Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Homeowner Perspective - a must read

I stole this from another board. Its self explainatory and I have read it six times. Its a perspective we all often forget.

I usually lurk a lot here because I am not technically a contractor in the same field as you, but this thread seems to have some folks struggling and I am hoping it's okay that I logged in. I am a contractor of marketing and communications materials as well as being a home owner having a lot of work done. So maybe I can offer you a perspective to help the discussion. Here's hoping anyway, and if I am out of line, I will understand being deleted.

When people use the term 'quality' to sell it comes across as a bit airy fairy except in a few instances. There is an absolute science to how words are used with various customers and you usually won't see the word 'quality' used unless you are talking very high end items with great reputations. It's those reputations that allow them to market as they do because people already know their names and what they do.

If one of you comes to my house to quote a job for me and you tell me you offer quality work, I am here to tell you that the last 3 guys said the very same thing. It is a weak selling point because (as already noted) it means different things to different people and no one is going to freely admit they don't do quality work (they'll tell you the other guys don't easily enough though). It's also impossible to quantify. What is the benchmark of quality? That's what the homeowner needs to know.

Think how you buy things that you aren't completely familiar with (because you probably are selling to people who are doing things they either have never done before or very infrequently before...your GC's know what they are looking for already and they are a different sell). A computer for instance. Do you go with 'quality' or do you go with whether it suits your use and budget first? Are you even interested in how many gigs it has or more whether it will do all you want it to do? Do you care if it has bluetooth this and that or do you just want to use a wireless keyboard? After you find the benefits you want then you start asking the feature questions to narrow it down.

The trick in marketing is selling benefits first. So that's not features because unless someone is really knowledgable, they don't care about the features that much. They care about what it (the feature) means to them.

So, instead of telling them you use better paint, you tell them what better paint will do for them. It's more depth of colour, a smoother finish, withstands marks and scuffs or cleaning, takes few coats or whatever it does. That, they understand, but they probably don't understand why Venetian Red in Ralph Lauren is a nightmare compared to the same red in another brand at another price unless someone tells them. They won't understand why they can't get a colour matched in a $20 gallon instead of paying $35...unless they are told how it benefits them. They don't care if it's easier for you, they care you will require less time/cost to finish, will give them a better result, etc.

They know they have heard from friends that the cheaper brand works great, you don't need primer, etc. and so on, but until someone points out the difference, they have no scale to measure things with.

Just reading the thread, so much of 'features' have been mentioned but it doesn't seem the benefits are being laid out for the HO. Explaining in benefits to them can really help both you and them. If they can afford it, they will pay for something they see as useful or important to them. The ones with some experience may be totally relieved to have all the ups and downs explained because they've already seen what can happen. The newbies deserve the education. Truth be told, between all the TV shows and nightmare stories people have, most are on the defensive when starting any work with contractors they are so afraid of being taken advantage of. Having someone walk in and explain why things are best done a certain way that they can associate with their lives can be a real relief.

The drawer glide example was a good one. I have shopped for those lately and had no idea..they are all metal, some are heavier than others, they vary a lot in price. For my silly little house I was thinking of going with the cheaper ones until one salesperson finally pointed out I'd be fighting with the drawer everytime I opened it, they would probably break in no time, harder to install, not worth the frustration. Now that I needed to know. Had he said 'well these aren't as good as those' would have been pretty useless info to me (somewhat effective, but still not very specific). Other times I had looked I was basically told they were pretty much all the same, just priced differently, pick some and lets go ring 'em in. So, from ignorant of what to buy to being completely willing to buy the best without question all because someone had educated me.

I would suggest that when you are speaking with potential clients you leave out the 'quality' and tell them why your work/product is going to work better for them.

Examples:

experience = fewer worries for the customer as you know how to handle the work and any surprises that show up, a track record of happy customers

higher price = no surprises at the end, all quotes are in writing so you know what you are paying for with no additional costs unless the scope of the work changes, job gets done right the first time and to their specifications

better materials = more professional look/finish, better warranty, less likelihood of problems or breakdowns, better feel (you can actually 'feel' when something is quality other times you only know over time)

customer service = jobs are done without hassle, total cleanup, won't take longer than necessary, willingness to communicate with customer

professional = on time, on schedule, on budget, fully insured,

I hope you get the idea. Figure out why you or your work are better quality but tell the customer in a way that appeals to them. It's called WIIFM (what's in it for me). It's the very first thing all advertising does (well good advertising). It's not look what this car is made of, it's look how cool you look in this car, or how much stuff you can haul that comes first, then they get into the why's/features.

I can also tell you from some recent experience getting quotes that one high end (allegedly) place gave me an off the cuff type quote and when I asked what was covered all I got was an attitude of we're good enough that we don't have to explain, you just have to know we are using the best of everything. You know what, they may be, but they aren't doing my house. I'm not stupid. I am not inclined to deal with smug attitudes even if I can afford it. I sure am not giving anyone carte blanche to go work away without telling me what materials I am paying for or how much experience they have. So they say they are quality, but I have no idea if their definition is the same as mine and they are crazy to be using that as their sole selling feature IMO.

On the other side was a quote a few years ago from a painter that was obviously out of my league for the job I had. He did get a call though when he was needed as we knew why he was the price he was and it was that expertise that was needed. No surprises, he was more thorough than imagined, and he stated that up front and why he felt it was worth the effort and expense. You don't mind paying more when you have been educated that way.

On that note, it isn't very often he would be called for a job that was beneath his level (the first time with me was a complete fluke). He concentrates on the high end. I would suppose if any of you are running into people who are not prepared for the level you offer, then it might be worth asking yourselves why you are being called. Perhaps your ads or cards or something are not reflecting the type of work you want and are attracting customers you probably don't want to be targetting. If you don't want to be wasting a lot of time quoting on jobs you are probably over qualified for, it's something to look into.

Okay, back into lurking and learning. I hope you don't mind my cutting in.

This is probably the best post I have read anywhere all year.

Ken , great perspective.

I think this is the way I have alway conducted my marketing and business. Where 75% of calls are high caliber. I love doing work for people who can't afford you but save to have the best.

Ken you always amaze me with the stuff you write and find. It has helped me to look at my business in a whole new perspective, after 14 years. And I think about your little quote "are you listening or just waiting to speak" if you can believe it, it has reduced my talking...not too much though.

Ken Thanx for tttt...

I like the way it is written to inspire. Does anyone pick up on or see a relation to the idea that we are not really selling jobs?. The 'selling benefits' or ourselves over competiton is the end game. I don't want to sell a job. I want callers that are already sold on getting job done and have some decent amount of prior knowledge on what things cost if that not too much to ask please..haha.

Hey Ken do you happen to know of or heard of this sales guru guy that goes around on talk radio explaining in depth the conflicted idea that you can't really 'sell' an item.? I am a bit uncomposed in being able to explain it so therefore I could use it...maybe shoot the guys name out if you ever run up on it.