Sign in to follow this  
Young1

I purchased a 100 dollar e-book about starting a power washing company have questions

Question

Well I am planning on starting a part time business specializing in deck restoration. I purchased this certain e-book to learn about stripping, neutralizing and sealing decks. I really got nothing out of the e-book that I already did not know from researching. It said to use a 3000 psi washer power wash and coat with Sherwin Williams sealer. I have heard differently everywhere else about everything the e-book has said. I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere or anyone that could help inform me about these processes and correct chemicals to use.

Thanks,

Ryan

26 answers to this question

I can't do that sorry I am not going to get sued by the company.

Just sell it to kevin for a $1. They can't sue you if you sell it. Only if you sell it to more than one person.

Besides, it sounds like you got ripped off.... telling you to use 3000 psi and that sherwin crap.

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to TGS. You should look here: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item

for some basics on wood care. Also if you search here using words like: deck stripping, deck sealer, pressure treated deck, etc. you will find lots of results. You might also want to go through the wood specific forums.

Welcome! :)

Beth :cup:

Yup, doesn't take much to eat up a deck...

My pres gage was reading 1700 the other day when I was doing construction cleanup on concrete... 15% tip was fine for most the mess but held real close wouldn't budge adhesives walked all over the place, concrete splatter left for months, and some kind of epoxy stuff... DID leave chicken tracks, though.

And then there was the massive paint spill...

I'd give up my 5.6gpm @ 2500psi for a pump that would put out more gpm @ less pressure. REALLY want a hotbox.

z

I still have not found anything regarding my questions just a bunch of random threads about certain situations.

After arriving at a job site you

1. unload equiptment

4.power wash

5.seal with spray bottle and paint rails

6.profit

Thats seriouslly the extent of the book. I am just trying to get a feel for common procedures that u guys use. Like do you use different chemicals on different wood. what chemicals do you guys use. Strippers, neutralizers, brightners, and sealers is that the 4 things you use on each job.

I learned everything from the famous Wood Guru" Juan Marks". He taught me how to leave my signature in the wood every time."Juan Marks" book is filled will great advice! How to start and stop on wood, How to clean wood with a turbo. "Juan Marks" has been the key to my success in woodcare!! Buy his Book " How to Develop a WoodKare Business with Juan Marks"

From the page:

Let's say the 1st and 2nd years you clean & seal

120 decks a year

(only 5 decks a week for six months)

With an average charge of $350

Your earnings per year would be $42,000

The information above is a little misleading.

• To get 120 deck means your phone has to ring with estimate requests at least 250 times. That will cost a new guy about $8000 in advertising.

• No way a one man operation is going to complete 5 decks per week. You have to let a deck dry before you put stain on. Even using a product like Wood Tux the wood has to be dry before you can sand or defur (did they mention that in the book?) Now factor in rain days and you may complete 2-3 decks per week. But we'll use the five decks per week mentioned in the example to keep it simple.

• What about the cost of materials, gas, insurance,maintenance and depreciation? Factoring 3 gallons of stain per deck plus the other costs: subtract another $13,000

So the realistic "earnings" are as follows:

$42,000 minus $8000 (advertising) minus $13,000 (in expenses)= $21,000. Now if you want to grow your business and let the business support itself and pay for future advertising, you should leave 20% of your gross earnings in the bank. So if you work six days per week, run around like a madman doing estimates into the night, every night, you can expect to earn about $14,500 after taxes your first year.

Its not as grim as that as long as you learn how to measure and price your decks and maximize your efficiency. Doing $350 jobs will keep you broke and working hard. The site is right about one thing.. if you can deal with the lousy earnings the first few years, things start to really take off after the third year.

Focus on learning the marketing, selling, and business aspect of deck restoration and you will fare far better than trying to figure out the best technique.

I can sell fire to the devil or ice to an eskimo. Not to be cocky or anything but I could probally sell for your companies without much product knowledge and close more deals than you. I have a full time sales job and I am one of the lead sales agents in the whole company. I am tired of making other people money.

Good. You are one step up then. Add in integrity, underpromising and overdelivering, an ability to understand marketing and what works, organization, prayer and humility and you may be around next year. I look forward to reading your trials and tribulations.

In my signature is a link to my DIY Forum. I have a contractors only section there where we discuss marketing and business concept. I'd love to have you contribute sales tidbits. If you'd like to come over and join, you are welcome to. Shoot me a pm after you sign up (DIYadminKen) so I can approve you for that section.

Hopefully if I do it correct, you will not have to read my tribulations, But thank you for incinuating that you will be there to see me through them. Humility and organization are areas that I need a little work. I am very good with computers, microsoft excell, and web design. If I can add anything to anyones lives to make business easier ask me. I can program all kinds of stuff in excel just about anything you would normaly pay for, I can also help out with website problems and programing.

I would love to join the diy forum

Hopefully if I do it correct, you will not have to read my tribulations, But thank you for incinuating that you will be there to see me through them. Humility and organization are areas that I need a little work. I am very good with computers, microsoft excell, and web design. If I can add anything to anyones lives to make business easier ask me. I can program all kinds of stuff in excel just about anything you would normaly pay for, I can also help out with website problems and programing.

I would love to join the diy forum

First problem you could fix.... Please add a signature. :lgwave:

Well you found the right place. There are tons of pros on here to help you in your biz. I'm 22 and started 2 years ago. This forum has been the #1 tool I have used to help in starting a PW biz. Just search all over this site and you'll find an A to your Q.

There you guys go my sig now says my name and gender, I hope this clears things up Ken.

Where is Winchester, Ohio? Feel free to give me a call in the spring. You can come and ride with us for a few days if you want. Learning hands on will go a long way. And of course, some Excel help, like you mentioned.

In the meantime, learn to market your company. Start with your business name, business plan, who you will market to and the services you will provide. Being confident is only half the battle. Everyone starts out that way. Learn to survive the first couple of years while you learn everything you can and you will be successful and profitable.