Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Stripping latex high gloss paint off railings

Question

18 answers to this question

It hasn't dwelled on the green paint yet - to be honest, I think the Blue paint is a latex paint that has been formulated to be strippable - I have worked with this paint before, I think it is very different from most latex emulsions. But I will keep you posted if it works on the green paint as well.

If you get and Sodium hydroxide hot enough it's gonna melt any paint off.I've done it many times with just S/H and soap alone nothing special.

It was no where near that hot - Shane - and I looked more closely, it looked like it was starting to lift the green paint as well. I though the whole point of stripping latex - that it was darn near impossible to strip without expensive paint strippers and overnight dwells - and that's been my experience.

Well i understand Dan but being you have multiple layers of paint or primer whatever the bottom layer is? You will still need multiple strips once you remove the top layer of paint.

My guess is baking soda and water. Mildly caustic but with a twenty minute dwell time and a HPW (Hot Pressure Wash) might work.

When are you going to "reveal"?

MEK ?? Nasty stuff!

Oddly enough sometimes the first coat is a piece of cake compared to the under coatings. Usually due to poor adhesion :)

HPW (Hot Pressure Wash) might work.

using hot water is a big no no on wood...i've heard some guys using warm water or atleast in the colder months.

Except fer that np9/nonylphenyl stuff (possably the same as the banned stuff in Europe) yer recipe is sorta similar to what I mentioned in MAS (Kev's modified apple sauce).

Can anyone confirm it is same banned stuff???

well anyways...

Tambasco Sauce = Sodium percarbonate/sodium carbonate(washing soda/filler/oxy clean), tri sodium phosphate (tsp), polyoxyethylene nonylphenol (np9)

MAS= Sodium percarbonate, tsp , muleteam borax (likely does similar to the sodium cabonate far as ph stabalizing, etc.)

Works good on waterbased acrylic floor finish but so does potassium hydroxide and 2-butoxy at a more emulsified/deeper level.