Sign in to follow this  
OllieOhNine

Starting Small... Looking Up

I just bought a Troy Built, 2500 PSI 2.3 GPM pw from Lowes and am wondering where to go next. Laugh all you will at my equipment but all I want to know is what I can get without investing too much up front to get the jobs done. I am not talking about going from rookie to pro, just what do I NEED?

You can get an Xjet or downstream your chemicals. Find a place with 12.5% chlorine get some apple blossom Dawn and depending on if you are xjetting or downstreaming mix it properly and start washing some houses. By a good gutter cleaner and brush & pole so you can clean the black streaks from gutters

Do not try to do concrete driveways & patios with such a small machine, it will take for ever and it will look like crap

Get the jobs and be reliable, charge the right amount of money, dont do the work cheap

Read a lot of the old posts on here and practice on a families house

I just bought a Troy Built, 2500 PSI 2.3 GPM pw from Lowes and am wondering where to go next. Laugh all you will at my equipment but all I want to know is what I can get without investing too much up front to get the jobs done. I am not talking about going from rookie to pro, just what do I NEED?

Matt, understand that no one is trying to give you a hard time but the majority of the people here make their living from washing. They have professional equipment, spend money on marketing, have the neccessary licenses and insurance and have aspirations to grow their business. I also take what I do very seriously.

Also understand that when someone comes to a board of professionals and the first words out of his mouth are basically "How do I cut corners and buy cheap equipment" we are going to have the hairs on the back of our neck bristled. Do you know why that is, Matt? Because someone willing to cut corners and "get 'er done" also does not take the time to learn how to price, how to market, and how to sell. This person is in a hurry to capture a piece of the pie many of us work hard to cultivate. This peson does not understand how much time and money it takes to operate a successful business and is often the one that canvasses the neighborhood with $99 housewash fliers.

You say you don't want to go from rookie to pro? You don't? The moment you enter the market and start asking to be paid for your service you are playing pro. My advice to you is to slow down, take a week and read as much as you can about pricing, business and marketing. Ask precise questions about what you read versus throwing out blanket questions and expect someone that has earned their stripes to hand everything to you so you can go get 'er done. The world does not work like that.

Welcome to the board, Matt.

Matt,

Not to throw gas on the fire, but Ken has some valid points. Some contractors here in certain areas really seem to get slammed by quick buck part time handymen going door to door.

Funny, I have a "broke" college kid from the University of Michigan working for me this season. Maybe you could get a job with a real, professional pressure washing company for this season and at least learn the trade from an experienced, established pro.

In '99 we started out with a couple of Excell 2500psi, 3gpm machines and they got us through the first year. Granted, we didn't have resources like TGS or other BBs with plenty of info and other willing to share or network.

We have continually reinvested in the business by adding new vehicles, machines and other equipment to bring up productivity and quality.

People used to tease me for running around with a pw'er sticking out of the trunk and a ladder strapped to the roof of my little Nissan Sentra. Some said all I needed was a propeller and it would look like an out-board motor.

The very next year we bought a truck and newer machines and everything has grown significantly since then.

Now we have reached a point of outgrowing our current location and have to make considerations in that regard soon.

Now, as far as investing ... my first one will be education. You can buy all the tools and equipment you may need but without a good foundation to work from you could cost yourself in trial and error.

I'll sit back on the rest so others can elaborate on their suggestions but I strongly suggest you get training in the field you are going to be specializing in before going much further.

Once you know what you are doing and can do it well, you can make the money fast enough to buy the extras that our community of posters here will suggest. And they in turn will help you to make even more money.

First things first, crack a book.

Rod!~

I started with that machine. I made a lot of mistakes, then I found boards like this one.

Dont price too cheap. Find out what your market will bear and charge accordingly.

You'll find out quick if you charge too cheap, you will get that reputation, and one day you will wake up and say Hey, Im not really making much money, but by then its too late to raise prices.

Matt, understand that no one is trying to give you a hard time but the majority of the people here make their living from washing. They have professional equipment, spend money on marketing, have the neccessary licenses and insurance and have aspirations to grow their business. I also take what I do very seriously.

Also understand that when someone comes to a board of professionals and the first words out of his mouth are basically "How do I cut corners and buy cheap equipment" we are going to have the hairs on the back of our neck bristled. Do you know why that is, Matt? Because someone willing to cut corners and "get 'er done" also does not take the time to learn how to price, how to market, and how to sell. This person is in a hurry to capture a piece of the pie many of us work hard to cultivate. This peson does not understand how much time and money it takes to operate a successful business and is often the one that canvasses the neighborhood with $99 housewash fliers.

You say you don't want to go from rookie to pro? You don't? The moment you enter the market and start asking to be paid for your service you are playing pro. My advice to you is to slow down, take a week and read as much as you can about pricing, business and marketing. Ask precise questions about what you read versus throwing out blanket questions and expect someone that has earned their stripes to hand everything to you so you can go get 'er done. The world does not work like that.

Welcome to the board, Matt.

Well said Ken.

I'll add...

I would have asked before buying that machine. That's one mistake we could have helped you avoid. If you haven't used it yet (or if you can find a way to do it) return it, and find a machine that will give you at least 4 GPM. You'll earn the difference in price by the time you save in you first full week of work.

What Ken said is absolutely true, and many of us started in this biz because, like yourself, we felt we could start-up for a reasonable cost. Don't make the mistake of trying to find the cheapest way to do everything though, or buy the cheapest equipment you can find. Good equipment, chems, and techniques will save you time and produce better results than your competition, and your savings will come from working faster, getting referrals, developing a good reputation, and securing repeat business. Look at this like a pro, and you will be one faster than you ever imagined. It's happened to many of us.

The most important thing you must do is sit down and think about what it is you want to do. Define it in specific terms so you don't get side tracked down the road. Set realistic goals and bench marks. If you don't hit a bench mark, set back and reevaluate as to why. Maybe you set your goals too high or bench marks too soon, or you are going about things the wrong way. Always reevaluate and adjust or learn more if necessary.

You must then educate yourself in business, marketing, powerwashing, people skills, etc. Just because you have a hammer doesn't mean you know how to use it. And just don't quit learning, you can learn something new everyday. If you find you have a question, come to this board and use the search function liberally. There are many professionals on this board who have probably experienced what ever question you may have. These are true professionals they don't mind sharing their expertise, especially if you have used the "search feature" and cannot find an answer.

Invest in good equipment. It does not have to be the best, but make sure it is best you can afford. As your business grows, reinvest some of the monies in better equipment and more equipment. And don't cut corners on cleaning materials, stains, your time or whatever on any job. Do the job the best that you can because you want the customer to give you referrals and you can earn better money for the same investment.

After you have been doing this for awhile, sit back and ask yourself if this is really what you want to do. Do you really enjoy all aspects of the work? Do you think you can make a living at it? Are you willing to keep learning and adapt to new ways of doing things? Do you enjoy working for yourself? If you answer yes to the questions, then keep on trucking because you will be successful. And don't worry about being discouraged at times. We have all gone thru that and still do. But we pick our heads up and get back at it.

And if your truly want to do this and you want it badly enough, don't listen to the nay sayers including your family and friends. Go for it.

Good Luck!

Terry

Dude..find Yourself Apples Number.call Hime

Get Started With A Shurflo Set Up.

If You Even Attempt Roofs With That Shame On You..

Dont Get So Defensive With That Statement But Like You I Started Off With A Home Depot Special.. And I Lost A Ton Of Money Because Of The Time I Lost Pissing In The Wind With 4.00 Gallons A Minute.

It Is A Minimal InveStment..start Now Because The Knowledge Is Here,,this Is Experience Talking And I Wish I Had Someoene Tell Me This When I First Started

GOOD LUCK

2.3 gpm is not effective enough to earn you 100.00 an hour or even 100.00 a day in this industry. Think bigger, than your current train of thought. If you are going to run a business the right way, accept the fact that you will have no time for college and your grades will suffer and you will eventually drop out.

That's because of the time and dedication it takes to run a full time exterior cleaning company. Listen to these guys..... they know....... We know....

learn from our mistakes and research the hellout of this forum because there is not as valuable of a source anywhere else to be found. Change your ideology about how big you want to grow and about your level of professionalism, because that attitude affects the industry and how it's viewed by the consumer's. The info you have given us so far is enough to know you won't last long doing it the wrong way.

None of us can negate the reality that it takes money to make money.

A better investment on your end will yield higher and faster profits vs. your current choice of equipment's ability.

Home depot and Lowes cannot instruct you or guide in any direction other than the cash register.

Because someone willing to cut corners and "get 'er done" also does not take the time to learn how to price, how to market, and how to sell. This person is in a hurry to capture a piece of the pie many of us work hard to cultivate.

Ken, ...... Hats off......... there is literally in my neck of the woods a company That has the same name as your "Catch Phrase" ( was that legal... I wasn't bashing, just relating, no names). but the phrase actually corners a particular view that the public percieves as the way it is ,this firm is feeding on that mentality and that's just how they do it. Blow and go, splash and dash, please make the check out to We don't really care.

cool statement though...... and the rest kicks a$$ too.... but that just stood out.

I love shooting my xjet at lowballers...............