Sign in to follow this  
hack

7-25 year guarantee

Question

Anybody ever heard of Sealwize or Sealmax or Sealmaster?? From what I gather the pretty much petrify(sp?) the wood. Is that right or am I missing something. We went to the home show and one of them said a 7 year guarantee and one other I heard said like 25 years. Anybody????

36 answers to this question

These type of products soak deep into the wood and the silica petrify the interior of the wood. The silicas will turn the wood's interior cell into glass(no it will not shatter). The product forms no visible film or non film-forming coating and can be coated with with either an oil base or water based product with no problems, at least in our experience with applying TWP over some. The whole point to these products is to stop internal rot and also stabilize the wood. Does it work? I really have no idea, but I do know that you will need to clean and stain the deck with a tinted stain just as if the product is on there or not. The product does not need to be stripped since the wood is still porous and seems like it is not even there.

The problem is not with theses Silica/Silicon type products but with the companies that market these products. They spend a ton of money marketing a product that really was made for concrete. There isn't alot of data supporting their claims that it will stop wood from rotting for 25 years. It may do that, but the SealMaxx companies of the world try to promote a 25 year end all solution to your wood problems. Obviously this is an impossibility.

We carry a version of these products. We brought it on for a couple of reasons:

1. We have/had a company called SuperSeal that was a friend of Sealmaxx's founder start up in Michigan a few years ago. They would charge upwards of $5 per foot and basically lied to HO about the product. We brought it on as an option for my clients since I advertised against them on the radio. Funny how it worked out. They either stopped advertising or went out of business this year. Since they were gone I have had no one request it this year.

2. The product actually does petrify the wood. For how long I do not know, but I do believe there is advantages to this in certain cases but not all.

CretoWood Permanent Wood Sealer

Here is a picture of a SuperSeal's deck that I took a picture of a few years ago. They applied the Seal-It out of Canada. This picture was taken 1 year after they did the work. We came in and stripped the gray/dirt and applied TWP 3 years ago. The gentleman called this year to schedule for next spring. He said the TWP still looked great and had not peeled or lifted at all.

post-948-137772185969_thumb.jpg

Scott , I have read alot this year about this. And a lumber company selling this such service as a pre sealer like Pressure Treated Pine and saying it can be treated with an oil. I have not come up against it yet in the east.

Scott , I have read alot this year about this. And a lumber company selling this such service as a pre sealer like Pressure Treated Pine and saying it can be treated with an oil. I have not come up against it yet in the east.

That's a good way to put it. It will act as a pre-sealer application for your wood prior to staining. It is actually very easy to apply. You can apply right after washing while the wood is still wet. It will change the pH balance so you should neutralize after a 30 minute period. Do not get it on aluminum, fiberglass or any type of glass! It will etch these type of surfaces.

I've actually been working with samples of the sealer for last the few months. I did up 10 different samples in total... 5 with the sealit applied to them THEN stained several days later. The other 5 were just stained with the stain & sealer. I applied Ready Seal, Wolman F & P, Wolman Raincoat WB, TWP 101 Cedar to 4 and left the last clear. We'll see what they look like in the spring.

Sealit claims the product will extend up to 300% longer than without the preseal. Weather and sun will tell the tale :)

I like the idea if it's marketed correctly and yes it's easy to put down. I see it being beneficial to homeowners and an additional measure to protecting their wood but in no way could you market it for the asthetics of the product.

Fantastic Greg!.. I luv a testing attitude come full circle, can't wait to see results...

Did you happen to catch the idear I had a little bit ago about trying the concrete dyes before the silicates to do away with oil carried pigments and sealers entirely? Some are water based and some you mix with acetone. They used for polished concrete. I predict it could be wave of the future and have no doubt that mad scientists, if not industry chemists, are scheming hard behind bolted doors to come up with such a package. Hardest part likely in getting the coloring correct and ready to market rather than whether it will work. It may work so good that it gets sqwelched by manufactures for sake of conitnueing business as usual with what we got now....Is all a conspiracy man...lol..:)

I've actually been working with samples of the sealer for last the few months. I did up 10 different samples in total... 5 with the sealit applied to them THEN stained several days later. The other 5 were just stained with the stain & sealer. I applied Ready Seal, Wolman F & P, Wolman Raincoat WB, TWP 101 Cedar to 4 and left the last clear. We'll see what they look like in the spring.

Sealit claims the product will extend up to 300% longer than without the preseal. Weather and sun will tell the tale :)

I like the idea if it's marketed correctly and yes it's easy to put down. I see it being beneficial to homeowners and an additional measure to protecting their wood but in no way could you market it for the asthetics of the product.

Gregg,

It has been 2 years, what are the results of your tests? In my area we have a group advertising like crazy for the last 2 years that they can seal your deck and it will last 30 years and is the greatest thing since sliced bread. They mention it is like "petrifying" the wood. I am trying to determine if this is something I need to be putting into our business model as a customer's option! Thanks in advance!

Russ

First and foremost all surfaces need to breathe,seal it with something that can't breathe,your in trouble!

Second, there is the UV factor,is it UV resistand?

Thirt ,anything petrolium based,mold and mildew will love it,it will feed on it.

We have had good luck with oxiseal aldo no colors available yet,once the wood is weatherd for a few months, simply mist on a light coat,it will stay clean for seven years,

only drawback is the wood may lose some of it's color over the years,but it will stop it from warping,splitting and growing mold and mildew.

Thank you.

First and foremost all surfaces need to breathe,seal it with something that can't breathe,your in trouble!

Second, there is the UV factor,is it UV resistand?

Thirt ,anything petrolium based,mold and mildew will love it,it will feed on it.

We have had good luck with oxiseal aldo no colors available yet,once the wood is weatherd for a few months, simply mist on a light coat,it will stay clean for seven years,

only drawback is the wood may lose some of it's color over the years,but it will stop it from warping,splitting and growing mold and mildew.

Thank you.

Please go tp "my controls" and complete your signature line.

(second request) House rules.

First and foremost all surfaces need to breathe,seal it with something that can't breathe,your in trouble! Yes it breathes as it does not film

Second, there is the UV factor,is it UV resistand? None at all as this is the major drawback

Thirt ,anything petrolium based,mold and mildew will love it,it will feed on it. Water based sealer

It does densify the interior of the wood. The problem lies with the marketing of the SealMaxx, Sealwise, Cedarcide companies who exploit these type of products as your end to deck maintenance. If you use these products you will still need to clean and or stain the surface every couple of years if you want it to look good.