1. 1. Global Warming - Yes Or No

• I Believe Global Warming Is Here
    • I Think Global Warming Is BS

Question

61 answers to this question

Do YOU believe in Global Warming ?

Personally, I DO, but I may be wrong.

Let's see what YOU think ?

you live in sunny florida look how hot it has been getting every summer and the water temp is way hot to

The earth is, apparently, getting warmer. However, there has always been cyclical heating/cooling of our planet. It has not been (in geologic terms) very long since the last Ice Age. What ended it? What caused the Earth to warm dramatically 10,000 years ago?

Are we causing global warming? I do not see any convincing evidence. 20 years ago, scientists (maybe even the same ones) were warning of the coming Ice Age.

I agree with Chaz and John. Normal cyclical change.. God's will as it is. That doesn't mean we don't contribute and affect the enviroment to some degree but I don't think the world is coming to an end or anything. We would need thousands of years of real world documented data to come to any kind of realistic conclusion.

Everything Changes including the weather I even remember when scientists said that we were headung for another Ice Age I think Science is extremely Subjective kind of like politicians

I have only been on Earth for 53 years.

But I can never remember it being this warm.

Maybe it is just a cycle, and it is normal.

I hope so, for OUR sake :lgtear:

BTW, did anyone notice the last two Hurricanes went Cat 5 in a Hurry ?

The Oceans water temperature is up from 1/2 to 1 degree.

Don't sound like much, does it ?

I watched a PBS program where it was explained that a 1 degree water temperature increase was equivalent to zillions of Atomic Bombs in force unleashed by storms, or something to that effect.

Polar Ice Caps are melting, Oceans are rising, so something is happening ?

In the past 100 years we have done a lot to contribute to a poor environment. We aren't going to know for sure about Global Warming probably until its to late.

I'm not a tree hugger, but all that we do is worse then, if we didn't do it. I could easily believe that there's Global warming and I think our children and/or grand children are going to have to deal with a lot of stuff and some of it will be what we have done to the environment in the past 100

Hell Chris, you are really coming up with some questions

I think the world & our country is going to hell, between our politicians, people who just don't care or have no clue, child molesters, prisons full and getting fuller, kids being brought up by parents that shouldn't even own a dog, its the dumbing of America and I just wonder what generation its all going to come to a head or just be totally different and then end as we know it

But other than that i hope we have a warm winter, I don't like the cold anymore lol

God Bless and good luck to all

The debate is an interesting one. Some things to consider.

- Earth's 4.5 billion year history is one long story of climate change. There were several periods in history, notably the Medieval Warm Period and the Holocene Maximum, which were much warmer than today. Europe experienced the Little Ice Age in the 17th century. I'm sure alarmists of that period in time also thought the world was coming to an end.

- From the 1940's until the 1980's, the Earth experienced a significant cooling period, despite the fact that industrial production and release of CO2 vastly accelerated during this time. This led to political and media hypeabout global cooling, the threat that the earth was in the midst of a new ice age.

- If the Earth was laboring under an accelerated greenhouse effect caused by human produced CO2, the troposphere (the layer of the earth's atmosphere roughly 15 miles above us) should heat up faster than the surface of the planet, but data collected from satellites and weather balloons doesn't support this fundamental presumption.

- The human contribution to carbon dioxide in our atmosphere is minimal in comparison to other natural means, including volcanic emmission and CO2 produced by animals, bacteria, decaying vegetation and the ocean. The human "carbon footprint" is vastly outweighed by all of these factors.

- Some ice caps are shrinking others are expanding. The net sum of these events is neutral. The Ocean has not risen by any significant amount in 150years.

Hell Chris, you are really coming up with some questions

God Bless and good luck to all

Hello Jeff !

I just get BURNED OUT talking shop all the time, patiently answering questions I and hundreds of others have answered many times over.

I consider someone bright enough to start a business of their own interesting, and like to hear their viewpoints.

It would be a rather boring world if we all agreed.

Plus, I am kinda "NEW" here at the Clubhouse, and just enjoying myself.

There are new some people here who usually appear very seldom at the roof forum where I stay mostly.

I agree, it is a funked up world lately.

Shoot, I hitch hiked all over the Country as a kid.

The WORST thing that ever happened in High School was after a Football game someone got a quart Beer Bottle broken over his head.

That was FRONT PAGE NEWS back then.

Now, shootings here in Tampa are common, and unless someone gets killed, seldom make news.

Crime Statistics here in Tampa are suppressed, can't scare the tourists ya know ?

Rapes, stabbings, and shootings happen every weekend in Ybor City, a wanna be New Orleans Bourbon Street part of Tampa.

It sure is a different world now, I would hate to be a kid today.

The fact that the climate is changing due to our affect on it is significant enough for me to understand that global warming is a reality. To think that we have no impact on our environment is foolish.

Look at what we do each day: pump tons of hydrocarbons and other emissions into the atmosphere each day just by running our various engines. Eventually, the residues from those emissions come back to earth in the form of pollution that ends up in the waters. Ever clean a row of houses close to an interstate? There is plenty of carbon on the siding and for those who have an airport close by, there is plenty of jet fuel that gets on the siding as well.

6.6 billion people on this planet without any ill effects? I am not trying to convince anyone else, but I take these facts for my own determination that we are the cause of global warming.

Not to argue anyone else's facts presented, but , to me, these were the basis of limited information. I don't buy into scientific history or climatology because they are learning as they go. Give em a few years and something else will change in their assumptions. The data presented today is on a global scale and not just on isolated regions of the globe.

Ice caps melting, ozone depletion, massive deforestations, air, water and land pollution...it's real.

Rod!~

I agree with the climate change but not global warming crowd. Ken stated many of the facts that I have heard many times before. Way back in the mid seventies we were all being scared to death by the new ice age that was coming according to the experts. That never happened and now 30 years later we are all supposed to be worried that the planet is going to be too hot. Just yesterday I saw a show on PBS talking about us heading into another ice age. Just watch the weather forecast for a week. If they can't predict the weather tomorrow how can they predict it 50 years from now.

The data is still hard to rely on. Just last month I read in a small back page article that many of the climate information they were using for statistics were not calculated properly. They failed to take into account the placement of the reading equiptment and even time of day that the readings were being done.

Easy to prove "global warming" if you take measurements at 8am and then 100 years later take then all at 3pm. The recalculations actually show 1934 was the hottest year not 1998

Does every one believe that all in the world should do better to curb all the different types of pollution. What we do effects many things sooner or later.

should there be Government controls & guidelines or should we just trust corporations and other countries to monitor themselves

I'd say stop deforestation too, but I really want a nice mahogany deck some day:cool:

Everything Changes including the weather I even remember when scientists said that we were headung for another Ice Age I think Science is extremely Subjective kind of like politicians

Interestingly enough, global warming can lead to an other ice age by changing ocean currents and rising ocean levels. Here's a simple explanation.

Will global warming trigger a new ice age? | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

I don't think anyone is implying that glaciers will reach the equator. In the first ice age they only reached as far south as the Great Lakes. Ocean currents are greatly responsible for climate. That's the reason why there are European cities with warmer climates than North American cities within the same lattitude range. Most of us would prefer Madrid to New York in January, and they both are roughly at 40* N lattitude.

It's just that type of cause/effect relationship that has people confused about the climatilogical consequences.

Something like 90% of scientists and at least 30 scientific societies and academies of science, including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries believe that global warming is occurring. There isn't much real debate among scientists about the fact that the earths temperature seems to be increasing. No offense guys, but I have to side with the people who study this, not some guy driving a pick-up truck and washing houses for a living.

These same scientists also belive that greenhouse gas emissions are the culprit. Who am I to argue?

Interestingly enough, global warming can lead to an other ice age by changing ocean currents and rising ocean levels. I don't think anyone is implying that glaciers will reach the equator. In the first ice age they only reached as far south as the Great Lakes. Ocean currents are greatly responsible for climate. That's the reason why there are European cities with warmer climates than North American cities within the same lattitude range. Most of us would prefer Madrid to New York in January, and they both are roughly at 40* N lattitude.

It's just that type of cause/effect relationship that has people confused about the climatilogical consequences.

Something like 90% of scientists and at least 30 scientific societies and academies of science, including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries believe that global warming is occurring. There isn't much real debate among scientists about the fact that the earths temperature seems to be increasing. No offense guys, but I have to side with the people who study this, not some guy driving a pick-up truck and washing houses for a living.

These same scientists also belive that greenhouse gas emissions are the culprit. Who am I to argue?

90 % huh, I read that some place too. I wonder who the othe 10% are, I bet those 10% are the real smart ones huh lol

Larry, the arguement is strong on both sides. In any debate that gets this heated (among the academics) two opposing sides can take the same facts and view and present them differently. The way I see it is this.. if one believes in global warming and is worried about it, what steps are they willing to take so as not to contribute to it. Its very hypocritical to be driving an 8 liter dually while saying "damn greenhouse gases"

Larry, the arguement is strong on both sides. In any debate that gets this heated (among the academics) two opposing sides can take the same facts and view and present them differently. The way I see it is this.. if one believes in global warming and is worried about it, what steps are they willing to take so as not to contribute to it. Its very hypocritical to be driving an 8 liter dually while saying "damn greenhouse gases"

It really isnt strong on both sides. This isnt a problem just to one hypocritical person driving a dually. Its a world problem, that I think every countries leaders are behind, except good ole GW. He likes going things alone doesnt he.

You know its like everything is along party lines even global warming debate. You read national review or Fox News, then you listen to CBS or PBS and you get two totally different views and for the most part its along party lines. Man we are doomed, we can't even agree on a lot of common sense things DOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD

But besides the political crap, I'm spewing, facts speak to Larrys point

90 percent? hardly

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

There have been countless interviews of the scientists who were published as supporting global warming as authors of some huge report. Many of them have sued to have their names taken off the report. They worked independently to study certain factors and their data was put together as proof of global warming. Many of them have said they dont believe in it and didnt know their work would be used to promote a cause

90 percent? hardly

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

There have been countless interviews of the scientists who were published as supporting global warming as authors of some huge report. Many of them have sued to have their names taken off the report. They worked independently to study certain factors and their data was put together as proof of global warming. Many of them have said they dont believe in it and didnt know their work would be used to promote a cause

Good information Chaz !

Though I believe in it, it is always good to hear a counter argument.

Like I said, I can be wrong.

I have been wrong before.

Life is one big learning experience.

Thank you for the input.

Here's what I don't understand. In this country alone, we record temperatures in thousands of locations and have for over a century. If the average of all these temps is higher than it was a century, is the earth not warmer? I act as the official weather observer myself when I'm at my day job here, and I am certified by the National Weather Service to do so. According to the US EPA...Records from land stations and ships indicate that the global mean surface temperature warmed by between 1.0 and 1.7°F since 1850 (see Figure 1). These records indicate a near level trend in temperatures from 1880 to about 1910, a rise to 1945, a slight decline to about 1975, and a rise to present. Here's a link to the EPA page on the subject.

Climate Change | U.S. EPA

I know that opinions can be biased, but 2+2 always equals 4. You can disregard any opinions you want from this gov't site, but we actually measure the temperature using sophisticated (and not so sophisticated) instruments. It's not like we're just asking Uncle Henry in Chippewa how the weather is up there.

I'm not accounting for the cause, someone just explain how higher temps don't mean it's warmer.

I have gas! Would it raise the temperatures a few* if I passed it? :)

Damn greenhouse gases.

On the more serious side, I have noticed a shift in season patterns in so much that they have shifted past the solstices. No, I am not a climatologist nor can I speak eloquently with the terminology, but I do notice weather patterns due to the fact that we woodies are so interminably affected by them.

Rod!~