John T

Do you believe in Powerwashing Organizations

Do You Believe in Powerwashing Organizations  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Believe in Powerwashing Organizations

• Yes
    • No

Question

There are plenty of Industry related Organizations out there such as the PWNA,*****,WRAPI,IWCA,BOMA,IKECA etc, etc, etc. None of them is the topic here and please don't use any of the above as to what you see what some of the problems are. This is a true Virgin post that uses no other org's as examples. Answer as if this was the pontential to be the very first org. on record.

Here are a couple of questions that I'm just wondering how others feel.

1-Do you believe in organizations in this industry or do you think Bulletin boards are enough? If your answer is no about orgs then stop here.

2-If you believe in Organizations what would you supposed would be a fair price to be a member?

3- Should there be different price structures for its members such as a distributer compared to a contractor?

4-Should the Org. be a non profit or profit org?

5-Should the org. allow all types of members such as contractors,Manufacturers and Distributers to have a chance to be the president?

6-Should the org. look to do certification classes that are tied into the org.?

7-Should the org. be an internet driven org. on top of the basic way org's are ran thru advertising, phone calls etc.?

8-Should the org. only be a state size org., Nation wide org. or shoot for the moon a world wide org.

9-Should the org. promote all other orgs that relate to this industry and NOT be selective as to who they want. Anotherwords be fair to all.

10-Should this Org. have a yearly convention or maybe a few smaller conventions during the year such as Roundtables be classified as mini conventions?

11-Should this org. be a super creative org on top of being just business, business and more business. Example maybe every other year or every third year the org. can put together a trip for its members to lets say Cancun where if they can get enough people involved there would be a tremendous group rate discount? (I like this idea...and I never heard this expressed anywhere).

12- Should the org. look to set aside funds to help some powerwashers in need or maybe build up a kitty to support some relief causes such as donating money to some charities that we all vote on.

13-Should this org. look to be a non profit org. where the BOD's can be paid for there services(plenty of non profit orgs have this) so this way we can shoot for grants and also make the Board of Director positions very competitive where many many members will want to run for these positions(Face it volunteering is a noble thing to do but to get an org. to move along at a lightning pace you want hungy people to be put in place to make this happen).

14-Do you want this org. to be the org. that wishes all other org.s to do well and to never point fingers as to whats wrong with some other orgs. Another words be the voice of the industry in always a positive manner(Ethics) and let other org's deal with there own problems but we can except them to be members of our org. which would be a non bias org.

15- Since there are so many other org's do we need anymore??

22 answers to this question

Good thread John you should make it a poll??

When it comes to wood restoration i think the bbs are enough to get the knowledge of the chems/stains and the process.It just takes time and experience to master wood restoration cause it's not that hard.

OK I'll answer first.

There are plenty of Industry related Organizations out there such as the PWNA,*****,WRAPI,IWCA,BOMA,IKEA etc, etc, etc. None of them is the topic here and please don't use any of the above as to what you see what some of the problems are. This is a true Virgin post that uses no other org's as examples. Answer as if this was the pontential to be the very first org. on record.

1-Do you believe in organizations in this industry or do you think Bulletin boards are enough? If your answer is no about orgs then stop here. Yes

2-If you believe in Organizations what would you supposed would be a fair price to be a member?Since it would be a new org. I would start it at $100/member. Remember this is a write off.

3- Should there be different price structures for its members such as a distributer compared to a contractor?Yes only because Distributors stand to make a good amount of money off the org. members if they market themselves correctly. I would start them at around $200

4-Should the Org. be a non profit or profit org? Not for profit. You want to have the potential to get Gov't grants and sponsor ship money and the best way to do this is thru a non profit org.

5-Should the org. allow all types of members such as contractors,Manufacturers and Distributers to have a chance to be the president?Yes. Everybody should have a chance to rise to the top. You have to put in rules in play here where Distributors can serve a term as a president but never consectively where contractors can. This may seem unfair but it keeps this as about as honest as possible. If a Contractor happens to also be a distributor then he to can only serve on term and not consective. They can all run again on every third term.

6-Should the org. look to do certification classes that are tied into the org.?Yes. You want to do this and you can either A-contract and outside company to do this, B-Put these classes out to Bid C-Have the org. do the classes themselves but make sure all instructors are compensated accordingly

7-Should the org. be an internet driven org. on top of the basic way org's are ran thru advertising, phone calls etc.?Yes!! This is Key. The internet is the way of the world now and this org. should be driven by this with its own internet police squad monitoring this.

8-Should the org. only be a state size org., Nation wide org. or shoot for the moon a world wide org. Worldwide...end of story. Make the certification classes internet capable since this is an internet ran org.

9-Should the org. promote all other orgs that relate to this industry and NOT be selective as to who they want. Anotherwords be fair to all.Yes. Don't get into the pissing matches between other org's. Always stay NEUTRAL. We are uniters and never dividers. You may not like another org. but this org. will not tolerate negative behavior towards others. Another job for the org. police squad to handle on a person to person bases.

10-Should this Org. have a yearly convention or maybe a few smaller conventions during the year such as Roundtables be classified as mini conventions?For the first few years this may be the way to go because its so cost effective. The goal would be to have an annual Convention but maybe that is not needed as much anymore. Creative people needed here for this one to be answered.

11-Should this org. be a super creative org on top of being just business, business and more business. Example maybe every other year or every third year the org. can put together a trip for its members to lets say Cancun where if they can get enough people involved there would be a tremendous group rate discount? (I like this idea...and I never heard this expressed anywhere).Definite YES!! Maybe skip on the Conventions and keep the roundtables as the mini conventions. A trip like this can be the glue that keeps all wanting to be connected. I love this idea. Sitting at a tropical Island with the sun setting enjoying a tropical drink with people who have the same interest and struggles that I have and to just let it all drain away and to rejuvinate the mind. If this was ever to come to Fruition invites to different org's should be given.

12- Should the org. look to set aside funds to help some powerwashers in need or maybe build up a kitty to support some relief causes such as donating money to some charities that we all vote on.Yes. There could be a committee assigned to this that at the end of the year they can deside a few places where we can donate some money and put it out to our members for vote..This can be called "The Give Back " committee. Be thankfull and help the less fortunate....always!!

13-Should this org. look to be a non profit org. where the BOD's can be paid for there services(plenty of non profit orgs have this) so this way we can shoot for grants and also make the Board of Director positions very competitive where many many members will want to run for these positions(Face it volunteering is a noble thing to do but to get an org. to move along at a lightning pace you want hungy people to be put in place to make this happen).Yes. If it can be done legally you want people in place to do the best job and money as we all know is probably the greatest motivator

14-Do you want this org. to be the org. that wishes all other org.s to do well and to never point fingers as to whats wrong with some other orgs. Another words be the voice of the industry in always a positive manner(Ethics) and let other org's deal with there own problems but we can except them to be members of our org. which would be a non bias org.Yes. Be fair to all in this industry besides whatever internal problems they may be having. Do not take sides and let them deal with there own issues. We would look only to unite and to move forward.

This is the mystery. Do we need anymore org's? Well how many org's are predominately internet driven?? Not to many from what I can tell.

Good thread John you should make it a poll??

When it comes to wood restoration i think the bbs are enough to get the knowledge of the chems/stains and the process.It just takes time and experience to master wood restoration cause it's not that hard.

oops shane beat me to the answer. Can some one make this a pole..I don't know how to do that.

There are plenty of Industry related Organizations out there such as the PWNA,*****,WRAPI,IWCA,BOMA,IKECA etc, etc, etc. None of them is the topic here and please don't use any of the above as to what you see what some of the problems are. This is a true Virgin post that uses no other org's as examples. Answer as if this was the pontential to be the very first org. on record.

1-Do you believe in organizations in this industry or do you think Bulletin boards are enough? If your answer is no about orgs then stop here.

yes

2-If you believe in Organizations what would you supposed would be a fair price to be a member?

Price should equal value received. Also, there should be restrictions to membership and a system for handling complaints against members. If a member isn't worthy, out the door buddy.

3- Should there be different price structures for its members such as a distributer compared to a contractor?

yes

Non-profit that is run like a for profit biz. Just as we strive to do our work better in order to be profitable, so should the Org. Profit should motivate to be the best.

5-Should the org. allow all types of members such as contractors,Manufacturers and Distributers to have a chance to be the president?

May the BEST Man/Woman be president.

Yes. However, this should be a part of the membership fee. And it should be difficult to obtain. The training or certification standards should be set by a board of contractors with no ties to any products or distributers. True methods that work no matter the tool or product you use. Methods that are in the contractors best interest and not a distributor or Product maker.

7-Should the org. be an internet driven org. on top of the basic way org's are ran thru advertising, phone calls etc.?

Yes, It should have an EXTREME internet presence. When a consumer searches the internet, This ORG. should be in thier face saying " Do business with a member" When a contractor is searching the internet, this ORG should be there with "Grow your biz, Join Today"

8-Should the org. only be a state size org., Nation wide org. or shoot for the moon a world wide org.

9-Should the org. promote all other orgs that relate to this industry and NOT be selective as to who they want. Anotherwords be fair to all.

10-Should this Org. have a yearly convention or maybe a few smaller conventions during the year such as Roundtables be classified as mini conventions?

Should be doing smaller "Awareness building" type get togethers. Perhaps teaming with its members in an area to do an event that helps to promote the org and the local members to the public. This would be more valuable to a member.

11-Should this org. be a super creative org on top of being just business, business and more business. Example maybe every other year or every third year the org. can put together a trip for its members to lets say Cancun where if they can get enough people involved there would be a tremendous group rate discount? (I like this idea...and I never heard this expressed anywhere).

12- Should the org. look to set aside funds to help some powerwashers in need or maybe build up a kitty to support some relief causes such as donating money to some charities that we all vote on.

Yes.... It needs to be well thought out.

13-Should this org. look to be a non profit org. where the BOD's can be paid for there services(plenty of non profit orgs have this) so this way we can shoot for grants and also make the Board of Director positions very competitive where many many members will want to run for these positions(Face it volunteering is a noble thing to do but to get an org. to move along at a lightning pace you want hungy people to be put in place to make this happen).

Yes, pay them. However, there needs to be restrictions on WHO is allowed to hold a BOD position. Very borderline ethics are in play when a distributor or Manufacturer is in a decision making position. To be fair here, Contractors that compete nationally wouldn't be looked at fairly in a BOD position either.

14-Do you want this org. to be the org. that wishes all other org.s to do well and to never point fingers as to whats wrong with some other orgs. Another words be the voice of the industry in always a positive manner(Ethics) and let other org's deal with there own problems but we can except them to be members of our org. which would be a non bias org.

This is a No-Brainer

Always room for an ORG that Actually delivers a VALUE to its members.

Always room for an ORG that Actually delivers a VALUE to its members.

The only comment I will make on this at this time is the value should be delivered EQUALLY to ALL members - little ones, big ones & board members alike.

Celeste

I do from the position of gaining a voice in light of government regulation. An org can do things that lesser numerated and organized options can. They carry the weight of being legitimate in the eyes of legislators. The strength of its membership can be a persuasive factor in this matter.

That is a subjective question and one in which is much the same as what a company should charge for its services over another. I think the price should be relevant to the budget aims and functions aggregate of the membership. I have seen prices of various orgs ranging from $99.00/yr up to $25,000/yr with tier pricing for level of membership respective of benefits and tenure.

Yes. The structure should also to encourage long term involvement. An org has no stature if it cannot retain membership.

There are both types and each serves a purpose. For those who would make a career out of it or serve an industry - profit. For those that have charitable aims and support causes - non-profit.

Each has a potential. The backgrounds of each should be considered for such a position and not necessarily the backgrounds that are relative to the org. Many people come from other experience and have much to offer. The diversity of eligibility should not be the question, but the qualifications should.

Each org has had as a part of its goals, to set up standards for recognition and excellence. This is a common practice and it is part of the benefit of being a member, being vested and active.

The technology is available for all and it is up to the org to evolve with it or be left behind without it. The internet offers lower cost forms of communication and advertising with far more efficiency and speed. The regular mailers should not be overlooked and they should also serve as advertisements.

This is contingent upon the reach and feasibility of its focus. Much of what we here on TGS know now is that the market is spreading into other nations. We have people from the United Kingdom, Australia, South America, Central America, Canada, India and Africa as members who are in this type of service.

An org should concentrate on its goals in favor of the membership first and foremost. That's the whole reason for an org in the first place...strength in numbers. There are other relative organizations whose focus may overlap or parallel another's but any alliances should be balloted from the membership first. It is in their best interest and out of respect for their involvement to find out what the majority want to do in light of possibly creating a stronger competition in the process.

Annual conventions in so much are common place for many orgs who are trying to keep up with advances of the focus relative to the org. Poll the members to see what their needs and capabilities are. Some national orgs have local chapters i.e. Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanis, Moose lodge, Elks, Knights of Columbus, Lions, Optimists club, Issac Walton League, Rotary club...etc. These are so large that they break off into smaller units to have meetings discussing items of local importance to be taken up with the main unit by the leaders of the smaller ones.

In the case of pw'ing, there may be room for perhaps 4 regional chapters meeting quarterly.

How about creating a member drive to raise money to go towards this fund? Non-profit orgs can have fund raisers and I have been witness to an org that did such a thing and went on a nice cruise. They got V.I.P. seating and benefits in addition to being able to have meetings on board. The funds raised helped all to be able to take this trip with the exception of travel expenses for free. Granted, their drive was in the form of sales goals. But how can that be translated into this field will take some creative thinking.

Members work hard and look for something in the org to be proud of and share with others. This kind of benefit would be a strong attractor but should not be the reason to join and stay. The org should remain steadfast to the ideals on which it was founded otherwise it becomes convoluted. How can it benefit it's members, bod included?

This is called a benefit of membership and encourages membership continuance. YES! Setting up a program for the aid and relief for disaster is a good start, but other reasons for continued membership should be sought.

We became members of an org because it (the org) kept me in the loop regarding EPA and CWA regulations and the possible impositions it would make could threaten our business. The orgs design was to provide a voice of the contractor to the legislators and help to keep them from putting us out of business. That was the power of it. We are waiting in hopes that it will return to its focus and begin serving the membership in its activities.

The benefits of membership must balance the factor of compensation of the bod members. I get your point and agree that there has been much time given that cannot be recouped. I don't think this industry could support such an org due to the current divisiveness among the fields unless the org itself can find a way to unite them.

Again, it should be concentrating on the goals in favor of the membership it has first. Professional courtesy should always be extended but in the same note, one should not turn away from the voices that query of it. These are opportunities to open doors and gain trust and support. This leads to credibility and stature. Other orgs have to make their way but in cases of mutual cooperation, why not take a look at the way others work and the membership willing...form a co-op. Pointing fingers as you put it is malarkey. Well wishing and criticism go hand in hand because either is input/feedback/communication. Good or bad, it is an opportunity to grow if used constructively. What is the adage?...A customer complaint is an opportunity to win them over.

New orgs are being formed each year as innovation and technology creates the need. I think in this field we have what we need but are looking for it to serve that need. Unilateral Membership support.

I want to thank you for taking the time to create this questionnaire as it shows you care about things and are reaching out for help to initiate change. The membership (past, present and future) depends on this type of outreach and in order to be involved cannot do so with out it.

Rod!~

As a disclaimer, I voted yes on the poll, but, I have never been a member of a pressure washign organization. There are a couple of other organizations that I am a member of, but they bring actual value to my business.

I do think that there is a place for organizations. The problem is seeing how some have been co-opted for personal gain, and yet claim nonprofit status, or given unequal status to members, of the same type. I also, as an intereseted onlooker have watched some organizations self destruct, due to the controlling and greedy desires of SOME of the leaders. For what it is worth, I am no talking about just one organization. This is a common occurrence when any organization, be it, professional, church, or a business operation starts to be moderately successful.

There is no "fair" price. It is a value proposition to me. If I can see that the organization is more into promoting the organiztion members than being in existence, and that organization is also having a positive effect in the industry, then it has a membership value. If it is just a basic what is it worth, I cannot answer that, without looking at all the parameters.

There could be. In our industry, it would probably work out for the best. There are a variety of reasons, but part of this is a potential for the individual members to profit from the Org. Many very successful organizations have a multi tiered membership fee structure and they make them work.

This all depends. If it is clearly defined as a for profit organization, then I am all for it.

Absolutely. The reason that their are people from different disciplines of the industry is because they all bring something different to the table. I am certain that even the biggest manufacturer can learn somethig from the smallest contractor, and the biggest contractor can learn something from the smallest contractor, as well.

Any good organization does, and the teachers should be compensated. The organization does need to make a profit from these classes and not just be an umbrella for an anointed few to make a profit. Anything that is done under the auspices of the organization needs to compensate the organization, in one way or another.

The organiztion should use any means of communication available to it to disperse information.

If you are going to do it, do it right and go for the maximum effect. Typically, most organizations are local or national, but I think that it woudl be wise to have international memberships available.

9-Should the org. promote all other orgs that relate to this industry and NOT be selective as to who they want. Another words be fair to all.

If it is an industry organization, then any in that industry should be allowed to join. Some organizations do have an experience limit, meaning you have to have been involved in an industry for a certain amount of time before you can be a member. Also, if a person is a member of an organization as a business, or what ever, I think that it should be verified that thye are compliant with all local laws regarding licensing, carry insurance (especially if there is a certification process) and are actually a professional in their field.

Yes, at least yearly, and possibly local conventions as well, as the organization becomes more successful

Years ago, the PWNA sponsored a cruise. Seems like a novel idea. I do think that if something like this is done, that it needs to be coupled with the primary purpose of the organization and organization business has to be accomplished. Things such as members meetings, training and other things that are done in the normal course of an organizational meeting need to happen for a variety of reasons, a lot of them tax related.

I may be a bit of a naysayer on this. I say no. There are too many chances for abuse, and too many local groups that are willing, able, and have procedures set up to accomlish this sort of help. For what it is worth, I am significantly involved in this process through my church, and have seen these things happen on a frequent basis.

I am not opposed to the BOD being paid. There would need to be another revenue stream than membership dues, though, and there would be some accountability as well to the membership. All in all, not a bad idea.

Absolutely. There is too much room for success in this world to wish ill on another group or person

There are a lot of organizations out there, and just like BBS's, they each have their own flavor. There is probably at least one organiztion that everyone would be comfortable in, and that is a good thing. They also can target a speicifc area of an industry. Deck restoration is not flat work is not fleetwashing is not hood cleaning. Organizations have a habit of adopting the personality and interests of their leadership. So a specialized organization MIGHT be more successful, unless it is somethign so diverse, such as ***** that it covers all facets of a type of industry.[/quote]

All great answers and some real valid points. How about some more thoughts from some others even the ones who don't believe in the Organization mentality.

Remember this is just a post to expressed idea's and voice opinions. This is not a post to call out other org's by name and saying what they think is wrong with them. This is only a post on what you believe in and what you would like an org. to do if you believe in them.

Any more thoughts on this??

The only comment I will make on this at this time is the value should be delivered EQUALLY to ALL members - little ones, big ones & board members alike.

Celeste

Yes all members should be treated as equals. Once you stop doing that then the balances tips and out of wack everything starts to get. You could be a huge company with 50 employee's or just a start up company where your about to do your first job. IF your a member you are treated the same. If one day you aspire to be a Board of director you shall always treat all members the same and if someone is not doing that then there should be a committee that looks into it...BUT..with a capital B..every member has the right to defend themselves and it would be like the law of the land...there all innocent until proven guilty.

One other thought..ALL VOTES COUNT>>EQUALLY!! In case of a tie then and only then you can implement it where the President can break the tie(This is what my Union does). There is no executive crew who's votes out weigh any other members. This has to be the ultimate communicative type org. where there are no tips in power. This puts the onus on the each and every member to stay abreast because if they don't vote then that can make a huge difference as the same as them voting. This make it where all Votes count.

There really should be a "Yes, but" button. I think PWNA had an opportunity, at one time, to really bring a lot of people into the "fold", but chose to run us off. Not sure why, I assume there must be $$ involved.

Even now, if there were to be a coup at PWNA, I think many of us (at $100 for a sole proprietor) would join.

There really should be a "Yes, but" button. I think PWNA had an opportunity, at one time, to really bring a lot of people into the "fold", but chose to run us off. Not sure why, I assume there must be $$ involved.

Even now, if there were to be a coup at PWNA, I think many of us (at $100 for a sole proprietor) would join.

No this has nothing to do with the PWNA. They took a different direction that maybe be very successful if all there plans work out. Alot of Org's probaby most org's are not internet driven. I'm really talking about an org. that would be based on there success coming from the internet first. It would be a scaled down org. with trememdous potential of growth. Actually it just brainstorming to see what the smaller guys like myself would benefit from the most.

The PWM is not an organization; it is a group of pressure washing professionals that share the same passion for the pressure cleaning industry. As fellow pressure cleaners we see the need to help each other excel in the industry be it with advice, education or just help each other out. If you share these same values you are a part of us also!

PWM 4 LIFE!

What I'm aiming at is like having a bulletin board be an online organization. yes I know you get this free but if you where to make it where it cost money and maybe those other numbers I said where way to high, you could build it like an org. but its internet driven. Very complicated to make this ever work but its just an idea that I put out there. Money makes things happen but when you get something for free its a tough sale to make people pay..unless you can prove to them that the return value is worth it.

I remember the Better Business Bureau advertising like crazy when I was a kid. A new org has to have a sound written business plan and a ton of capital behind it to market itself. When someone has a logo that gets as much respect and attention as the BBB logo does, I'll join at $395/yr.