Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

Application methods

Question

I use The X Jet to apply my house wash, the trouble I have is with the Gutter Zap, it wouldn't be economical to apply it the same way, I've been using a pump up sprayer and a vehicle brush on an extension pole to work it, which has worked fine except those darn pump ups don't last worth a dodo and they ain't cheap.

I was wondering how yall go about applying it.

Gav

52 answers to this question

James,

No doubt the lubricant will collect dirt that water will not rinse off.

I've seen these black streaks reappear a year after the gutters have been cleaned, on old and new gutters. On old gutters, chances are the lubricant has long been weathered away.

I have a problem with the theory that the black streaks come from the shingles. The water runs over the shingles and into the gutter, not over the outer edge of the gutter. If things are designed properly, there shouldn't be any water from the roof running down the outside of the gutter. I read an explanation quite some time ago that made sense, but I can't recall the specifics. If I find it, I'll post it here.

I've worked for a mobile gutter company, and there is no lubricant used on the roller machine or the rolled aluminum. I've formed many thousands of feet of gutter on the jobsite and never applied any lubricant. The aluminum comes in large rolls and feeds through the machine, which forms it into a gutter. Kinda neat. :)

I am no longer concerned how the streaks got there, I am only concerned with cleaning them. Everyone uses what they like, applies it how they like. I use the same mixture to wash a house as I do to clean the gutters. I brush nothing. I x jet nothing. I apply soap to one side of the house, then the gutter, rinse the gutter as soon as soap is applied, then rinse the side of the house. I mentioned this somewhere before and no one beleived me. So, I will post a pic of a gutter done recently to show you guys that you are all wasting tons of time. But, you do it how you want. Do you beleive me now...

Black streak's and gutter's.

Well this is what happen's.

Would you believe that gutter's that dont ever see rain get black streak's?

What happen's is morning dew collect's on the gutter's and attract's the dirt. Then as the drop's get heavy they roll down the gutter, leaveing a dirt streak.

On alum gutter's it get's electrostaticly bonded to the finnish.

When that gutter comes clean, it's because you not only removed the dirt but a tiny layer of the paint.

This is also how meny surface cleaner's work on cement. They not only remove the dirt but a tiny layer of loose sand that is in/on the cement. They line's you see between the overlapping pass's are caused by removeing double the sand, but i degress.

Im sure anyone that has brushed a gutter to get it clean has seen the chem bucket turn white or get a white haze to it. That is some oxidised paint but also some health paint.

To prove this dew thing all you need to do is go to a RV dealer in las vagas and see a new RV that has never seen rain nor have a tar roof and watch the black streak's ron down from the top and window leadge's. Glass sweat's and roof's collect the dew in the gutter rail's.

The alum gutter's and facia are vertical and the soffit get's hanging dew but no streak's. The hanging dew will oxidise the metal and will pit it. Then the alum rot's and oxidise's and turn's a gun metal gray[raw unprotected alum and air]

This will never come clean and the only way to fix this is replacement. A good pressure washer will tell his customer about this.

A vented soffit is a pressure washer's best selling tool[for house washing]

You see air/wind hitting the house is driven up, also warm air rise's. Then the vent's in the soffit direct that air under the roof and out the ridge vent,gable vent or roof fan. It's a convection system that is used to keep your roof cool and save your shingle's.

Well when you get mold ON YOUR HOUSE. The spore's are air driven INTO YOUR HOUSE. Meny have air handler's,storage,liveing space,ect in the attic area.

This mean's mold IS IN YOUR HOUSE.

This mold can lead to meny health problem's.

Asthma,alergie's,ect......

So I have sold a house wash as a health risk as well as just makeing it look better.

p.s. gutter guard's have affect on why gutter's get black streak's.

Sorry for the long post:o

I can buy the electrostatic charged aluminum bonding dirt to it.

In essence then, we are not cleaning but stripping a thin layer of paint along with the dirt. That's why detergents without solvents or strippers do not clean the streaks.

As you can see, all 3 products contain a stripper or solvent and some both. I call Sodium Hydroxide the stripper and 2-Butoxyethanol is a solvent.

Gutter Zap

Sodium Hydroxide

2-Butoxyethanol / Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether

AllBrite

Sodium Metasilicate

Sodium Ethylenediamina Tetraacetate

Nonylphenol Polyoxyethylene

Gutter Shock

Sodium Hydroxide

Sodium Metasilicate

Sodium Ethylenediamina Tetraacetate

Nonylphenol Polyoxyethylene

Now if you can reverse the electrostatic charge, then you could clean the gutters with plain water.

Thanks Ron!

That is a brushed gutter, Look at the picture, perfect marks on the gutter, the spots under the gutter would have came clean also...

Not saying it cant be done, I do it all the time, but I still at times need to brush...

Matt

He's saying he uses a SOAP, but has not mentioned it by name here. However, he has mentioned it previously as a truckwash #6173 but has not given info as to where it can purchased. He said that his source had questionable ethics and was looking for a new source (this was on 10/13/2003). My suggestion is that the container or the MSDS (usually) has the manufacturer's name on it. From there, they can be reached and will provide you with a distributor's name and phone number.

He also says he downstreams it with an Adams injector (the Adams works at 1:5 ratio or 16.6% rate).

pressuretek hot water skid's are made by LARGO.

They are great unit's but you can get them cheaper the pressuretek.

The site itself suck's. They need a way to skip to what your looking for. Not look at every page of the catalog.

Mat, you are correct, I uploaded the wrong picture. but...

the outcome is still the same. I am not pushing the soap, try it, don't try it, makes no difference to me. I do know it works, I like it, I will keep using it. It has cut my time in half. Alan told you where to get it, all you do is pay shipping and you get a free sample, what have you got to lose. I wouldn't downstream it straight though, it will still be too strong.

Mike,

What are the key ingredients in the soap?

As Ron P. stated, the PressureTek web site is not the most userfriendly and contains no info on the chemicals he carries or are available for sale. There are also no MSDS info available on it. There is a brief mention of a housewash #6136 but that's it.

Thanks for the critique on my website I will take it into consideration. I will ad more information about the chemicals soon. 6136 ingredients are potassium hydroxide, nitrilotriacetic acid and trisodium salt. Its main application is a no brush truck wash. It is a strong alkaline cleaner (degreaser) that some use to clean homes and many others surfaces. 6132 is simlar just less aggressive.

Robert Williamson

Mike C. - EXTREME

Not SOOOO Fast! ...I'm still confused as to what product you use for the touchless gutter cleaning.

In one of your earlier posts you stated you use the 6173 Truck wash for it but PressureTek has no such product.

What is the product you use and what mix do you apply it.

What is the final ratio as it hits the gutter.