Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

Which HVLP

Question

I have a lot of doors in my house I would like to spray with lacquer and was thinking it would be the perfect time to purchace a HVLP sprayer. Was wondering what I should buy to make the job easier. I have a air compressor with and el cheapo spray gun I have sprayed lacquer with before, but I remember it was hard to control the pressure without having to much pressure which causes a fog and overspray. I've heard HVLP is the way to go, and was wondering what would work for me.

31 answers to this question

I have a lot of doors in my house I would like to spray with lacquer and was thinking it would be the perfect time to purchace a HVLP sprayer. Was wondering what I should buy to make the job easier. I have a air compressor with and el cheapo spray gun I have sprayed lacquer with before, but I remember it was hard to control the pressure without having to much pressure which causes a fog and overspray. I've heard HVLP is the way to go, and was wondering what would work for me.

I have had and used expensive turbine HVLP's like Graco and DevilBliss, costing on up into the $1,000 price range, and they do a very nice job, but for the kind of exterior work we are doing I use a Wagner (non-bleeder) conversion gun (I think I paid just a little over $100 for it), run off a little 2hp 6 gallon pancake compressor, and it does just fine for what I need it for.

Should work for the kinds of clear coat material you are spraying on your doors.

You don't always have to spend a ton of money for equipment you don't plan on using often, or you need or plan to heavily depend on it.

Heck, for some kinds of work I do on decks, fences and outdoor furniture I have one of those very inexpensive little Wagner "Control Spray" thingies and as long as I am careful using it I have always been happy with the results I got, saving time to set up more complicated equipment for doing small jobs and touch up work.

The materials you use, how you prep to do the work, and the operator of the sprayer are as big a part of what you are doing as the equipment you will be using.

Not long ago I had customers, some older folks who just didn't have so much $$, and their kitchen cabinets were old and dirty from 40 years of getting not much at all done to/for them. They couldn't afford expensive refinishing work, so we took the doors off and drawers out, cleaned the wood, cleaned and refinished the hardware (couldn't really even afford new hw) and sprayed clearcoat (used clear only, didn't even use any stain) on all the surfaces, and the result really turned out nice for a LOT less than the $2,500 and up other people were quoting them to refinish their cabinets.

Go for it, your doors oughta look really nice when you are done.

I hope this doesn't interfere with any of the supporting vendors, if it does, Beth please remove.

John, I have had excellent success both selling and using these units. Several contractors from this board have purchased this low cost HVLP and have reported equally satisfying results.

http://www.restore-a-deck.com/catalog/item/3109188/3238666.htm

Email me if you have any questions.

I hope this doesn't interfere with any of the supporting vendors, if it does, Beth please remove.

John, I have had excellent success both selling and using these units. Several contractors from this board have purchased this low cost HVLP and have reported equally satisfying results.

http://www.restore-a-deck.com/catalog/item/3109188/3238666.htm

Email me if you have any questions.

Ken,

Will that unit spray Wood Tux & Ready Seal?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, Mike. In fact I have sprayed latex paint thinned with some Floetrol.

The downside of course is the type of feed a low priced unit like this provides. Without a pressure driven pot you are slowed by the quart capacity of the cup. We overcome this by having a production line of cups/sprayers ready so its unplug, replug and keep moving. Its not really practical to try and do a floor with something like this, though I have had guys say it still was fast enough on floors to make it worthwhile. You positively cannot beat it for the price especially when you see how fast you can move on rails with minimal overspray.

Yes, Mike. In fact I have sprayed latex paint thinned with some Floetrol.

The downside of course is the type of feed a low priced unit like this provides. Without a pressure driven pot you are slowed by the quart capacity of the cup. We overcome this by having a production line of cups/sprayers ready so its unplug, replug and keep moving. Its not really practical to try and do a floor with something like this, though I have had guys say it still was fast enough on floors to make it worthwhile. You positively cannot beat it for the price especially when you see how fast you can move on rails with minimal overspray.

Thanks for the info Ken. I'm looking for a fast way to do railings/spindles and this look good. Probably would just use a pad for application on the floor.

Did you backbrush the WoodTux on rails after spraying? Does the finish look the same as if you applied with a brush or pad once dried?

Mike

Mike, the finish, in my opinion looks better. You get more even tone. I always recommend backbrushing but on some very dry woods I didn't have to. Here are two examples. (notice the minimum of overspray on the tarp..this requires a bit of technique but you get the idea)

post-581-13777217075_thumb.jpg

post-581-137772170755_thumb.jpg

Ken,

I agree with you. I guess I am sorta sounding like an unpaid shill for you, but the sprayer you sell will do a surprisingly nice job for the kinds of work we do, especially for the price of that sprayer you are selling. People just don't realize it until they have tried one.

I normally use a conversion gun and compressor for HVLP, but my primary turbine sprayer is a Wagner 2900. The one you sell is a much less expensive, but very similiar version to that type unit. I have had mine for several years with no trouble at all from it. There is a better gun available as kind of an upgrade if I am not mistaken, the same gun used on more expensive sprayers.

Sure you can spend a lot more for a Graco, Titan or DevilBliss (and they are all high quality equipment), but for the money you spend to apply sealant to a deck or fence I just don't see the point in spending so much more hard earned cash on more expensive equipment.

Maybe to clearcoat a Mercedes, yeah, but we are talking about decks and fences...

I have used both types, and the time spent using either one, and looking at the final result, for the extra money the more expensive ones cost I would go with something like these almost every time.

It's just a deck or fence we are doing most of the time, and most of your competition will use quicker means, even to use a pump-up sprayer. I even saw one guy applying some el-cheapo stain with a mop and a rag not long ago.

If we use a quality sealer like ready seal, applied with HVLP (I even prefer it to a deckster) you are going to get noticeably better quality of work than your competition, while you can maximize profits by not spending so much $$ on equipment.

The original post said he already has a compressor, and he can get a nice conversion spray guy for somewhere around $100.00

Sorry to butt in, but I guess I tend to be one of those who tries to be as practical and economical (yeah, maybe sometimes even cheap) as I can in how I spend my $$ to buy what I need to do my job.

One sure way I know of to maximize profits is to control equipment costs.

Thinks for all the advise. I noticed the cheap Wagner control spray unit has the turbine built into the gun, which means you are not restricted by the 15' air hose. I figure the gun has to be heavier, but would this elcheapo unit do everything I need, or should I steer clear of this unit?

Steer Clear. It will not do what you want it to. The finish is erratic. The parts are el cheapo. They leak. The turbine/motor clogs with overspray. I've used plenty of them. You would be just as restricted with either unit as both are electric powered.

I agree with Ken. I bought the Wagner HVLP that has the turbine and gun built into one piece. For one it's heavier and it tires your arm out doing those rails. And like Ken said the overspray gets sucked right into the turbine and gums it up. Mine eventually just quit working, and I cleaned it everytime I used it. I fixed it one time but then it didn't last long and burnt up. I went ahead and bought the Wagner HVLP with the hose, it's a lot more relief on your arms. The only thing I liked better about the other one is the fact that it doesn't blow out air until you pull the trigger, which the one with the hose continues blowing air. After getting used to it, everything is ok now. Ken is the one you sell very similar to the one you buy at Lowe's? Mine is the Wagner HVLP Fine Mist I believe. I use my Flo-Jet set up which is similar to a deckster for floors most people call those HVLP's but there not.

For the money, the one that Ken has is a really really good deal, and at that price if it only lasts you a couple of years you can trash it and get another one.

I haven't had any of the trouble these other guys mention with my little Waner Control Spray, but it does get heavy, so I only use it for quickie stuff.

Still for the diff in $$ I would buy what Ken offers instead of the Control Spray. HVLP gun and turbine is really the best way to go imho, gun and compressor is a close second, but with gun and compressor you will have issues with filtration, getting minute amounts of oil in what you are spraying, cooling issues for the oil and compressor, etc.

You mention the air hissing all the time - that is called a "bleeder" gun. Okay once you get used to it, but you will like a "non bleeder" guns so much better.

Here is the same gun I use with my compressor (since you already said that you have a compressor) and it does an extremely nice job for what I do with it.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

Happy spraying!

Ken is the one you sell very similar to the one you buy at Lowe's? Mine is the Wagner HVLP Fine Mist I believe. I use my Flo-Jet set up which is similar to a deckster for floors most people call those HVLP's but there not.

John, I am not sure what Lowe's sells. I can tell you that anything in this price range (especially sold at a big box store) is not going to have the quality of what I am selling (stainless and brass nozzles and assembly, die cast cups etc.) Will the Wagner Fine Coat compare to the finish achievable with a $900 unit? Probably not.. I'd be silly to make a claim like that although I have spoken to customers that after they did their decks, they played around with the unit and were able to achieve factory like finishes in their workshops using lacquers.

I believe these units retailed for about $300 when new. These are reconditioned units (made better with higher quality parts). I stand behind everything I sell 100%. If you don't like the unit and don't think its worth the extra $40 over what you would get at Home Depot I will gladly refund the entire purchase price including original shipping charges.

Ken I just ordered one of the units off of the web site, but it acted a little goofy when I entered my card no. at checkout. I believe the reason it didn't match the card address with mine because the card I put it on is a mastercard swiftGift card and it doesn't carry the card holders address, it carries the givers address which is honeywell where I'm employed.

To late, but to make a long story short, I just want to verify my order went through, and I will be doing honeydoos finishing my doors befor Christmas.

Thanks Ken!

I fsomeoen does want to go the Graco route, I would suggest spending teh extra couple of hundred bucks to get the type that has a remote cup, vs the attached cup and gun. If someone really wants the attached cup and gun, I have one that is used I can make you a pretty good deal on. I paid about $1500 for it. Make me a decent offer, and we will see.

Thank you very much for the orders guys. (John I'll keep an eye on my gateway activity) Everything will be processed and sent out tommorow. UPS tracking numbers will be following.

Thanks Ken.

If you've got a compressor and want a great hvlp gun for little money, check this out...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43430

I found out about this from some online automotive forums. It's good enough to paint cars and do a good job.

I've used mine for too many things to count. It does not do a good job with heavy paints like primers.

Thanks for all the help Ken, I received the sprayer yesterday, and it looks great. Can't wait to crank it up and spray lacquer on these doors, problem is the weather is a little cold outside to spray right now, might have to crank up the heat in the garage and have at it.

John, make sure you play with it and do some samples. Set the spray pattern wide by twisting the nozzle and adjust your trigger until you get the desired flow. Any questions, give me a call.

Put water in it last night and adjusted the spray pattern and flow for practice, I know the viscosity on each material will be different, and I will have fun tuning it in. Thanks again Ken.icon10.gif

These things are great. I just bought four of them from KF....a couple of guys that work for me had one and brought it in one day to trim out the windows. Ended up using to shoot deck railings, fascia's, windows, and more. Once i saw how effective they were, I knew they were a must-have (KF's been telling me that for a year). The apply a great pattern, and don't waste near as much as an airless with far less overspray. Then you can dial them in to shoot detail work like windows, etc. and use almost like an airbrush.

These guys bought theirs new for around $300. I think KF sells the refurbs with better parts for around $90. This is a rediculous price, I'd recommend anyone buy one just for fun for that amount. IMO, if you are going to use as your main method of app, you need more than one (multiple reasons for this). I got four as I want to systemize it with one crew and see how many we need to be effective with 2/3 man crews.

I don't want this just to be one big infomercial---they have limitations. Probably don't apply fast/heavy enough to stain a deck floor/walls with a fast penetrator like Readyseal. We'll still use an airless for bulk wall area for speed---but use these for details and areas that have lots of waste. Also, these are great for a crew just starting out.....far less learning curve with these than an airless/Shurflo type sprayer, as you can go so much slower.

From time I ordered w/ KF, at my door in four days. The most important thing I've noticed about KF's sprayer compared to the one's my guy's had was the improved fittings, etc. that came with the refurb models. I've seen other refurbs of this sprayer at other places, but they don't have the improvements that KF's have, and that is massive. Trust me on this one, I did my homework and KF's deal is truly nuts. You guys think I'm joking, but once I get my system figured out, I'm going to buy 20 more of these and store them so I have them for the future. This is a deal. jf