Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

How do you like your Turkey?

Do you fry, roast, or smoke your Thanksgiving turkey?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fry, roast, or smoke your Thanksgiving turkey?

• Fry it! Don't knock it till you try it!
    • You kidding? We roast it!
    • Smoke it! Love that smokey flavor!

Question

It's that time of year again folks. It's turkey time. Over the past few years we have seen a number of stores begin to offer turkey fryers. Our family has been frying turkey for a long time. I was wondering who else has made the switch from oven roasting to deep frying?

Never heard of it? As I understand it, it began as a Cajun tradition in Louisianna. (according to Dad) Turkeys are fried in peanut oil. In many cases they are infused with a marianade, although it is not required. I can tell you I have found first hand the flavor is better and the bird is juicier, and since you fry them at a high temp, they are not the slightest bit greasy...

Fry or roast? Don't forget to VOTE.... Enjoy!

Beth;)

89 answers to this question

Turkey, are you kidding!

Not that found of it, a bit of dark meat but the stuffing is where the flavor is at.

HAM is what I like, and it has to be moist and not injected with water.

Not easy to find anymore, most hams sold have been filled with water, read the label and you will see, broth injected or some other word.

Even better is the Hawaiin Kalua pig!

A good Kalua pig is very moist. YUMMY YUM.

Jon

Somewhat similar to John Maddens "Tur-Duc-Ken", we had a "Tur-Duck" a few years ago that was out of this world. The sensational tastes came from the injection and the stuffing. The secret recipe was from a Louisiana native.

We fry from time to time, depending on how many people are at hand and how large the turkey is. This year "Chef Mama" wants to bake the turkey. Will most likely fry some for new years eve.

I like turkey either way, during the holidays I like it roasted, the stuffing is my favorite part! Has to be home made stuffing though, not from a box or a bag.

I like the deep fried turkey during the summer months. I probably deep fry at least three a year for my cook outs, which I have weekly during the warm season. Everyone loves the turkey this way. Even Dad who's not a turkey fan, and prefers ham.

I agree with Beth, and was actually shocked the first time I had deep fried turkey, because it was not greasey at ALL. Just delicious!

Fry it, it is the best way if you like a moist turkey. Oil at 350 degrees and fry 3 minutes per pound. those who haven't tried a fried turkey, you will be amazed at how tender and moist it truely is.

Reed

I am not a stuffing fan, but do like all the othere fixin's

The last couple years we have roasted on the Weber (make sure you have a full tank of gas). It takes about the same amount of time as the oven but I think it has a better taste and is juicer. The rub is the key. We get ours at a local meat market.

We have been frying turkey's here in South Louisiana for years. First, we inject it w/ the Cajun Injector (a big horse size syringe) w/ either Cajun Injector Marinade or your own marinade. For those of you that have not tried Cajun Injector Marinade's (they have about 5 flavors), you have to get some. It's made by a guy named Reese Williams from Clinton, LA. This stuff has made this guy filthy RICH.....it's that good. If my memory serves me right, Cajun Injector was the largest selling item in history on the QVC Shopping Channel.

I don't know if John Madden claims to be the originator of the Tur-Duk-En, But Chef Paul Prudohme was the originator of it I think. For those of you that have never had one, you don't know what you are missing. I have 2 in the freezer right now, that I picked up today from Hebert's (A-Bear for you non cajun speaking) Meat Market in Maurice, LA. I think they have a website & I know they ship overnight (not cheap). A Tur-Duk-En is a de-boned turkey, stuffed w/ duck & chicken. They make several types. I bought one w/ shrimp & another w/ crawfish............yum yum

fried turkey is the best.

Here's a trick for you if you fry one.

Get a pumpkin. Hollow it out. Make and bake your stuffing in it.

It stay's nice and moist. You cant stuff a friying turkey.

Also use tap water to first fill the cold pot, then put the turkey in it and cover the bird with water. Then then remove the bird and mark the water line. Then dump the water and dry the pot.

This way you know how muck oil to heat up. If you use too much it will spill, not enuff you'll need to add more and it take's longer to heat up again.

gooble gooble

We're gonna have both this Thanksgiving. The wife is gonna bake one, stuffed with her famous sausage and oyster dressing, and the son-in-law is gonna fry one. darn....gettin hungry already...Happy Thanksgiving to all.......Jon cooked my last pig in Oct for the Fleet Reserve Association. Was great....Last one until next year

I didn't think to add smoking to the poll. I have gone back and added it. SO those of you who prefer a smoked bird havea place to vote.

If you have not voted on this fun holiday poll, please join in. :groovy3:

Beth & Rod

Can't vote since we're having one fried and one baked this year. But I'm I'd vote all the above I've done em all at one time or the other. Hard to chose which is best, they all have pluses

Oh, I forgot about smoking turkeys! I love that too. hahaha. I'm an outdoor cooking fool. It's my favorite place to cook.

First time I did smoke a turkey though, boy did I get teased about the skin. It's all black and tough and rough and my husband wanted to resole his work boots with it! ;)

Now smoked turkey, that I do all the time in my smoker. Will smoke just about anything. I use pecan, apple, mesquite, hickory primarily.

Jon,

don't forget about the homemade Turkey stew/soup.

Reed

Off to get bambi's dad or mom again.

Normally we fry ours but this year we are going to roast it for several reasons:

makes the house smell wonderful

adds flavor to the stuffing

gravy...can't be beat due to pan drippings

But that fried bird is still my favorite because it's sooooo moist. May have to fry one soon...

The only problem I have with frying em' is what to do with the oil after you cook em'

What does everyone else do with it?

I suppose we could ship it to Alan and have him run it thru his recovery/filter setup.

The oil is pretty much sterile, so bottle it up and keep it (or leave it in the frying container and cap it). Use it to make buffalo wings for New Years or french fries. And even if it become contaminated, getting it to the point at which it will fry something will kill anything in it.

If its not burnt and you didn't cook alot of turkeys then you can strain it and reuse it. I just bought a big funnel at Lowes the kind you use to fill tractors and such. It has a screen in the neck, I pour it back in the container it came from its clean and I keep it for the next time I need it.