen drive / usb key drives. I have a 1 gig one and I put all of my most valuable files on that as well. Of course you can't fit everything on a 1 gig drive, but the most important of important go on there and it's encrypted in case I ever lose it, the encryption scheme has never been cracked.

*Sending my hard drive to the experts so that my data can be extracted ~ they are paying for it

This is a big admission of guilt. Professional extraction is expensive...

Warning, beware of Carlos if he is yelling!

Couple years ago had the geek squad network our two computers and the laptop, got to talking to the guy about what is required to be one, believe it or not, just basic understanding about computers.

No testing, no special education, no nothing and no warranty. The network worked well till we moved here, set everything up and nothing worked, went to local Best Buy and they wanted $200 just to look at it, told him forget it.

Someday I will figure out how to network them and do it myself.

Carlos glad things worked out for you, even if you had to treat them like they were DEAF.

Jon

LOL about the deaf comment. Being that I am deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other could have been a factor in me talking loud to them :).

Good to see you Jon!!

One other note on backing up - and you must do that as a minimum - get a copy off site. If you have your backup in the same place as the original data you are only slightly better off than not backing up at all. If there is a fire, storm, theft or other disaster you will still lose all your valuable information. Now, as I speak I have most of my data locally (thump on my head). However, I have some of my most important data stored on remote web site. There are secure options to do at least that. However anything more than several hundred megabytes is hard to manage that way.

Former computer guy who had to maintain data for my company (among other things).

Hope that the data recovery works - if they did any install or attempts themselves some data could have been overwritten or key portions of files damaged enough that they will not be useful.

Worked at Best Buy for about 5 months in high school selling computers. Hated it. Took 5 weeks to go through 3 interviews, drug screening, etc. just to get hired and then I was only allowed to work 15 hours each week (atleast I had another 45 hour/week job so this was just crumb money anyway). When I was hired I was promised training, customer handling, etc. What I got was a blue shirt and a name tag and a hand wave in the general direction of my department. Within a week I was outselling everyone else in the department. I sold more computers in my 15 hours each week than the old veterans who worked a full 40. Then I got reprimanded. Why? Because I was selling people what they WANTED, not what cost the most. We were pushed to sell the $400 warranty coverage, which I didn't think was an absolute necessity, and I told customers this when they bought computers.

Now, one can argue that I was getting paid to work for Best Buy, and I should do whatever they want, and if that means pushing worthless warranties, then so be it. But I also had personal integrity and couldn't lie to customers when asked directly what I thought of the warranty. Thus the reason I only stayed a few months. They said "as long as you work for us you do things this way." So I fixed the problem for them.

Jon

LOL about the deaf comment. Being that I am deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other could have been a factor in me talking loud to them :).

Good to see you Jon!!

LOL, what is it with DEAF powerwashers?? I swear, I believe there are five deaf guys on TGS doing PW. Was yours work related Carlos?? Seems it would have been tough to be a fireman without hearing, or was it degenerative??