Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Power Washing Guide Scams

Question

12 answers to this question

Excellent Ken! You know I'd buy it!

I'm posting this as a caution to the newer folks, I've never heard of one that was worth the money.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to see the book.

Otherwise there's no simple way, use the boards and do some labor for learnin'.

All of the new guys or the ones that have been in business for less than five years or so are extremely lucky.

You all have some type of net work base to help out and give great advice or help in all aspects of this business.

I bet sometimes this will determine the decision if a person will enter into the Pressure Washing Profession or not.

Books

BBS's

Round tables

Conventions

Vendors

Education classes offered

(and more sources......) were not around when us old timers started our Business. All I can say is use these tools to help you make the correct decisions to save yourself TIME and MONEY of the pitfalls that I have done in the beginning years of my Pressure Washing Profession. There was nothing around or if it was it was hard to find the correct guidance of this industry trade.

Good luck to all!

All of the new guys or the ones that have been in business for less than five years or so are extremely lucky.

You all have some type of net work base to help out and give great advice or help in all aspects of this business.

I bet sometimes this will determine the decision if a person will enter into the Pressure Washing Profession or not.

Books

BBS's

Round tables

Conventions

Vendors

Education classes offered

(and more sources......) were not around when us old timers started our Business. All I can say is use these tools to help you make the correct decisions to save yourself TIME and MONEY of the pitfalls that I have done in the beginning years of my Pressure Washing Profession. There was nothing around or if it was it was hard to find the correct guidance of this industry trade.

Good luck to all!

You were lucky Tony to start when you did - less competition, .99cents per gallon gasoline, better economy, and more understanding customers that haven't been Walmartized by cheaper is better.

Just messin with ya, your right about technology these days ain't it great? Good talkin with ya the other day.

I think that there is a certain benefit in performing the labor and in trying to come to a conclusion of what the appropriate actions are to resolve a problem. The pressure washing guides serve a purpose. The biggest thing they do is to give a VERY broad over view of the business that we all enjoy...most days.

As for me, I have tried to write one, and it was almost impossible because I do not think like an author, and I tend to give people credit for having a brain. Unfortunately, I am often proved wrong on how stupid people can be.

Quite honestly, I think that anyone that truly wants to start a business in this industry, or any industry needs to understand a few basic concepts.

1. They need to understand what a business is, and how it operates.

2. They need to understand that they need to make a profit and how to run a profit loss analysis.

3. They need to have a VERY basic concept of what ever industry they are trying to break into

4 Finally, they need to have both proper capitalization without any intention of taking a salary for a while, and the ability and desire to spend the time to work through any problems that might arise. This and about any other business is not a 5 day a week 8 hour operation on start up. There is always something to be done.

Barry

You are correct back in the late 80's early 90's things were much different and we did have little to no competition. I don't recall gas prices but back then it was not a issue like it is today.

It can be hard for the newer companies in this industry to date. Its a inexpensive business to start up so every one try's it.

Now at least the industry has some type of Network to help find the answers and get educated and general help. It's difficult now to offer the same services back in the day to make good profit. I find ourselves needing to do different add on service for the Home owners to help raise the bottom line up.

For example, we need to offer more services like the following to our customers to stay ahead of the competition.

*house wash

*decks

*roof cleanings

*concrete clean/seal

*garage floor coatings

*front stoop coatings

*gutter cleaning

*vinyl restoration

*some painting

are all things I bid when ask to bid for a general House Wash and let the customer choose what services they would like. But some of these services we now offer is because of the Networking that is taking place with in our industry now. Back in the beginning I would only offer one or two of the services I listed above, because I knew nothing of anything else back then or where to find it and get educated on it. This is where the new guys can benefit today!

Stay abreast of new services to offer your customers makes the difference of building your business. If you just wash houses and decks only it hard to survive if you have employees.

I think that there is a certain benefit in performing the labor and in trying to come to a conclusion of what the appropriate actions are to resolve a problem. The pressure washing guides serve a purpose. The biggest thing they do is to give a VERY broad over view of the business that we all enjoy...most days.

As for me, I have tried to write one, and it was almost impossible because I do not think like an author, and I tend to give people credit for having a brain. Unfortunately, I am often proved wrong on how stupid people can be.

Quite honestly, I think that anyone that truly wants to start a business in this industry, or any industry needs to understand a few basic concepts.

1. They need to understand what a business is, and how it operates.

2. They need to understand that they need to make a profit and how to run a profit loss analysis.

3. They need to have a VERY basic concept of what ever industry they are trying to break into

4 Finally, they need to have both proper capitalization without any intention of taking a salary for a while, and the ability and desire to spend the time to work through any problems that might arise. This and about any other business is not a 5 day a week 8 hour operation on start up. There is always something to be done.

Well put Scott.

Most of the failures that I have seen over the years is due to the inability to understand the overall business operation and the expectations that you can take off whenever you feel because your the business owner. This business is definitely a 24-7 lifestyle.

Well put Scott.

Most of the failures that I have seen over the years is due to the inability to understand the overall business operation and the expectations that you can take off whenever you feel because your the business owner. This business is definitely a 24-7 lifestyle.

Definitly 24/7 for sure. I have my biz in my thoughts at every turn, when I go to sleep and I enjoy working it all the time. I love this biz and its a joy to watch it grow. I set goal and before i reach them, I'm setting new goals.

Everything in life is what you put into it. These BB's are such a great source and anyone who thinks they can just sit back and watch it grow, is wrong,YOUmake it grow

I have a lot of business inabilities, but I work at them and I figure how to make up for some of my inabilities in other ways

I love the PWing BIZ

All of these resources are only a Tool, as if a "spinner nozzle" is a Tool in your tool boxes. It depends on how you use your tool's if you are going to damage something or do something great with your tool's.

Oh, boy It's winter time and I guess I became a ''''Philosopher''''! I need a job or hit the vacation sceen.