Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

Grease ridden deck

Question

I just aquired this customer and they have a major problem (or so it seems to me) with grease all over what could be a nice deck. Now, I'm a greaser by heart so removing that is no problem for me, but I don't want to mess up the deck in the meantime. She has asked me to pw the entire deck and I've read from you pros enough to know that I don't use much pressure and NO hot water on this baby.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.... Oh yeah, don't have time to order those fancy wood chems you guys use, I planned on mixing up a mild caustic and foaming this bad boy down....then I brighten with ox right? or bleach?...oh wait, is it throw a little bleach in with my caustic then rinse then apply ox? man, maybe I should do some more reading....hahahah

Sheck it out mang

19 answers to this question

You will most likely not be able to get all the grease out. The wood will pull it pretty far into the substrate. Set the expectation you can lighten the stain, but not remove it.

Drop the pressure to 1000 PSI by changing tips. No hot water. Let the chems do the work, and always neutralize. I would use a wood stripper, since you need that caustic action on that grease. Sodium hydroxide based product, oxalic or citric to neutralize.If you can't get a wood stripper, you may still be ok with your plan. You very well may have to knock off some fuzzies. That's the down side to stripping in this instance.

Beth

Anthony,

I'm with Rod. NaOH will help but not completely remove heavy grease down into the wood substrate. A few treatments or a hot mix (test first) may help.

Thanks Rick and Beth...I told her not to expect too much because I was not a wood expert, but she said that was fine to just do the best I could. I did a little test spot and the grease came off pretty good, but I don't think it's gonna come out all that pretty like the work you all do....

We'll see, I'll talk pics for sure. :)

I'z hoping you wouldn't look in the wood section Matt....hahahahah...I was trying to hide it hear to stay away from the insults :D Just kiddin- I wouldn't even attempt this if it wasn't a sweet old lady that owned this and couldn't find anybody else to do it. Oh well, it will be worth it just for the foam pics, maybe we can sell some more Grease Police foamer 5000s :)

Yikes they sure must do a lot of frying huh!

Ant,You can do it man just let the chems dwell and do you make your own caustics? I really liked Bob's F-18 for cleaning wood and for a hotter mix i'll just add some S/H flakes to boost it.

Gee, that is a great place for a fan. Keep the fan clean, clean the deck several times and then it may turn out well. Fuzzies is the main problem with to hot of a mix, or hot water, but it may give some traction should they not keep the system clean.

Matt,

Is that the avatar that I think it is?

Anthony -

What are you hood guys using for foamers now-a-days?? I've always wanted to try one on certain strip jobs to see if the "cling" would help :)

Not to mention it would give you more control as to where the caustics are going.

Video clip was pretty cool icon6.gif

Greg...we use the GP Foamer 5000 I posted a pic of it earlier in the thread :)

and yes it definetly helps with the dwell time..15-20 is pretty normal for the foam to do it's thang....

Oops, it was a different thread that I put the picture on...but here it is.

7042d1173938046-making-x-jet-easier-use-tgp-eyes-only.gif