Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

'08 Economy Poll

How is the Economy affecting your business?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How is the Economy affecting your business?

• Not at all.
    • Too soon to tell.
    • Yeah, it is affecting my business.
    • I am concerned for my business.
    • I have had to look into other options to stay busy.
    • I need to find a job.

No contracts, no paper work, it will run ya about this much Lad.....

Hah! Out with the Diamond Jim, in with Jesse James.

Really picked up this week. Closed 6K in decks since Tuesday. Started operations today cleaning the first job of the season. Help! Worked less than 3 hours and I'm beat. Can't wait for college to get out.

Its been a late start to the season due to weather, but my new business (1st time customers) is up from the past few years.

My business is up over 40% from the first quarter of last year. Keep in mind I am just getting into my third year so last years numbers were not what some of the more established companies here are.

Still all things considered I am optimistic about the year. Have about 6k booked right now. More quotes out there also that will hopefully come through. I am busting my rear to keep this thing going. This will be the year that makes or breaks me.

Jobs on top of jobs on top of jobs

But Diesel prices are getting crazy Thursday at the station we go to was $3.94, Friday $3.99, Saturday $4.05, Monday $4.09 all i got to say is what the heck is going on with that

I do know a lot of middle class in a few different feilds are loosing their jobs or have to transfer. There's a lot of people that are just holding the breathe. I wish something would just break and let the good times roll again. I'm lucky many are not.

It is very strange. With all the doom and gloom, recession, record fuel prices, falling real estate values and high foreclosure rates, our little business could not be doing better. We are now solidly booked out 7 weeks, and it appears that even August will be a strong month.

Are numbers are good so far this year but do have some down time. I have lost a lot of work to unqualified very LOW BALLER companies. I have had some bids where they called me and said I won the bid, but they can't do the work yet due to delinquent HOA dues, I have some PM's or HOA's that are skipping a annuall cleaning due to funds

Constant targeting has kept my numbers up and am getting new work, but its getting tough out there

well back to stuffing envolopes and faxing!!!!!!

Im not sure what to put on the vote. I would say its effecting my business, but its for the better, which I don't think was what that option on the poll meant.

I'm almost double from last year. People are all about getting more done around the home....especially those who tried to sell and then decided to stay. They start pouring money into home maintenance....such as decks!! cha-ching

Do not believe the government schooled,university papered ,corporate Borg.

American prosperity is all about small biz.Always has been.

It is we who buck the fashionable mindset.

Americans do not become overwhelmed by circumstance,we,historically OVERCOME ANY obstacle...and PROSPER in spite of the panty wringers.

This must not be forgotten.

I live and do business in the people's republic of N.Y.

There is no place in these United States that is more challenging in relation to illegal taxation and regulation to do business in.(even in the governator's state).

We simply need to stand and fight.

If we don't ...all is lost.

Do not be deceived by the new religion of global warming scat of energy prices,the mental disorder of Pelosi,or any powertition!

We fight the battle of Thermophiles.

Stand ,Fight and PROSPER!

To be brutally honest - I think business sucks right now - the customers I do get have been absolutely wonderful people, probably better than I have ever had. Just not enough of them - and with winter right around the corner - I am extremely worried about my options....

Credit card, what's that? Haven't had a credit card in over 4-5 years. Took a loan with my credit union and paid off my credit card in 2 years. I had no idea how hard life would be to live without credit. But hey Uncle Sam knew that - and knew if they didn't offer sub-prime mortgages to poorer folks - that eventually everyone would wake up and question their government.

O my GOSH!!! Did you guys hear that in some instances of these people who cant pay their mortgages were cat juggling? Yea so just like "The Jerk" Uncle Sammie ponied up our money to fix it.

Politicians win again and we the people lose big.

I was again reading of different aspects regarding the housing bubble, and this facet popped up...

From the Associated Press (via CBS 13):

The house was ravaged -- its floors ripped, walls busted and lights smashed by owners who trashed their home before a bank foreclosed on it. Hidden in the wreckage was an abandoned member of the family: a starving pit bull. The dog found by workers was too far gone to save -- another example of how pets are becoming the newest victims of the nation's mortgage crisis as homeowners leave animals behind when they can no longer afford their property.

Pets "are getting dumped all over," said Traci Jennings, president of the Humane Society of Stanislaus County in northern California. "Farmers are finding dogs dumped on their grazing grounds, while house cats are showing up in wild cat colonies."

The situation has become so widespread that the Humane Society urged home owners faced with foreclosure to take their animals to a shelter. Shelters are trying to keep up, but the spike in abandoned pets comes at a time when fewer people are adopting animals. Home sales are plunging to their lowest level in decades, and new homeowners are often the most likely to seek a pet.

Even people who are buying homes are not adopting pets. "People are not bringing home puppies because times are tough, and animals cost money," said Sharon Silbert, president of Animal Rescue of Tracy, a community near Stockton.

There was also a lot of dialog coming out of Merced in CA's central valley.

I wish everyone and your family well in the face of this financial situation of our country. Given the state of the economy and the bailout situation, how are things for you?

We post threads like this as meters for others to gauge business trends and anticipate any downturns as they pertain to our industry.

It has been since February that this poll has been out and I am wondering how things may have changed for those who voted they are 'not affected at all' or 'too soon to tell'?

Rod!~

Rod - I know for a fact that a bunch of contractors aren't doing well and haven't been doing well for quite some time. Yet they come on these forums and talk about how great they're doing. It's utter B/S. There is one contractor here that says their phone is ringing off their hook. Yet when I talked on the phone with another contractor who had spoken to them over the phone - he told me they were constantly excusing themselves for blowing off all their bill collectors that were constantly ringing in on their call-waiting line. This economy sux. And everyone who is doing well - is living off of repeat old customers, and work that was scheduled along while ago from referals. I highly doubt guys are really doing well in the 'new' customer acquisition department.

Dan , you are correct Sir! The" Bail Out" caused everyone to do a 180 on their thought process. I"m trying recover from the POP up Thunder Storms in Spring and Summer. Oh what a Bummer! 2010 will be a good year, back to washing windows I guess?

Things are slow here too. I have bid more shopping centers here in September and October. I am hoping they will lead to more contracts for 2009 and some more work in the remaining quarter of this year. I have been cold calling some other commercial locations without much success.

Residential remains extremely slow. My son has a lawn service business and we put out 1,000 door hangers two weeks ago and receieved all of two phone calls.

Things are slow here too. I have bid more shopping centers here in September and October. I am hoping they will lead to more contracts for 2009 and some more work in the remaining quarter of this year. I have been cold calling some other commercial locations without much success.

Residential remains extremely slow. My son has a lawn service business and we put out 1,000 door hangers two weeks ago and receieved all of two phone calls.

As sad as you may think that sounds - that's a 0.2% callback rate - I've been experiencing less than half of that on my direct mailers. Yahoo - winter is right here -

Is anyone else mad...the rich got richer and Joe Six Pack middle America is bailing them ALL out and yes paying their bills. I am just sick about this whole finacial worldwide crisis