Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

Government Contracting

I am curious about any of you that are interested in Government contracting.

I have a few questions for you

1. How hard are government contracts to acquire?

2. How hard are they to maintain?

3. How do they pay?

I guess I need to help this out a little bit. I do a lot of government contracting. I am attempting to help anyone that wants to learn how to go through the bid process to acquire work.

I'm very curious, how you go about it. do you do federal, state, county or local. I've gotten some county work and am under contract at the county airport as we have talked before about it

What kinds of projects are there to do for goverment contracts

just seems like every thing goverment around here is dirty and going to stay that way

Show me the way Scott

Thanks

Jeff

First of all, I do mostly cities, counties, and state work. I have not made a run at the Fed's, yet. I have bid on a couple of federal projects, but have not yet been successful.

The only one that requires a D&B number is, usually, the Fed's.

As for being low bid, it is...sort of. If you want to do a lot of personal sales to get that first contract, that is not the way that it works.

Im very interested in learning more about the bidding process Scott. I've looked at a few of the government, and private websites. Some want $20-40 dollars a month, just to e-mail you news of open bids. Ive also noticed that alot of the flatwork bids include lot sweeping.

Most government purchasing offices have a website where solicitations are posted. You can look them up there for free. You can also check with your local chamber of commerce to see if they have a program for you to receive solicitations. That way is a lot cheaper than $40 a month. I think I pay about $10.

Scott, how do i get off the lists? LOL

Just kidding, Scott loves these gov jobs. My business quit them long ago, well I have a couple but I won’t solicit them.

They have advantages, I quit back when they where catching people billing a toilet seat for 3000 and selling it.

A couple bad apples ruined this for everyone, since then they have loosened up a little but often still take the low bid.

I do open PO’s for most cities and Scott and I maybe take turns on occasion and don’t even know. I know he gets more work because he has the regular contracts.

I often refer city stuff over and request they take me off the bid lists. Somehow the purchasing people find me in there system and call.

I just hate renewable agreements, this is my preference. The economy has been fantastic and I’m sure if it goes in the toilet I can get a job with Scott washing the downtown sidewalks for one of the cities. Since I have some experience.

Inclosing this is my choice; Scott likes them and does well with them. I just don’t like the Hoops often you have to jump through. Once you get them your good to go.

I guess I need to help this out a little bit. I do a lot of government contracting. I am attempting to help anyone that wants to learn how to go through the bid process to acquire work.

I WOULD LIKE TO GET INVOLVED WITH THE GOV. CONTRACTS HERE IN GA.

IF THEIR IS ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE WOULD APPLY IT AND TRY IT

Just got my first state job !

far as they pay I have no clue yet

and best of all they called me. This work is good for one year.

All I have to do is wash steps going in to the springs on a BI-weekly service.

Will be nice in summer time but the winter with the florida costal wind will sux

Who knows maybe this will lead to more state work