Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Working Cheap In Tampa

Question

I very seldom venture off the roof cleaning forum, but I wanted to post this here.

Maybe save someone a LOT of grief if they were considering entering the pressure washing business in Tampa ?

Our main business is roof cleaning, but stupid low prices effect me too.

Here is what happened.

I just picked up the Sunday Tampa Tribune because I am looking at buying a new truck.

I looked in the Trade classifieds, and they are advertising House Washes from 59.95!

Of course, when you call, that is for a "small house"

But, even a small house is 1100 sq ft, so for an average 2200 sq ft house, that's around 100 bucks!

They LIE about being licensed and Insured, fake references, and lie about having good equipment, and experience.

The customer can not tell the difference between them and us.

I shopped one of these low ball artists, and I THOUGHT I was talking to myself !

IMHO, this is NOT, nor is it ever going to be, the business it once was.

We will survive because of our many repeat customers.

But I honestly do not know if even I could build a business today, in this market.

No one else has even picked up on the 2 year drought here in Florida.

Not only will that make less total mildew and algae to clean, but IF water restrictions hit, WATCH OUT.

Water Restrictions HURT business , we have been through them before.

Water Restrictions are almost a certainty, ONLY a couple tropical systems COULD have saved us, and it ain't happening.

43 answers to this question

Chris,

Those that you would actually want as customers, know the difference. There have always been, and will always be, those that seek to take advantage of people.

As for water restrictions, we had them here a few years ago, but the city issued exemptions to licensed contractors and roof cleaning could be done with bottled water and you don't have to rinse.

There have been a few water restrictions imposed this year locally where we are, but so far they seem to effect just those on well water. This past week we have gotten lots of rain, which we really needed.

Beth

Apple,

Sounds like the unemployment rate is up? Usually when other things slow down here the painting crews increase. It bothers me, but knowing they will only last a few weeks or months is refreshing. By building our business for tommorrow we out last this problem. We grow slower in the bad times, but continue to grow. The old Bait & Hook routine works for the gullible. The intelligent folks know they get what they pay for. I think a business could be started, even in that environment, if done slowly and correctly? Too many people figure a college business degree an old truck a few hundred in equipment is the way to make alot of money. We do know better. That is why we do what we do. We have to educate the consumer and let them know we supply Quality-Service-Price. One thing we don't have problems with in Ohio right now is a lack of Water! I'm sure some folks here would love to send you a few Billion gallons. Thank You.

"But I honestly do not know if even I could build a business today, in this market."

I Have started PW a about a year and a half ago. I went out and bought profesional equipment, profesional looking estimate uniform (Apearance is everything in business) and was trained by a guy who has been doing it for about 20yrs and very knowlagable with the area as far as PWing goes.

There is no shortage of mold here and there is a lot of PW's. Mainly guys who buy cheap equipment and call them selves "me and my son PWing" but do not do quality work. I think if all the pro's look pro, act pro and present pro, and do pro work, there is no shortage business. So far its been okay.

My $.02

"But I honestly do not know if even I could build a business today, in this market."

I Have started PW a about a year and a half ago. I went out and bought profesional equipment, profesional looking estimate uniform (Apearance is everything in business) and was trained by a guy who has been doing it for about 20yrs and very knowlagable with the area as far as PWing goes.

There is no shortage of mold here and there is a lot of PW's. Mainly guys who buy cheap equipment and call them selves "me and my son PWing" but do not do quality work. I think if all the pro's look pro, act pro and present pro, and do pro work, there is no shortage business. So far its been okay.

My $.02

When we started, we were getting more then double for what we do now.

Costs have increased, total jobs have dropped, and unit of sale is 1/2 of what it once was.

Market is saturated here in Florida.

My $.02

I agree about the pro stuff, but imagine if there were not any hacks. That would be nice. Also there are some "pro's" that that do sub par work and charge less that bring it down for all

I can't beleive that some guys clean parking garages and all they do is put down some cheap chem and rinse it out with a white tip. It does absolutly nothig, except push the dirt around and the property pays them for it.

I wish there was no hacks, oh well. I will survive, because what the hacks DONT Have is Drive, the will to do good work and drive will set the hacks apart from the pro's

America may just turn into one big Walmart

We have guys that are starting to low ball on commercial jobs around here I've been out bid on jobs lately followed up on bids and was told of the lower bid!!!!!

We have guys that are starting to low ball on commercial jobs around here I've been out bid on jobs lately followed up on bids and was told of the lower bid!!!!!

Hey Mike how you doing. I too have lost a lot of bids lately, its hard to even figure what to bid anymore.

Its a rough biz, lots of guys with nice rigs around here, a lot more than just a couple years ago

How are they able to bid so low?

It's usually due to corner cutting. Perhaps misclassifying employees as subs to avoid FICA matching, unemployment Ins., workers comp., payroll processing, etc.... Perhaps not using chems. Maybe not registered business avoiding taxes. Lots of ways to come in with bids lower than can possibly be profitable. Only possible if the consumers are willing to turn a blind eye to those practices in the name of taking the lowest bid.

Do you think perhaps this is just a wave? Like economics 101 will catch up to these guys - trucks getting reposessed in the middle of the night - and before you know it, those with staying power - once again have the market to themselves? What's really killing the trades - all those guys doing really cheap pressure washing use to employed by contractors on jobsites - but have now largely been replaced with cheaper working immigrants. These americans have to end up somewhere, or at least resort to crime.

The main problem is Americans are lazy. We don't want to do any physical work and want to get paid for it. That is why we have newbies in the painting business all the time. They don't have to have a license or any requirements in Ohio. Anybody out of work or needs a few bucks, they become painters. They do inferior work and do not work smart. As soon as they find out htere is work involved they jump ship to another trade. PWing is easy in their minds. Spray water on as powerful as they can and collect the $$. Not good for our trade. They work for BEER $$. Thank You.

We have General Contractors in Vero Beach with 13hp direct drives using a wand doing driveways for $40.00. That is a sad situation. It has gotten that bad around here. I guess people need to do whatever to feed their families.

Is there a recession coming, is the influx of illegals going to hurt us, is the falling housing boom going to hurt

We all may be in for a rough few years, only time will tell

Well its happened in my newspaper,there is a guy advertising in there for roof cleaning for $145 dollars.I have advertised in there for about a year now and now my throat is being cut by this guy,how are you suppose to get calls when he advertises this price.

Jeff---------- from what i can see there is not a recession coming,we are allready in one.

Commercial here in Tampa is a total whores market.

Many "by the hour" part timers.

Lost a big hotel roof to a part timer.

My bid ?

His bid ?

Asked him why, he said "It is only a 5 to 6 hour job, and that is 100.00 an hour".

I said "Yeah, but what about all the dead time"

he said " I have a good job, if I can make 100.00 an hour part time,, that is good enough for me"

We have General Contractors in Vero Beach with 13hp direct drives using a wand doing driveways for $40.00. That is a sad situation. It has gotten that bad around here. I guess people need to do whatever to feed their families.

25.00 is going price in Tampa for driveways, seen it quoted often.

Is there a recession coming, is the influx of illegals going to hurt us, is the falling housing boom going to hurt

We all may be in for a rough few years, only time will tell

We are IN a recession here in Florida Jeff.

Real Estate has dropped almost to Zero, and for the first time in 20 some years, MORE people are leaving Florida then are moving in.

Well its happened in my newspaper,there is a guy advertising in there for roof cleaning for $145 dollars.I have advertised in there for about a year now and now my throat is being cut by this guy,how are you suppose to get calls when he advertises this price.

Jeff---------- from what i can see there is not a recession coming,we are allready in one.

There are several 99.00 roof cleaning ads here in Tampa.

How are they able to bid so low?

Easy, they are NOT playing by the same rules as most of us.

Many are part timers, with good regular jobs.

What they make cleaning is GRAVY MONEY, not their sole income.

Then, there are the Momma's Boyz :lgwave:

You know, the ones where the wife is the primary breadwinner of the family ?

Mamma brings home the Bacon, and the Momma's Boy is only responsible for the Eggs, LOL

Many are ONLY out cleaning to "justify" to Mamma that they are "Trying" to "help out" with things.

Then, you have the ones faking disability, out cleaning for cash, the ones with Pensions, etc, etc, etc.

Wow........

I didn't realize that havinga wife that worked away from this business made someone a momma's boy.Some people actually like having nice things and in order to get them they both work.Fact is there are many household these days that have dual incomes,millions of them, so there must be a lot more mamma's boys than I thought.Wait until I tell all my friend outside of this industry what they are.The look on their faces should be priceless.

Wow........

I didn't realize that havinga wife that worked away from this business made someone a momma's boy.

It does NOT.

A Mamma's Boy in my mind is a situation where the wife has given up on the man contributing to the total household income.

So, she takes it upon herself to go out and support the household.

The Momma's Boy is content to live off his wifes income, and only works to "justify" the fact he is "trying" to help out.

I have seen this all too often here.

I have actually talked to price cutting Mamma's Boyz, and had them TELL me that their wiife made most of the money.

Thus, they didn't "need" to charge what others did.

I am a Man, and stand on my own two feet.

I could never live off a girl, but to each his own.

That said, there is nothing wrong with two people working in a marriage.

That is not what I was saying.

And IF two people are happy with one living off the other, more power to em. :lgwave:

Personally, I think it is a sad situation.

:lgtear:

Wow........

I didn't realize that havinga wife that worked away from this business made someone a momma's boy.Some people actually like having nice things and in order to get them they both work.Fact is there are many household these days that have dual incomes,millions of them, so there must be a lot more mamma's boys than I thought.Wait until I tell all my friend outside of this industry what they are.The look on their faces should be priceless.

squirtgun, i didnt interpret Apple Roof Cleaning statement that way at all. I think he meant mamas boy, as in momma told him to get a job, as long as he "has a job" then he is fine. If she divorced him he would likely be below poverty level, granted he is doing "work" not enough or at high enough rate he could support himself. Likes saying he is his own boss, owns his own business, but his old lady is keeping the ship afloat. Not that having ones wife work makes you less of a man. Thats standard fair these days. Dual income family to live in nice neighborhood, no shame in that.

He was busting the hacks ballz that they dont know they are making as much a year as a kid at wall mart and with out the old lady working a real job 40 hours with benefits he would be on some sort of assistance.

Im new here thats the way i took it.