Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

My first impression of WTW

Question

I stained my 460 sq. ft. 3 year old PT deck on Sunday. I used warm honey gold.

Appearance - Fantastic! My deck looks so good, I wanna eat it. The color is very rich and like a golden brown, honey tint. The wood looks very natural. I hate the way PT wood looks bare, WTW fixes that problem well. It gives it exactly what it is missing - a nice, rich appearance.

Application - It applied a lot like TWP. It is a bit "thicker" than TWP. It was very easy to apply. No back-brushing was needed after I sprayed my spindles. It did not lap on my floor either.

Method - I used an airless on my spindles and a flat 18" pad for the floor. I used a 4" pad on my handrails.

Spread rate - Last year, I used Messmer's on my deck. I used 6 gallons. This time with WTW, I used, are you ready for this? A whopping 2.5 gallons!

Time on the job - 1 hour. - By myself. (I'm a hack remember?)

Coats - 1 coat. Believe me, that's all you'll need!

Learning Curve - There is a bit of truth to this "learning curve" thing. DO NOT OVER APPLY THIS PRODUCT! It is not necessary. On flooring, spray on a light coat and back-brush with a dry pad. The floor will have plenty of stain on it. This product is so rich in solids and pigment that 1 coat is very sufficient. My deck ended up a bit tacky because I over applied the stain. I did this by dipping a flat pad in the stain and forcing it into the wood instead of spraying and back-padding. Celeste and Russell told me that some mineral spirits will solve the tacky problem.

So, was the deck wet or dry? - I'll admit, I chickened out on wetting my entire deck down before I stained it. BUT, I did soak the crap out of my stairs 1 minute before I applied WTW. My staircase is 6 steps by 10 feet wide.

I had water puddles all over my stairs when I stained them. At first, the stain turned yellow and looked wierd. At this point, I called Russell and told him what I saw. He said, "Just trust the technology." After about 10 minutes, the stain looked normal. Now, you cant tell the difference between my stairs and the rest of my deck.

Am I a WTW convert? - So far, I'm very pleased. I have high hopes for this product in my lineup this year.

64 answers to this question

Do we get pics? :)

Sounds good. I hope to try it soon too right after I try the RS.

Somebody gonna offer up a test kit and good pricing..please,pretty please..

Btw, The Penofin went yesterday real well and good with one coat also!

Yeah, I'd like to get my hands on about 6 oz. to make a sample board. I've got about dozen pickets left from an old fence that I have cleaned and neutralized, that I use to make stain samples. I made one with ESI's Timber Oil, and it looks great. Also no odor vs. Ready Seal.

It's easier to sell anything when the customer can hold a sample in their hand.

Um...Russel??? We know you're out there!!

Go Cards!

For a limited time when you order a sample, we will throw in a free scoop!

Sample kits are one of the things that we've got in the works. If you want to make it real easy on me, I'll tell you what I can do. . .

I've got about 30 little 4 oz sample bottles of Wood-Tux Warm Honey Gold left over from a round table meeting. WHG is the only color available. Some have labels and some don't. Some have stain on them all have stain in them. They would be ideal for making up sample boards. Each one should cover about 10 - 12 square feet.

Send an e-mail to: imrcc1@aol.com with Wood-Tux in the subject.

Never tell anyone I sent you a free sample.

I will forward the requests to Suzie and have them out the door within a week.

(I've got to find a suitable box for the little things)

Please limit 1 sample per contractor

Wood-Tux is not available to homeowners.

I was just kidding about the free scoop.

Okay, does anyone have any pics of this product on wood? Jarrod, how about a close up of just a few boards?

I need to show it either tomorrow or Friday afternoon if I want to sell it. If so, you can either post them here, or email them to deck_bright@charter.net.

I promise not to use them for anything but an example of the color.

I've been struggling to find something to match or compliment a log home, and I hope to start work on it Saturday AM. The customer suggested a particular latex stain which is NOT an option, based on reviews of others on this board. The home looks alot like the pic on the label of the Timber Oil. I have some Timber Oil, but I think the customer would like a slight sheen if that's what I can get with WTW in the WHG color. I can be swayed to the dark side, but I need a customer to help me along.

Larry

Can you give me an idea of what the un treated wood looks like? What type of wood? What color is the wood?

I will be messing around on the computer tonight, I can send you some pictures, if I know what you are looking for.

If you liked the color of the Timber Oil then you will find the Wood-Tux is the same color with just a little more sheen. Sounds like that is what you are after.

Russel, it's been awhile (last fall) since I was out there. That's why I'm going out there again before even starting. Just to make certain everything is as I remember it.

I remember it as about the same color as the house on the Timber Oil label. I have been playing phone tag with my customer for three days, so hopefully I can finally get in touch with her this evening. If so, I'll email her a copy of your color chart and see what she thinks. I'll have a look for myself before I do any ordering, of course.

And I don't wanna hear anything about my stupid looking tank top! It's my "doing crap around the house" shirt okay?! LOL

Hey atleast it matches the stain Jarrod i almost couldn't see you on the deck :D

Nice job :cool:

Hey atleast it matches the stain Jarrod i almost couldn't see you on the deck :D

Nice job :cool:

LOL. The best color clothes to wear while staining are red or orange.

Jarrod,

So no hvlp for you?..looks and sounds like everyone ends up using pad and airless.

Usually I do wear one. I forgot it that day. I just held my breath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMI Enterprises

Jarrod,

So no hvlp for you?..looks and sounds like everyone ends up using pad and airless.

Usually I do wear one. I forgot it that day. I just held my breath.

It's late and Jarrod's gone silly...haha...

didn't mean a respirator, was asking about your spray equipment.. :)