Sign in to follow this  
wesley

Start Time?

Question

How has this cold weather affected everyone's start time? We have had to back up our startime time to 9:00 am (we usually start at 6:30 or earlier). I hate this time of year and I feel for you guys up North.

14 answers to this question

Winter has arrived here in Philly. I have a housewash and deck strip I have to get to ASAP and its been no higher than 35 degrees and doesn't look like its gonna break anytime soon. I'm dreading it as it has to be done before an open house in two weeks.

So far we are still starting at 6:30 - 7:00, but we have slowed quite a bit. One week we'll be real busy the the next only a few days of work. Its been cold a few day real cold. They are actually calling for some sleet Thursday, we will be cleaning a parking deck these next two days. Brrrrrrrrrr

Makes living in Florida look really attractive.

This is my first winter with full time pressure washing. In the past I was able to schedule work on the warm days, and clean windows or something else on the colder days. Now I'm forced to put the pressure washing off until a warmer night, but nothings above freezing this week. I hope next week is warmer - i'll be busy. At what tempature would one not want to pressure wash a busy entrance way? What does everybody else do?

Wesley.

11a to 5p these days. It sure ain't optimal, but I'm 'eating when it's served' as they say. The windchill is the kicker up here. I'm always on Weather Channel's hourly weather graph that shows windchill and hourly temps for the following days. I'll plan on opening up the trailer about half hour prior to 40 degrees. If I was housewashing I'd bone up and get it done at 35, not 40. I washed a house last week at 40 air temp with 15 degree wind chill...waaaaay too cold. I was essentially making artificial snow!

Start times remain the same. 6:30a coffee in the office...never a shortage of office time, regardless of temps. Hope all's well in GA, Wesley.

cheers,

/neil

Hey Neil, I just wanted to tell you keep turning out the awesome work. I love looking at your before and afters, keep it up! Good luck to you and have a great 07.

At what tempature would one not want to pressure wash a busy entrance way? What does everybody else do?

Micah Kommers

We Wash Concrete

Hot Water Pressure Washing

Greenville, SC

Micah, we work nights often doing our commercial accounts and when you start throwing ice its time to head back home or to the hotel. Blow out your pump and your lines with air and try it again the next night. If you create a hazard (ice) and someone slips and falls you better get ready to bend over, this is from Mr. Attorney.

I don't wanna get anywhere close to blowing ice - if it's close to freezing I've just been rescheduleing. I just don't want to be not working when I could be working. As far as blowing out your rig on the road, do you carry a compressor or would a gas stations 75 cent machine do fine?

We will be on the road for commercial accounts by 6:30 this time of year.This week has been brutal with temps in the upper 20's that early.Usually bythetime we reach the job site the temps have mad eit over 32.

I leave the anti freeze in the machine and lines until we get on the job site to keep anything from freezing.

Last Saturday night I got tied up doing something so I didn't get to blow the water out of my rig until about midnight. The water had not sat on the asphalt driveway for 10 minutes until it was frozen. I have never seen water freeze that quickly - but that may be because I've never had to be outside in the freezing wind at midnight with water before. I can't wait for Spring!

As far as blowing out your rig on the road, do you carry a compressor or would a gas stations 75 cent machine do fine?

Micah Kommers

Micah, we go to gas stations with truck stops. Free air around back and more pressure than those 75 cent machines.

We have had our share of cold weather lately.We do 80% of our clients at night.I think we had it down in the low 30's with a 15 to 20 mile an hour wind.

Thats cold for florida, i know that you guy's up north have it bad and i dont miss it, the best thing about florida is that these cold spurts only last a few days, then back to sunny and warm..

Temperature here was 2 with windchill -10, it has now warmed up to 12 and windchill is 0.

....I woke up at 11:15am today Wesley, if that helps you at all:) Too cold to do anything....and then my water was frozen up (I left my garage doors open like a moron).