Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Burning Rings of Fire

Question

16 answers to this question

Firefighters battle flames on the perimeter of the California State University at San Bernardino during a wildfire that threatened the campus on October 25, 2003. The 2,500 acre fire prompted a hurried evacuation of the university and area homes. Photo by Fred Greaves/Reuters

post-12-137772138097_thumb.jpg

Power went out for most of the day, but the city is doing very well despite all the chaos. They shutdown the freeway in both directions, as they prepared to use it for a fire break.

If the fire were to jump the freeway, then I would be very concerned, as it would be to close for comfort. As it stands the fire is less than 4 miles away, but there is a lot of stuff in between.

The school districts in neighboring towns as well as my own, will be closed on Monday, due to air quality concerns.

Here is a Hero of the sky coming in to pickup water at the golf course. Was so close we got a car wash out of the deal.

post-12-137772138099_thumb.jpg

They are bringing in people from Kern COunty to fight the fires? Dang, I knew nobody liked Bakersfield, but really!!!

:(

Those fires are close to you, and the difference between your wold fires and ours are that you have a really good fuel in grass that burns fast, and is done. If Arizona has one, it is trees in the forest, which do not threaten my house, and they burn for a really long time, and get really hot.

No matter what, they are scary. So Jon, what does it look like in you rneck of the woods?

For those of you that do not know, Jon lives right next to San Bernardino.

Scott

We are pretty much shocked our whole mountain area is about to be bare of tree's, homes and summer cabins.

Words cannot say what even those pictures Alan posted say and that is not saying enough. Our home has been kept shut with the AC on 24 hours a day, air is full of ash and smoke.

The fires are close to us, about 20 minutes from us at the lowest point.

No time frame yet as to when the fires will be out, not much they can do to get into the area most are in, very rugged, no fire roads and not way to escape if the fire and wind change directions.

I feel deeply for all those families that lost anything it all, and more so for those that lost it all, nothing but memories left, very sad.

---------------------

Now is the time for everyone to take pictures and serial numbers of all the things in your home (s).

One fire can wipe it all out and you need that information to speed up replacement with insurance companies.

Put your VIP papers and things in one place so you can grab them if ever you need to. If you have a safe remember a fire such as the ones we are having are going to melt what is inside that safe since the fire ratings are not that high.

----------------------

I also worry that we will now have some very tight water restrictions and they might even put them on all of us PWers here.

That and some customers might cut back or cancel for the same reasons, to conserve water.

Not a good time to live in So. Ca.

Thanks Rick,

I think right now I would rather deal with gators and crocks then fires.

Smoke is getting thicker as the winds shift towards us.

Cough cough!

But seriously it is bad here and the best sound this partly deaf guy hears all day today is those heavenly loaded fire fighting planes, one after the other coming in and taking off.

I am in the flight path of the old Norton AFB. Lovely sound to me too, deep rumbling, those guys deserve tons of credit.

I remember a movie a few years back about forrest fighting planes and all but can't recall the name. I think it's star was Mel Gibson.

Anyone remember that movie, well to see these planes and helicopters in action up close gives you a good idea of dangerous work.

To all who are interested, Alan and I live a couple hours apart but are both in hot fire area's.

Alan called it a ring of fire, I call it a state on fire!

A United States Air Force C-130 fire fighting plane flies over the Simi Valley fire as flames engulf a hillside north of the Highway 118 in the Porter Ranch section of Los Angeles, Monday, Oct. 27, 2003. (AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian)

post-12-137772138111_thumb.jpg

A pair of Los Angeles County firefighters are dwarfed by flames dozens of feet high as a hot spot from the Simi Valley fire flares up in Stevenson Ranch Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2003. As of midday firefighters had been able to save all the homes in this area. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

post-12-137772138116_thumb.jpg

Firefighter Who Died Described As Well-Loved

Man Leaves Behind Wife, Two Children

POSTED: 6:43 a.m. PST October 30, 2003

UPDATED: 6:58 a.m. PST October 30, 2003

SAN DIEGO -- The first firefighter to die in Southern California's latest wildfires is being described as dedicated, hard-working, and well-loved.

Steve ********** was a 38-year-old fire engineer from the 6162 Novato Fire Protection District who died while battling flames Tuesday. Novato is in northern California.

His fire chief, Jeff Meston, told NBC's "Today" show that **********'s loss is difficult not just for his family but for the community in which he was very involved.

Meston said ********** made the ultimate sacrifice. **********, according to Meston, wanted to come to southern California to help fight the fires.

Jim Wright of the California Department of Forestry tells the "Today" show that firefighters know they have a job to continue. He said they will keep battling the fires to bring them to an end as quickly as possible.

********** was among 20 people whose lives have been claimed as a result of the blazes.

He leaves behind a wife and two young children.