Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

winter is here, what's your plan

Question

I ask this question every winter so hopefully i find a response that I like. For us northern washers what does everyone do to make ends meet in the winter? I've done painting, home improvement, random odd jobs, but it seems like every year I'm performin bullcrap tasks to make ends meet until mid March hits. There has to be something out there that can provide the kind of money we make in the "on" season. What's everyone doing?

16 answers to this question

Wish I had a salt spreader on the back of the truck right now. We're going on our 3rd day of ice and freezing rain.

I usually do handyman type jobs for acquaintances and keep up my couple truck fleet and car lot accounts.

Well we really don't have winter here in NC like you do but business still is slow. So i'm putting up christmas lights for a customer. I would think that would be somthing you could definatly do there. Some do quite well $$ with it. My brother operates a law care biz and on his forum a lot of guys do the xmas lights. in the off season. Anyway, a thought. Merry Christmas.

Snowplowing here in Massachusetts. Don't like the jb so much but the money is very good.

Early this morning (1:30am) I was sanding / salting the sidewalks when the police pulled in the parkinglot to talk to me. They wanted to know how long I was working in that lot, where I was before, etc. Seems somebody with a newer white chevy truck with a plow hit a person in the street about a mile down the road. Description fit my truck almost 100 percent. As they were questioning my a call came in on their radio. They caught the right guy. Whew.

Tomorrow we start cleaning a 650,000 sq.ft. warehouse. Last week we were cleaning clogged drains in an underground garage (and then video taping the end results). We have a couple dealership shop floors we do.

I've come to realize there is more winter work out there if you just get a little creative with your equipment. I definately intend on being busy 12 months of the year. This will be my last slow season.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I have been off since mid-Oct by choice and will stay in the holiday mode until after Jan 1.

Heading to Vegas next week to spend X-mas down there.

Spent more time with my daughter these last 2 months. It is a great feeling to be home when she leaves for school and be home when she walks through the door!

Carlos, way to go, taking time to stop and smell the roses. Good for you.

I just got back from Mexico, Christmas is almost here, & then off to Cuba, then British Columbia. Life is to short. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. It's not a matter of can you afford it, it's a matter of can you afford not to. I love taking off to recharge the batteries.

British Columbia...was just there back in Sept via Celebrity Cruise lines. Vancouver - wonderful city!!

Richard ... you and I think the same. One must need to take time off to recharge those batteries. Merry Christmas buddy!!!!

Hey Carlos,

It was nice meeting you in Pa. at the round table. I'm also headed to Vegas December 17th thru 22nd. Its a present from my wife for the big 40 birthday bash. We decided to take all three of our girls to play. We also invited the in-laws as well as my two nephews that work for us.

The plans are set in renting two Hummer's H2 for the week to go off roading in the Land of Land burro Management trails marked by the government, hiking in Red Rock canyon and Fire canyon. Dune buggying north of the strip by the race track sand dunes, Hoover Dam, driving down to Oatman AZ to see the Donkey's that run free in the town, catching a few night time show for the entire Family that are "G" rated.

Carlos, I can set a night aside for dinner if you would like, because we have the in-laws along to watch our girls at night if we need them to.

Send me a PM if you like so we can make contact.

If this does not work out for you that's ok. We are headed to Mexico in January and February, so we can meet there also if needed.

(Cancun, MX)

Maybe Rod can chime in here for other entertainment in Vegas since he lived out there at one time. Please keep in mind Rod, I have our girls with us that the oldest is nine. Ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Tony

Oh, my advise for this thread is work hard during your prime season and Play harder in the off season.

Tony,

The pleasure was all mine in PA.

I am in Vegas starting Friday, Dec 21st....I should roll in sometime late afternoon. Driving in from Ca so traffic will dictate the actual time I get there.

If you are game for a late dinner (7ish or 8ish) let's try to do something - I should be in town by then I would think. Would love to hook up with you.

What time do you leave on the 22nd? If dinner is not possible on Friday...maybe we can hit the breakfast buffett at Ceasar's or something.

Hit me with a PM ~ let me know where you are staying. My sis-in law has a place not too far from the strip. Let's try to hook up ---

Back to the topic!!:lgkeyboar

Jamie, I have slept better since I finally made the decision to stop worrying about the winter. Part time rotational crews that all know going into season that winter business does not exist. I charge high enough to keep the corporation going and continue to funnel profits into other ventures that sustain profit year round. There really isn't much choice unless you want to scramble every winter and do the odd jobs, become a handyman or get a job. To be honest, I have no desire to spray water when its cold and have trouble finding guys that do.

in my case i'm happy to be a part timer. i work the day shift in maintenance for the local goodyear tire plant. believe it or not but i am an electrician by trade but never pursued getting my license to do residential wiring. i've always regretted not doing that. during the summer i have no problem finding someone on the night shift that will trade out with me so i can free up my days if need be. i need 6 more years to have my 30 years of service so i can retire with full benefits (medical). i'll then consider leaving goodyear and doing this on a regular basis. hopefully you guys will still be around to hold my hand if necessary. i'm like you ken, i have no desire to spray water when it is cold.

rando

Sure sounds like you guys are having lots of fun!

If it's gonna be a slow season for me I got out my metal detectors and I'm going gold hunting.

Belay that!

I'm going gold finding.

Already been dragging out the fishing gear from storage.