Sign in to follow this  
sflasealcoatinginc

oil stains

Question

33 answers to this question

I heard that if you use cat liter and grind it in with your boot that the liter getas into the pours of the crete and once that is swept you could use a degreaser or what ever worked the best so far.

I'll agree with Ken on the portland cement, and add that natural enzymes are very effective as well. If you keep the enzymes on pavers and it dries you'll end up with a white haze. Obviously not an issue with regular concrete.

Has anyone else got anything to add about this Klenztone #1.

Ironically I just got a call from a car dealership about an oil stain on sealed interlock, I have to go look at or do in the next week.I'm always open to another product, but I've only ever seen Suresh mention it??????

Ironically I just got a call from a car dealership about an oil stain on sealed interlock, I have to go look at or do in the next week.I'm always open to another product, but I've only ever seen Suresh mention it??????

I will tell you Restore-A-Deck is the world's best deck cleaner too ;-)

Hi John

I checked there web site the last time that product was mentioned. I'll be the guinea pig if no other responses appear. We do work at car dealerships somewhat frequently (twice in the last week). I'll post results if they sell the stuff in Canada. I sent them an e-mail request.

Klenztone works very well in most cases. I have used quite a bit and it has only failed me a couple times. I did not go with their up to 1 hour dwell time, so maybe it is my fault.

It is an acid, so treat it as such. Be prepared to do the whole area as it will brighten the surface.

Dear Richard,

Let me know what do you mean by sealed interlock, can I presume it as interlocking precast cement paver. Please note that KLENZTONE or any other similar degreaser works well on unsealed substrate. Fine, if you are cleaning a sealed substrate, again you should confirm whether the sealer used is of imprignation type or coating type. Either way if oil stains are only on specific areas, the best thing is to use poultice made of some thinner like Acetone or Xylene mixed with fine Talk powder of 250 mesh, applying in paste form to a thickness of 5mm on stained area with an addtional extension of spreading the paste to more than 10% of stain & sealing thus poulticed area with thick plastic sheet for atleast 24 hours.

You can also use WIN chemicals sweeping compound or AKEMI RTU poultice for removing oil stains if the the stained area is in small pockets of the floor. Hope my experience will help & if you happened solve the problem with this info, please let me know your results.

All the best,

Suresh Kumar G

I've recently been using Prosoco's Oils & Grease Stain Remover.

Poduct Detail

I first tried it out on my parent's garage floor. smooth concrete with 8 year-old motor oil stains. This stuff pulled out about 95% of the oil out on the first application and 99% out on the second. Great stuff.

The only drawback is that you have to let it dry overnight. So far, my customers have been very excited. I'm sold...

The only product ive used that has gotten any results is oil/stain remover by addiment... ive gotten (debuggs) which was a microbial cleaner ...did nada and have been sent many other sample degreasers... Oil itself i can remove..... but if oil has been down for a long period of time it will leave a distinct Carbon shadow which i dont know anyone that has been able to clean....i will try that klenztone and see how that does,,,richard let me know what results u get with that car dealership. :)

On Nov the 8th I mentioned I had to do an oil stain for a car dealership on sealed pavers. I got there and realized that my guys had sealed it last year. I knew who's sealer we had used and I had that companies grease release in the trailer. I was there half an hour.Took me as long to pull out the hoses,and put them away,as it did to remove the stain.If only money/jobs were all that easy. I was grinning the whole way to the next job.

I have also used the Prosoco oil stain remover. You mix it into a poultice, leave it overnight, and clean it up the next morning.

Dominion Restoration has some good stuff called DR-60 (Sodium Hydroxide based, if I remember correctly), their website is -

www.domrest.com

I think that Delco might also carry DR-60, at least they did at one time.

Haven't tried it yet, but I have heard some VERY good things about something called "Pour-n-Restore".

www.pour-n-restore.com

V-seal also carries some good stuff, and also for places where recovery is an issue when you need to clean V-Seal has a waterless concrete cleaner.

their website address -

www.vseal.com

1-877-73V-SEAL (877-738-7325) ask for Keith (a good guy)

There just aren't any better concrete sealants (or better people) in our entire industry than V-Seal products, imho, I won't even use anything else.

We just got a job that involves removing oil from a customer of a 3rd party that created the condition. This happened about 2 months ago and now an attorney is trying to help with remedy. There is a time constraint imposed by the customer and they insist on being present during the process. We have already decided that a waiver is going to be signed by all releasing us from liability. According to the 3rd party, they have tried to clean it but did not get it very clean. We suspect a stain remains and are not sure we can get it much cleaner but we are going to try. We accepted to help the 3rd party in the remedy but now temps could be a factor.

Any suggestions?

Beth/ Rod,

Prosoco has some good products however if you use them make sure you do ALL the concrete. When I used them I didnt and got what looked like bleach spots. So I had to re-do what I already did. Eatoils BT100 seems to really clean the concrete good. I actually use BT100 now and when I finish I go back with a pump up sprayer and spray again and let it sit. As long as the concrete is wet you shouldnt get any of the "bleach" spoting I received with Prosoco. You could use the Re-Krete (dry powder form)from V-seal before you power wash. Then once thats applied go back and power wash. May have to do the area more than a one time cleaning with anything to remove the "shadow" stain from the oil.

Hope this helps some. Just my 2 cents...

Rob Huffman

Aspen Contractors

443 307 7662

Dominion Restoration has some good stuff called DR-60 (Sodium Hydroxide based, if I remember correctly), their website is -

www.domrest.com

Dominion went out of business awhile back. The DR-60 was an acid based product similar to www.klenztone.com

I have tried the DR-60 on a few locations and it did NOTHING. I would have liked to get my money back but I got the run-around. After I tried it I re-read the instructions a few times to make sure that I applied it correctly and I did. I guess it will not work here in South Texas.

As the originator of the "spread and grind" method of oil stain removal, I highly recommend it. Use cheap clay kitty litter or (oil dry), spread it on the stain (scrape excess first) and grind it in with your shoes - until it is the consistency of talcum powder. Sweep it up and repeat if needed. By grinding the clay super-fine, it is able to get down into the pores of the concrete and absorb more oil. Try it. Total cost (for a big stain) is less than 25 cents and takes about 3 to 4 minutes.

Hi Rob,

Who is the supplier of the product you mentioned?

The shadow is going to be the biggest part of the satisfaction of the customer. I am sure that he will want as much of it gone as can be done if not 100%. I am prepared to inform him that this in most cases may not be possible and to expect a residual.

Rod!~

Rod,

The BT100 is from EatOils (www.eatoils.ca). They are in Canada but ship out of NY and I received my stuff in 2 days time. The Light Duty Concrete Cleaner is from Prosoco (www.prosoco.com). I would stay away from the Heavy Duty of Prosoco as I was told it will etch the concrete.

Then Vseal and Delco sells the Re-Krete powder formula. Dont know if thats the name for both those companies. If you spread this one its looks great with no power washing. However it will fade in time and stains come out. So what I would suggest is to use the powder first and then go back with the BT100 or LDCC. I personally favor the BT100 since you can spray it after you have done every thing and it will still work after you leave the site.

Hope this helps some. The kitty litter is the same purpose/idea as the powder formula but I am not sure if its as effective.

Rob Huffman

Aspen Contractors

443 307 7662