Sign in to follow this  
Freshlook

Suppliers not supplying...

Question

Ok, I'm a little aggrivated at this point to I appologize forward for any comments I might make with assumed irritability. I have ordered a product needed to finish a job that came up in an instant and even called to verify that the package would ship out first thing on monday (ordered friday), As it's now the following friday and on the website of the supplier it still says that the product is pending and not shipped. I tried calling several times and no answer. To me this is a severe strike on professionalism, as I have had to tell my customer that I can't start yet due to not having revieved the needed supplies. ""HOW DOES THIS MAKE ME LOOK""!!!!... I am at the point of canceling my order and going thru another supplier to get the desired product, however I want to ask what everyone else would do in this situation. I do realize we can't bash companies by name but for future reference I would gladly accept Private Messages regarding companies NOT to use, as if there is one thing I can't stand is PUNCTUALITY~ when serving the service industry...

16 answers to this question

Greg,

Sorry for your difficulties. We have all experienced this at one time or another, and have had some hard taught lessons.

I do not know the type of PW you do, but it really does not matter. An honest, upfront, responsible supplier or distributor is like a silent partner for your business. The good ones are there when you need them, and will let you know immediately if they are backordered and cannot fill your order pronto. It is just plain, good, honest business sense for the supplier, and means trust and future business from the contractor. Very simple, yet may be hard to find.

I PM'ed you with info on ACR Products, a company that has been my silent partner for the past 5 years. Although I am specialized in only servicing exterior wood, ACR has equipment, chemicals, parts, rentals, experience, and track record of great customer service for just about anything a pressure washer needs or does. Tom and Barbara Vogel, the owners, have actually done most PW specialties in the past, and know what it is to be a small contractor. Makes a big difference. ACR PRODUCTS

Heck is there some law stating you cant say who the company is. If its true that they didnt supply you properly its not slander.

Sometimes they need a little kick in the .........pants

Sorry for your hassle, it is a big PITA

JL

Well I hate to see that happen to anyone. A week seems to me to be enough time on an order that was conveyed as a rush, assuming it was in stock. We have gotten in the habit over the years of keeping certain things on hand to avoid that situation, but sometimes you just need something when you need it, you never know what opportunity will pop up and put you in that situation. It does happen. That's why they call them rush jobs.

Beth

I post and a mention of a sponsor magically gets linked within my post. Numerous times. Whats that ogden2k doing, turning TGS corporate? Nice trick, it helps to support site sponsors.

Beth posted:

A week seems to me to be enough time on an order that was conveyed as a rush, assuming it was in stock.

A week is enough time? I put a normal order in and it is there the next day. Granted, I'm only 75 miles from my supplier, but it is normal service. Check out Bob's track record at Pressure Tek as Dustin mentioned. Contractors order equipment from him and its there in a day, maybe two. Its service, the same thing we strive to give our customers.

Greg, I'm going to pick on you a bit here. I do not mean to be ugly, but I do want to be frank with to make my point clear.

You said; "To me this is a severe strike on professionalism" and I agree. About the vendor, and about *your business*. Did the vendor have a problem with their supplier? You don't know. Nor do you care. Your customer feels exactly the same. All they see is that you made a comittment that you cannot keep. Keep stock on hand and if neccessary, make another order with another vendor. If you do not have free cash for one extra jobs supplies, you need to examine your cash flow and business model. If you are willing to break your comittments to a customer over a few extra bucks, you need to examine your future in a service business.

Bottom line, When you make your problems your customers problems they fell like you do now. if you want to stay in business and prosper these problems need to be your problems and not your customers'.

Greg, I'm going to pick on you a bit here. I do not mean to be ugly, but I do want to be frank with to make my point clear.

You said; "To me this is a severe strike on professionalism" and I agree. About the vendor, and about *your business*. Did the vendor have a problem with their supplier? You don't know. Nor do you care. Your customer feels exactly the same. All they see is that you made a comittment that you cannot keep. Keep stock on hand and if neccessary, make another order with another vendor. If you do not have free cash for one extra jobs supplies, you need to examine your cash flow and business model. If you are willing to break your comittments to a customer over a few extra bucks, you need to examine your future in a service business.

Bottom line, When you make your problems your customers problems they fell like you do now. if you want to stay in business and prosper these problems need to be your problems and not your customers'.

I would be a lot more forgiving if I wouldn't have actually called and they TOLD me that they were shipping it out? Now I hate assuming but wouldn't a honest buisnessman actually take that oppertunity to tell a customer it might be late instead of giving false assumptions? I know it's not the 1st time either. As thru PM's I've gotten a few people who have already assumed the supplier.

And as far as myself is concerned, Yes I do typically have more than enough supplies on hand, But every now and again things happen, such as a FULL 10 lb tub of hd-80 that WAS your RESERVE STOCK getting saturated by a helper who neglected to to ensure the lid was on and then in the south we get these fun no warning showers.. well.. needless to say it's gone, and left a really clean concrete patch where the water ran off, and when I came back to check on him I had discovered that he just poured the rest out on the concrete and I then had to rinse the holy crap out of the concrete. Needless to say he's not working anymore but that does leave me with NO supplies to go with.

I can understand your attempt to enlighten me to the other sides possible predicaments, However I am certainly not the type to get quickly irritated, or go off on a feckless rampage about a petty problem. My problem is integrity and honesty come 1st in my book. ABOVE ALL ELSE those are 2 things that everybody has and has a hard time providing.

Philip, at least he has talked to his customer about the problem,it does'nt sound like the supplier even cares enough to at least have someone available to answer calls.

The fact that you couldn't contact the company or its representative.. intolerable. I'm sure that's why you are at the point you are, Greg (frustrated and ready for blood) I totally understand. Have been in the same predicament before. It happens.

You mention that the website says "still pending". That doesn't neccessarily mean your order wasn't shipped but it would be nice to be able to contact someone and have them confirm it. Good luck with this.

I process RAD orders immediately and the warehouse ships the next day. Customers usually get 2-3 days later. That's the way you have to do business nowadays. Gone are the "allow 4-6 weeks for delivery"

I disagree. If they committed to rush it, then they committed to rush it.

He trusted their word and made a commitment to his customer. Now it is true that they both have a black eye due to this, but as a contractor we MUST be able to trust the supplier. Not answering the phone, flat out screams "I really don't care".

I don't know what your product was nor the supplier but the customer service and punctuality here is the most respected on the web. Your one source for everything pressure cleaning washer

I agree...

Everytime I ordered from PressureTek.com with the exception of once, I have received my product the next day, and have never requested RUSH. One time the address was wrong and it took three days, as the product was sitting at my local UPS office, and Bob was beside himself with sincere apology. Heck, I was excited about three days. We all make honest mistakes, but being unwilling to communicate with a customer... I would lose the trust, and would then have a difficult time ordering again.

The "Customer is always right" statement is true in the fact that the statement does not translate "right" to "correct". It means the customer is the one has the money and has the "right" to chose where they spend it.

Here's an update for anyone listening, I know ESI's bulletin has been posted on the page for 4 days or so, and I'm sure great things are going to come. However it's been over 2 weeks, been able to get ahold of somebody once, and then she told me she would have to check on it and call me right back, gave her the number, but she never did get back to me. Tried calling her back NO answer. Tried hr later NO answer. Tried next day NO answer.. Tried Today.. NO answer.. And according to the website it says that my order has reached it's final stages of processing for the past 6 days and does not allow me to cancel my order with them, or else I would.. Not pissed anymore, just ammused, It's like christmas without a date!!!! Never know when I'm going to get my present!!!

In the meantime I purchased another product and having decent results with it, ordered it last wednesday, got it last thursday with standard shipping. Gotta LOVE THAT!