Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Saddam will hang

Question

Just caught the Breaking news Saddam Hussien and some of the other on trial will HANG. Goodbye to one of the biggest Phycos the world has ever seen

11/5/06 5am Good day for the Iraqee people

HANG EM HIGH!!!

27 answers to this question

And in doing so we become just like him...a killer.

Rod!~

I usually agree with a lot that you say, But its the iraqees that are doing this and they deserve justice. I think they should stone him in the streets or do what Saddam did to thousands gas them in the street

Well, not one more penny of our tax dollars need to be spent supporting his rotten ass in our prison and/or justice system. I say take him back over there, drop him in the middle of the desert amongst those that would get the most satisfaction/revenge, whatever you want to call it, and let them execute him.

Celeste

Jeff: Yes, a good day for the Iraqi people. A day that likely would never have happened had it not been for your buddy GW!!

As far as when, according to the news reports, it now goes to a 9 judge panel for review. If they don't reject the sentence (and they have unlimited time to either approve/reject) then he must be executed within 30 days of their decision.

The US didn't try him, didn't sentence him, and will not execute him. This is all Iraq.

I disagree that it makes us just like him. He killed unjustly and immorally for personal gain. He will be killed as punishment for that, not for anyone's personal gain.

I have mixed feelings about the death penalty, but in this case, there is no doubt what he's done. There's no doubt he's a deeply evil man.

Jeff: Yes, a good day for the Iraqi people. A day that likely would never have happened had it not been for your buddy GW!!

As far as when, according to the news reports, it now goes to a 9 judge panel for review. If they don't reject the sentence (and they have unlimited time to either approve/reject) then he must be executed within 30 days of their decision.

The US didn't try him, didn't sentence him, and will not execute him. This is all Iraq.

I disagree that it makes us just like him. He killed unjustly and immorally for personal gain. He will be killed as punishment for that, not for anyone's personal gain.

I have mixed feelings about the death penalty, but in this case, there is no doubt what he's done. There's no doubt he's a deeply evil man.

I know Mike, GW got him. I we as a country could of waited a little longer and spent the $320,000,000,000 and possibly saved many of the almost 3000 military mens lives and used all our resources going after those that attacked us on 9/11 and done other covert actions to go after our enemies. but this is old stuff and I am very pleased that Saddam will get his day. Thanks to the military and the fine job they did getting him and the great job they do every day

possibly saved many of the almost 3000 military mens lives

Many, many of those were non combat related. Eliminating those how many men did we actually lose as a result of the decision to invade Iraq? How many military personnel are killed here (non-combat related) in the USA in a three year period?

A quick search will reveal that 3.69% of the US population dies every year. 3.69% of the military population in Iraq is 5,530/year. We have lost approx 1k/yr. Seems to me that the odds of an enlisted man dying in Iraq is about 1/6th that of him dying here in the good old US of A.

Still think we're sending our boys into a massacre?

Many, many of those were non combat related. Eliminating those how many men did we actually lose as a result of the decision to invade Iraq? How many military personnel are killed here (non-combat related) in the USA in a three year period?

A quick search will reveal that 3.69% of the US population dies every year. 3.69% of the military population in Iraq is 5,530/year. We have lost approx 1k/yr. Seems to me that the odds of an enlisted man dying in Iraq is about 1/6th that of him dying here in the good old US of A.

Are you for real. Phillip 3.69% this - - - - - - - - - - - will you. Does 3.69 percent of our young under (40) die every year in usa. I know our boys have to fight I just think we should be fighting other places before we went to Iraq

Your so good with numbers, how come you make no sense at times:lgbonk:

Did I say massacre?

Actually death and life sentences in Iraq are appealable so it may take a bit longer than you think. If convicted after a second trial in appelate court then the President has to sign a decree to actually make it happen. Considering the fact that Iraq is mired in a civil war right now the sectarian violence that would erupt should he be hanged would probably cause this process to slow down and let him rot in jail for awhile until things appear to be calming down. The fact that the verdict is read two days before our mid-term elections smacks of US Executive Branch "pressure". He is in jail which is a good thing at least.

Most of those 3.69% die from natural causes or terminal illnesses. Most aren't young soldiers in fighting shape. I'd say the percentage of active military who die each year from non combat and non accident causes is much much lower.

Does 3.69 percent of our young under (40) die every year in usa.

I'm not sure. Why don't you check that out and get back with us?

My point (which makes sense) is that placed into context the number 3000 is not statistically abberant. However, it is often tossed about by the anti-bush crowd (without any context) for maximum shock value.

And to address Jeff & Mikes points: No, I did not factor out only ages 18-40 from the mortality tables. Nor did I factor accidental deaths/ friendly fire out of the 3000 military dead. Both would skew the results in different directions. But, you must also consider that we're not talking about reconciling a 20-30% difference. The mortality rate among free people in a non-combat area is 585% that of our boys.

Don't get me wrong, every soldiers life is highly valued. And Iraq is no picnic. But we have the best trained, best equipped, most highly educated fighting force on the planet. And for all that we have accomplished, the death tolls in combat are quite low.

Most of those 3.69% die from natural causes or terminal illnesses. Most aren't young soldiers in fighting shape. I'd say the percentage of active military who die each year from non combat and non accident causes is much much lower.

As I posted in a reply earlier, you and I don't disagree. But, people that are getting all worked up over 3000 killed would do well to examine the facts.

Of the 3000 dead, 2259 were combat related. That's only 1.7 per day for an active war zone. Compare that with 9.24 for Vietnam, 33.9 for the Korean War, and 281.5 for WWII.

I'm not sure. Why don't you check that out and get back with us?

My point (which makes sense) is that placed into context the number 3000 is not statistically abberant. However, it is often tossed about by the anti-bush crowd (without any context) for maximum shock value.

And to address Jeff & Mikes points: No, I did not factor out only ages 18-40 from the mortality tables. Nor did I factor accidental deaths/ friendly fire out of the 3000 military dead. Both would skew the results in different directions. But, you must also consider that we're not talking about reconciling a 20-30% difference. The mortality rate among free people in a non-combat area is 585% that of our boys.

Don't get me wrong, every soldiers life is highly valued. And Iraq is no picnic. But we have the best trained, best equipped, most highly educated fighting force on the planet. And for all that we have accomplished, the death tolls in combat are quite low.

3000 is low????????? For a war that was started on totally false/wrong intel. 3000 isnt low for anything

Bless their souls, Man I hate war. Those brave boys are just to young. We should start having wars where we send only the old say over forty and maybe a congressman or 2

............I saw a story tonight on a Marine who did 2 tours in Iraq and came home only to sign up for another tour and they were talking to him at Ground Zero and he had a tear in his eye and he said "seeing ground Zero wants to make him go back and fight with his Marines more" What a great man and a American he is. Great story. He's a brave man

As I posted in a reply earlier, you and I don't disagree. But, people that are getting all worked up over 3000 killed would do well to examine the facts.

Of the 3000 dead, 2259 were combat related. That's only 1.7 per day for an active war zone. Compare that with 9.24 for Vietnam, 33.9 for the Korean War, and 281.5 for WWII.

Tell that to their mothers I'm sure that will make them feel better ONLY 1.7

There was what 100 just this past month. That must be how it went from 1.6 to 1.7. Who gives a darn I wish there wasnt any dead in Iraq

You sound like the constipated mathematician, go work it out with a pencil LOL

3000 is low????????? For a war that was started on totally false/wrong intel. 3000 isnt low for anything

Yes, it is low. This isn't a barn dance, it is a WAR. And war, you kill people and break things. Unfortunately, so does your enemy.

As for faulty intel: The info came from people sneaking around in the dark of night grabbing what little info they could get and hoping they did not get killed in the process. It's not like we just sent an email over to Saddam and he faxed us the info. It's pretty easy for you guys with 20/20 hindsight to say how bad the intel was, but it's all we had, and we went with what we had. And I might remind you that the was believed to be accurate by our people, by the UK, by Australia, Bulgaria, Finland, Holland, Estonia, Fiji, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Poland, Romania, El Salvador, Slovakia, Spain, Thailand, and the Ukraine. (among others)

Oh, and I might also remind you that these Bush "loyalists" thought it to be true as well:

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."- Ted Kennedy

"The community of nations may see more and more of the very kind of threat Iraq poses now: a rogue state with weapons of mass destruction, ready to use them or provide them to terrorists." -- Bill Clinton

"Iraq is not the only nation in the world to possess weapons of mass destruction, but it is the only nation with a leader who has used them against his own people." -- Tom Daschle

"I will be voting to give the president of the United States the authority to use force - if necessary - to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." -- John F. Kerry

"As a member of the House Intelligence Committee ... Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region" -- Nancy Pelosi

............I saw a story tonight on a Marine who did 2 tours in Iraq and came home only to sign up for another tour and they were talking to him at Ground Zero and he had a tear in his eye and he said "seeing ground Zero wants to make him go back and fight with his Marines more" What a great man and a American he is. Great story. He's a brave man

All I can say is this: He has been there. He has seen it with his own two eyes. He believes that we should be there, and he believes it so strongly that he will risk HIS life to be there.

Interesting numbers. Shows how the US has progressed from fighting war primarily in the trenches to fighting a high-tech war primarily from the air. I wonder what the stats are for WWI.

Tell that to their mothers I'm sure that will make them feel better ONLY 1.7

Nope, it won't. Nor will it make the young widow a police officer feel any better that her husband died in the line of duty.

But neither of these sad events change the fact that there are things in this world that are worth dying for. And IMHO, stopping little children from being tortured, young women from being raped, old men from being beaten to death, etc are worth dying for.

Many soldiers now survive grevious wounds which would have killed them in previous wars. We must remember to consider that there will be many young men returning from this war alive, but with devastating injuries. It takes on a different perspective than previous wars in this context.

Interesting numbers. Shows how the US has progressed from fighting war primarily in the trenches to fighting a high-tech war primarily from the air. I wonder what the stats are for WWI.

~ 79/day.

More info here:

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/us/0409/list.us.casualties/popup.us.cas.11.01.06.gif

Note that WWI was actually 4 years, not 2 as noted there.

Also worth nothing is that in WWII the US lost more men in 24 hours (D-Day = 1465 dead, 1928 missing, 26 captured.) than we have in the entire Iraqi war. Counting allied partners, over 57,000 were lost at Normandy. For those keeping score, that's about 633/day.

~ 79/day.

More info here:

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/us/0409/list.us.casualties/popup.us.cas.11.01.06.gif

Note that WWI was actually 4 years, not 2 as noted there.

Philip, US paticipation in the First World War dates from 6 April, 1917; four days after Wilson addressed congress to announce that diplomatic relations between the United States and Imperial Germany were severed.

Before this date numerous Americans served in various volunteer capacities as disparate as ambulance drivers and combat pilots.

Upon entry to this conflict, US troopstrength was so low that Marines were used as infantry in the trenches, to augment the Army troops sent. We were largely viewed by the imperial governments of Europe as a naive source of idealistic, well-fed, motivated troops. We were meant for cannon fodder, but the stalemate was implacable, and the landlocked Germans bent under the preponderance of manpower they could no longer deny. They sued for peace.

It was the humiliating terms of the peace offered that led to the resentments and elaborate preparations for war carried to such awful conclusions during the Second World War. We went in to right wrongs we percieved, that were secondary to the goals of the rest of the world. We fought in bloody battles, and sought to uplift and convert our defeated enemies to our enlightened ways. We allowed those defeated enemies to fester for years in the predicament we forsaw, and then we avoided responsibility for the results. We refused to do anything about Versailles, and then about Hitler, Versailles' ******* son with Nationalism and the attendant scapegoating of the Jews.

The results of our entry and, more importantly, of the treaty we allowed, were unexpected and unintended. We defeated Imperial Germany, while helping to sow the seeds of Nazi Germany.

The greatest lesson of both world wars is the one pounded into the heads of the people that fought them: War is an awful, wasteful method of accomplishing anything. It is, and should remain, a last resort.

This war has not been as costly in life as others, but it sure hasn't been free of death, destruction, and suffering. I think it is important to recognize that. Failure to realize the human costs they pay is no way to honor the men and women that have and are serving our interests overseas.

There's been a really interesting war diary posted on foxnews.com by an Army Captain over the past year...gives a really interesting perspective on what's going on over there. Everybody ought to read it! He tells about the war at 6 inches...basically that everybody there has their own perspective on the war...guys at the front vs. back, guys in the North vs. South. The perspective from the guys there vs. the perspective we get from the media here. I don't think anybody can read it through without making some adjustment to their thinking on why we're there and what's really going on there.

One day's entry talked about training Iraqi police officers and taking them in for their entry examination. After training, they took about 90 trained Iraqis in for the test...about 20 passed. His comment was really interesting...only 20 out of 90 passed, but that means 20 more trained Iraqi police on the street than before. About 40 took the test and failed because they couldn't read or write. Then he goes on to describe that being illiterate is unusual here...but there, it's the majority that can't read or write...because Saddam spent the money on his palaces and left his people in uneducated poverty.

I know that my numbers aren't right...but they're in the ballpark. Regardless, I'd encourage everybody to take some time to check it out...very enlightening.