Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

My first impression of WTW

Question

I stained my 460 sq. ft. 3 year old PT deck on Sunday. I used warm honey gold.

Appearance - Fantastic! My deck looks so good, I wanna eat it. The color is very rich and like a golden brown, honey tint. The wood looks very natural. I hate the way PT wood looks bare, WTW fixes that problem well. It gives it exactly what it is missing - a nice, rich appearance.

Application - It applied a lot like TWP. It is a bit "thicker" than TWP. It was very easy to apply. No back-brushing was needed after I sprayed my spindles. It did not lap on my floor either.

Method - I used an airless on my spindles and a flat 18" pad for the floor. I used a 4" pad on my handrails.

Spread rate - Last year, I used Messmer's on my deck. I used 6 gallons. This time with WTW, I used, are you ready for this? A whopping 2.5 gallons!

Time on the job - 1 hour. - By myself. (I'm a hack remember?)

Coats - 1 coat. Believe me, that's all you'll need!

Learning Curve - There is a bit of truth to this "learning curve" thing. DO NOT OVER APPLY THIS PRODUCT! It is not necessary. On flooring, spray on a light coat and back-brush with a dry pad. The floor will have plenty of stain on it. This product is so rich in solids and pigment that 1 coat is very sufficient. My deck ended up a bit tacky because I over applied the stain. I did this by dipping a flat pad in the stain and forcing it into the wood instead of spraying and back-padding. Celeste and Russell told me that some mineral spirits will solve the tacky problem.

So, was the deck wet or dry? - I'll admit, I chickened out on wetting my entire deck down before I stained it. BUT, I did soak the crap out of my stairs 1 minute before I applied WTW. My staircase is 6 steps by 10 feet wide.

I had water puddles all over my stairs when I stained them. At first, the stain turned yellow and looked wierd. At this point, I called Russell and told him what I saw. He said, "Just trust the technology." After about 10 minutes, the stain looked normal. Now, you cant tell the difference between my stairs and the rest of my deck.

Am I a WTW convert? - So far, I'm very pleased. I have high hopes for this product in my lineup this year.

64 answers to this question

We have problems with pads getting stain in between the boards like on 5/4 roundover decking. Solutions? We pretty much started brushing most projects to lesson the headache and my stress :)

We have problems with pads getting stain in between the boards like on 5/4 roundover decking. Solutions? We pretty much started brushing most projects to lesson the headache and my stress :)

Spray the floor, then back-pad it.

I got the impression you were just padding the floor thats why I was asking. We used to spray floors with airless but guys with bad judgment made me go to low pressure stuff.

After i finished up that "ugly deck" w/ WTW (WHG), I finally did our 800 sq/ft deck & 2 sets of short steps. I did wet (mist) about every 10 boards prior to brushing & it went on verrrrry smooth without laps or puddles. It does NOT need more than 1 coat & looks great. yes, it will be tacky if over applied.

I also had a few short pieces of ptp 2x4's in the shed about 6 months old & painted (1 side) them as samples. You could almost attach a business card & leave it on "Mrs Jones" front door. People could then SEE the before/after & a bit more visual than a door hanger. I also keep my sample in the Jeep just in case. I have some pictures that I need to resize & will post them soon. I'm a believer in WTW & will continue to sell my customers on what a nice look it has.

post-2556-137772177945_thumb.jpg

post-2556-137772177952_thumb.jpg

Jarrod,

Are you talking about the 18" Floor and Deck Speed Mop?...The one in your photo looks different..

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

Here are some coupons for the 18" Speed Mop and Replacement Pad:

mopcoupon

mopreplacementpadcoupon

These will offer $3 off for replacement pads and $4 off for the entire speed mop kit(minus the pole). Add items to cart at regular price and during checkout you will be able to enter codes below.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or would like some pricing on other items.

Well well well, if it aint my ole buddy Scott. Good to see you finally posting here man!

This guy taught me everything I know about doing decks efficiently. If it weren't for him, I would still be using pump-up sprayers to apply my deck chems.

He sells great products that will help you all be more efficient while bringing your quality to the next level.

Well well well, if it aint my ole buddy Scott. Good to see you finally posting here man!

This guy taught me everything I know about doing decks efficiently. If it weren't for him, I would still be using pump-up sprayers to apply my deck chems.

He sells great products that will help you all be more efficient while bringing your quality to the next level.

You forced me with your picture of the Speed Mop and links to my site.

I'm on board too..I ordered the mop and two replacement pads..Are the pads lambs wool?

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

No, they are a spongy, micro fiber pad. Just like a 4" pad, but bigger. I have found lambs wool to be big stain wasters.